“You gotta stay here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 371 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Picton, New Zealand
“You gotta stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here in early December and this is the first time I have left a review on trip advisor, but this place is exceptional! It is great value for money, clean, great location but above all else the proprietors are absolutely fantastic. It is rare to get such a warm and continuous welcome at any guesthouse you stay at. The facilities were excellent - hot showers! after a while of budget travel we all appreciate this much more, free wifi and a restaurant on premises also free tea on arrival!! Would recommend this place to anyone! I would like to extend thanks to the lovely family who own the guest house, they answered all of our questions even preempted a lot of them, every time we arrived back they enquired about our day and if we needed anything and were always more than willing to lend a hand with a smile! Fantastic!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lviv, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

What can i say ..
1. the prices 3 times smaller i lived before - conditions better
2. very nice friendly owners really trying, you to feel good
3. Laundry is right-in in the place
4. Clean drinking water also in the place
5. wifi connections always available (important when u traveling ))
6. Situated in really nice place central part {everything y need is near)
7. hot shower 24 hours (very important )
8. if to ask you could even fill the indian viza online foarm ))

9. BEST PLACE TO STAY IN KATHMANDU :))

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stupa House is run by a very nice family.
It is only a few minutes by foot from Thamel, where you can find all kind of restaurants and stores.
I was really glad, that i could spend a few days in the Stupa House. It is quiet compared to the busy tourist streets in Thamel.
The family was very nice and helped me always, when I was asking for something.
I really recommend this place to visitors in Kathmandu!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stupa house was our saviour when we arrived in Kathmandu early one morning after a long and bumpy bus ride into Nepal. It is a basic place but is spotlessly clean, comfortable and light filled and has everything you need. It is located just on the edge of hectic Thamel and is slightly calmer.

Ram and his brother Dorje are incredibly helpful and will go out of their way to help you and can organise trips and lifts if you need. I became I'll at one point and Ram helped me out with tea and good food when I needed it. We ended up staying a total of 3 weeks in between hiking trips and felt completely comfortable leaving excess luggage in their hands. I was sad to leave as I felt like part if the family! I cannot recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: If you are a late riser (like I can be) you might prefer rooms on the upper floors as it can be a bi...
Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

If you are going to Kathmandu, this is the place to stay!
The hosts (Ram, Kumari and Dorje) are so hospitable that I stayed an extra two days because they are so fantastic.
The rooms are immaculate and very accommodating as I was on a students budget, but I lived like royalty. I had a queen size bed, my own ensuite with toilet and a lovely hot shower and I had the fortune of being on the top floor which has access to views of the city and some mountains as well as the alfresco area at the top of the hotel.
The food... the food at the restaurant is amazing!!! Eat here morning, noon and night. Lots of local and your home country options. They are beautiful cooks and the prices are exceptional for the budget conscious.
Dorje showed me all the sites of Kathmandu for over 10 hours each of the two days, this was fantastic as he also gives you the history and you could never cover this kind of territory by yourself or via taxi. He even took me to see the amazing views of the himalaya's for sunset in Nagarkot. Amazing service!
Ram and his family treat you like you are one of the family. They are the most wonderful people you will ever meet in the world. Ram booked my Everest scenic flight, taxi if I need one, my bus to the next city and took me to a place to call my family back home, let me use the free wi fi and lap top, and even got me a birthday cake for my birthday.
Just get a taxi from the airport and come straight here. You won't be disappointed. Amazing service, hospitality and prices.
Nigel Pavilach.

Room Tip: I did not book in advance, I had amazing luck. My stay was $10USD per night. It was worth ten time...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Positives:

The family was initially very friendly and made us feel at home

The rooms are spacious and mostly clean

The family tried very hard to fix the problems we had (but unfortunately didn't manage to)

The price is decent (having shopped around other places in Thamel)

We felt safe leaving our bags with the hotel whilst on a 2 week trek

Negatives:

After we found a couple of problems with our room including WiFi and hot shower, the owner became extremely unfriendly and in the last three nights didn't smile at us once. It made us really uncomfortable to the extent that we left to a different more expensive hotel. However, the rest of the family remained friendly.

The shower in all three rooms had issues, and after the owner trying numerous times, the shower was still not hot for all 6 nights we stayed there. (They do however have a shared bathroom with a gas shower so we were able to shower, BUT we had paid for a room with a hot shower and were not given one)

The food we had whilst there wasn't great and the portions of chips were tiny!

The doors to the hotel close at 10pm. Despite this, the owner did let us in after 10pm, but didn't seem happy about it. It would be much better if guests felt they could come and go freely. It is weird feeling like you have a curfew.

During our second stay here we were provided with a VERY stained sheet.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Thanks very much to Ram, Dorje and family for looking after us and making us feel like part of the family! Stupa house is located in the heart of Thamel, but slightly away from the main touristic area, the rooms are spacious, light filled, immaculate and fantastic value for money (free wifi, towels, service on request). We will definitely be back and can't recommend this place highly enough: we ended up staying for 3 weeks!

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Stupa Guest House and Restaurant? Share your experiences!