“An excellent choice in Kathmandu” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shambaling Boutique Hotel

You added Shambaling Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Shambaling Boutique Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near the great Boudha Stupa | Boudha, Kathmandu 1001, Nepal   |
Ranked #6 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
vienna
“An excellent choice in Kathmandu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Shambaling hotel and loved every minute of it! The hotel is spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and extremely well run, from management down to security. All staff were wonderful to be around and contributed greatly to the enjoyment of my stay with their decency, helpfulness and sincerity. Located on the outskirts of Kathmandu in Bouda, iit is a peaceful haven away from hubbub of the central districts and I would make this my first choice on returning to the city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
JIgme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Shambaling. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. It will be our plesure to have you back at Shambaling. We look forward to welcom e you again soon.
Warm regards,
Jigme Phuntsok Chodon / Mrs.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights. It was a fulfilling and happy experience for me and my friend. The hotel is neat and clean, food is prepared well, very quite and peaceful place, big and beautiful open area in the hotel, very friendly and supportive staff, and overall a great place in Kathmandu. Close to Boudha stupa makes it very attractive. An afternoon walk to Boudha from the hotel, to hear the monks chants at the stupa is a delight. I would recommended this hotel to anyone. If I get a chance, I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JIgme Phuntsok C, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you very much taking the time to write the wonderful review. Appreciation from our guests like you is what motivates us to always be at our best. It was a pleasure to have you at Shambaling.

I will convey your appreciation to all my staffs and we all look forward to having you at the Shambaling in the neat future.

Best wishes from the whole Shambaling family.
Warm Regards,
Jigme Phuntsok Chodon
GM
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at the Shambaling Hotel in November and December, 2012. This hotel was special in every way. The decor was exquisite; the venue handy to all main attractions; the food wholesome and meticulously prepared - and the Manager and staff of the Hotel were so kind and thoughtful, I thought I had discovered "heaven". I have travelled the world many times and the atmosphere and service at this hotel was nothing short of extraordinary. You will not be disappointed if you want a quiet stay in the midst of exciting but hectic Kathmandu. Whether you are on a pilgrimage, or merely sight-seeing, I recommend you don't miss this special treat. The staff will tell you how to reach the hotel. So book or telephone as early as you can to take the strain out of your travelling experience. Trisha E (Australia)

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 219 - which was beautiful. But every floor in this hotel is decorated in a specia...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Prashant S's review says it all, but I'll try to write a review of my own anyway. I spent a total of five nights at Shambaling, using it as base for other travels in Nepal. Not just a base, but truly a *home* base; I was always glad to return to the smiling faces, warm greetings, and beautiful room after a few nights away. The staff knew me by name seemingly within minutes, and always welcomed me back. Service is impeccable and sincere, and they will go out of their way to assist you.

The hotel and rooms are spotlessly clean, towels and linens always fresh, and the rooms very thoughtfully appointed with such amenities as a fridge, universal plug adapters, flashlight (keep it with you at all times after dark as electricity can go out any time), electric kettle and china mugs and fixings for tea and coffee. My only complaint is the bed--it's so cozy with its thick soft duvet that it's hard to get out of it in the morning (and the electric bed-warmer makes it even worse). The bathrooms have the usual toiletries provided, and a walk-in shower with steaming hot water. As noted in other reviews, the rooms on each floor follow the Buddhist concept of kalachakra, and the color schemes are very tasteful. The wood floors provide a lovely foil for the decor.

The restaurant serves the best daal bhat I had in Nepal, made creamy and unusual with a little coconut milk. The waiter suggested I try the momo (dumplings) and they, too, were delicious. The beer is cold and white wine pretty decent. Breakfast is basic eggs/toast (though they do have whole wheat)/sausage/cereals/etc. and is served starting at 7 a.m., allowing one to get an early start on the day.

I loved the location in the Bouda district, just a ten-minute walk to the famous stupa. I got spoiled not having to deal with the craziness of Kathmandu, enjoying the gentle bustle in the stupa area. I felt perfectly safe walking to dinner there at night alone.

Shambaling is an astounding value for such a beautiful and well-run place, and I would certainly book it again.

Room Tip: Avoid the lower-number rooms which are close to the new generator and a yappy dog.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ShambalingKTM, General Manager at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Ms. White,

It was a pleasure to have you at Shambaling and thank you for making Shambaling your base during your stay in Kathmandu.

We are humbled by your appreciation and detail mentioned in your review. We will continue to maintain the same standard in our service in future as well. Such feedback encourages us to work harder and ensure that each and every guest experiences the same at Shambaling.

The entire team look forward to having you again at Shambling on your next visit.

