“hope you don't like showers” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Manang
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paknajol, Thamel P.O. Box 5608, Kathmandu, Nepal   |
Ranked #72 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
Madison, WI
“hope you don't like showers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

After arriving from ~30hrs of traveling, all I could think of was a nice shower, but no such luck. Brown muck came out the faucets instead of water, so I waited a couple of hours, then tried again. More muck. Not good for brushing teeth either, so I asked the other people in my group if their rooms had better plumbing, but it was definitely hit or miss as to whether the water would actually run or not. The room itself was definitely not something to write home about either, and I did not have high expectations to begin with. I'm pretty sure the air conditioner contributed to the pneumonia that I brought home and the front desk people stole my postcards rather than mailing them. For the amount of $$, there are a LOT nicer places to stay (like the Kathmandu Guest house). Good location though. Also, the breakfast is outrageously expensive - check out Pumpernickel Bakery up the road if you want a terrific brunch.

• Stayed April 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

We loved it! Conveniently located in Thamel, great views and friendly staff... and also affordable. We'll stay there next time!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed here before and after a trek with Gap Adventures, with one extra night I paid separately from the tour. $50 a night is far too expensive for a budget hotel in Kathmandu and I'm sure there is far better. The first room was above a generator that ran all night (the electricity is frequently out in Kathmandu) and between that and the neighborhood dogs barking all night, I barely slept. Food in the restaurant is expensive and mediocre. My chicken burger was raw in the center, so I sent it back, which confused them, and it took 30 minutes to make me a veggie burger instead. Many of the front desk staff seem to be rather incompetent and easily confused, especially when it comes to bills from the restaurant. They did keep our extra bags safely while we were away, though. The rooms are dingy and the beds quite hard. The bathrooms are aging and the water smells metallic. You will likely need to use the bucket to flush your toilet most of the time. I understand that this is Kathmandu and I didn't have high expectations, but for the price, this place was not worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Zaragoza, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We had the pleasure to stay for a couple of days in Hotel Manang, Kathmandu, and I can only say I wish we would have been able to stay longer. All the members of the staff were just KIND, HELPFUL and WARM to us all the time. Due to our short staying, they organized for us a trip by car to visit the most important stupas and temples in the city. The restaurant is precious, in a yard plenty with plants and flowers and lovely wooden decorations. The meals were delicious (momo, Nepalese soup...). The room was clean and comfortable, with a gorgeous view of Swayambunath stupa...
WE MUST COME BACK! We want to thank Mr Ramesh Giri and all his people for everything.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I had been to Nepal with my family in mid march.Our experience was really great at hotel Manang.We were taken good care with every detail.We could feel a personal touch in the manner they treated us.The restaurant,was superb in ambience..good food and good service.Rooms were cool ,spacious and neat.Perfect location too.We could just walk and get in to the heart of the city.
will defenitely recommend to all .

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Hobart Tasmania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I stayed at the Manang on my first trip to Kathmandu, both before and after my trek. Absolutely loved it. Staff were friendly and helpful, hotel was - well, Nepal's a third-world country so that came into consideration, especially when I had to work out how to switch the bathroom tap from bath (very primitive one) to shower operation - but it was clean, cleaning staff, dining room staff and management all lovely, the staircase and marble floors fantastic and the foyer was ornate and quite captivating. As was the gloriously-adorned doorman with his polite manners and lovely smile. In 2004 I returned, again before and after trekking, loved the 'welcome home' feeling from the staff, and again enjoyed my visit. However, in 2007 I went back (x2 again). Management had changed, the hotel was on the down-slide, the manager of my trekking company insisted I be given a better room than the grubby one I had so I was moved to a large one with a massive (queen-size?) mattress that stank of stale urine. When I returned to my room during the morning, the cleaning staff had been smoking in my room, which had a balcony, and it was fetid. Management couldn't, or wouldn't, understand what I was telling them about all this; I ended up hauling the mattress upside down to try to cover the stink and slept on the springs just for the sake of being able to breathe. Oh, and the bedspread had been stashed in the wardrobe because it was filthy. Everything was totally rundown, and on leaving I complained in writing to the management, leaving my contact details. That complaint has never been acknowledged, and when I next visit in two months' time I'll be trying out the International Guest House - will write a review of that afterwards.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
travellingwilbury66
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

This is a tired old hotel with poor management (they are more interested in selling rooms to tour operators, they're not interested in individual customers). Some of the front desk staff are very pleasant, but room service is terrible, the food is barely edible and if you leave finished dishes out in the (unlit) corridor then they can stay there for days! If you're given a room overlooking the street, then be prepared for A LOT of noise. If you are a light sleeper you'll constantly be disturbed. Reasonable value if you can knock 50% off the rack rate.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Manang? Share your experiences!