Best Wishes,
Jigme Phuntsok Chodon
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My Father and I arrived at the Shambaling after a shambolic taxi journey (an experience we now laugh about, but it certainly got the blood pumping at the time of the time), to a wonderfully warm reception. The standard and professionalism of the staff is equally friendly, warm and constantly attentive.
The location is perfect for the Boudah Stupa as well as the wonderfully unique back streets, full of a myriad of local vendors. We walked around the city, and found the location of the hotel ideal, due to it's logistical nuance (i.e. not centrally located).
My Father and I had a fantastic experience in Kathmandu, with the added bonus of wonderful staff and surroundings making it the juxtapositioned experience (relaxing around the Stupa's, as well as the energetic and exciting nature of the locality - flights around Everest, getting around the city, etc) we were looking for.
I'll be back with my family next Summer, when the weather changes from the 25 Degree C, blue skies of December to the Summer Monsoon's.
A wonderful experience we should all enjoy at least once.
Best.
Robert JC Burns

Room Tip: Apologies to say, but due to the 'load shedding', there can be a lack of power, which transl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dawa S, Inhaber at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Robert

First of all happy New Year and all the best for you and your family.

It’s great to hear that you and your father had such a good time at Shambaling. We are working very hard and we will forward your comments to all our staff. They will be very happy to know about your great feedback. We are very happy to have you back next summer. The whole Shambaling family is waiting for you.

Kind regards and
Tashi Delek (Tib. blessings and good luck )

Dawa S.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Shambaling is NOT the hotel you want to go to if you desire an industrial 5 star Hotel experience. It is NOT the hotel you want to go if you want TV, 24 hour coffee shops and a shopping center. However, it is a hotel to go to if you want exceptional service that is personalized - the staff are genuinely caring. It is a hotel to go to if you want to soak in the quiet calm, and if you want to connect with yourself in a manner of speaking. I went on a work related trip and I must warn travelers that the Hotel is not easy to locate if you are a new comer to Kathmandu. Also do plan to start about 20-25 min before time to go the center of the town. Having said that, it was not a big deal to sacrifice - the charm, calm & clean environs at the Shambalinga was a perfect retreat to begin the day and to head back to at the end of the day - so starting the day 20 minutes before was not really an issue ultimately. Here is a short url link from Chabahil Chowk to the hotel - it was the easiest route one gets to know after making all the mistakes (http://goo.gl/maps/D7v9M) .

The rooms are great - clean, well appointed and tastefully done with a nice local flavor; the breakfast service and food in the restaurant was excellent; the front desk people put up with all our requests with a smile and calm efficiency. Many times, reviews could be hyped - but in this case, I endorse the other views fully. Like to thank Tenzing (she was wonderful at the Front Desk), Sanjay (who was very patient in guiding us in several times), Biswas and other staff. It was a pleasure to meet the serene Mrs. Jigme Phunstok Chodon who made sure that we felt at home in her delightful hotel. Will stay again there...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Prashant

First of all happy New Year and all the best for you and your family.

Wow what a feedback. Many thanks that you stayed with us. And we really appreciate, that you took so much time to send us such a great feedback. Feedbacks like this make us even work harder and confirm us, that we are on the right path.

We will be very happy to forward your comments to all our staff. Tibetan hospitality and Swiss first class hotel service are values, which we would like to offer to all our clients every day.

We are looking forward to have you back at Shambaling. Your home away from home.

Kind regards

Dawa S.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Located well away from the tourist centre of Thamel in the much more relaxed suburb or Boudha, the Shambaling is a great hotel.

The rooms are spotlessly clean (having been recently refurbished) and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The staff went above and beyond the call of duty to walk us to a central place where a lost tour guide was able to meet us (be aware locals seem to find the Shambaling hard to find because it is new). Breakfast which was included in our rate was outstanding. We also ate at the restaurant in the evening and had a great meal with great service.

The only minor issues we experienced was due to the electrical power cuts (like most of Kathmandu). The rooms are also a bit cold at night in winter (the single glazed windows don't keep much heat in and there was no heating in the room we were aware of).

We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dawa S, Inhaber at Shambaling Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear LoveSWFrance

Many thanks that you stayed with. We are happy that you share your experiences with us. It is great to learn, that you had a good time at Shambaling.
Yes we are very proud of our chef. He is a real master and the fine dining at Shambaling is one of our USP’s

Yes the electrical power cuts in Kathmandu (up to 14 hours per day!) are a big problem for us. You can imagine how difficult it is to handle this situation. But we are doing all effort to keep our guest happy. The best thing against cold is, drink a lot of Tibetan butter tea (-: , Just ask our staff.

Many tanks again that you stayed with us and that you recommend with no hesitation Shambaling to everybody.

Kind regards from the whole Shambaling – family

Dawa S. (Swissdawa)

Been to Shambaling Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!