“Been there 6 times” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
Perth, Australia
“Been there 6 times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I have been travelling to Nepal for the past 9 years and every time I go I stay at Hotel Utse.....the staff are always fantastic, helpful and honest. Clean facilities and the food is amazing!!! I love how it is right in the heart of Thamel KTM....you can sit in the window enjoying your tibetan tea and watch what is going on outside on the road....the beds are comfortable and everything is very safe whilst you are away trekking.....it feels like home to me especially when you come back from trekking to the warm tibtan welcome....do yourself a favour and stay there and enjoy the wonderfukl hospitality .......might even see you there!
Josie and Lyndsay Arnold Perth Australia

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I recently spent several days at UTSE hotel prior to and following my trekking trip in Nepal. It is an amazing sanctuary of Tibetan hospitality. My room was very clean decorated in Tibetan decor. The owners and their staff are what makes this hotel excellent. I arrived a stranger and left part of their family. In addition, the UTSE restaurant serves the best Tibetan and non-Tibetan food in Katmandu. Love this place and will return.

Room Tip: Choose floor 2 and above for best room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

While travelling from Kathmandu to Tibet and Bhutan recently, I stayed at the Utse Hotel in Thamel.
The owners, Diki and Dichen, are Tibetan and make their hotel a home away from home for travellers of all ages. They became family and helped me with every little details, where to go, anything I needed. They are darlings!
Rooms, restaurant, and the very comfy lounge and meeting place is done in Tibetan decor. Rooms offer basic comforts at a great price and are cleaned daily by a happy and diligent crew. All the staff at the Utse will drop everything to help you, carry your bags, get you what you need. This hotel is a welcome sweet respite from the busyness of Thamel. Trekking groups and people travelling alone ( I am a single female travelling alone) stay here so you will always meet people. It is a hub for people coming and going on tours or on Everest and Annapurna treks. Good energy! Free WiFi, cheap phone calls from hotel desk and laptop for use in the lounge. Food is excellent, clean and inexpensive. The Utse owners had one of the original cafes in Kathmandu in the 70's so they know how to serve food that is wholesome and healthy for travellers. I will be back. They are my Kathmandu family now!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Bretagne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Me and my wife stayed at UTSE hotel for a week recently, we are used to travel to Asia and third world country and do not mind rustic places....
BUT UTSE hotel is a dirty place, they did not change our bed linen for the whole week, some day they tried to just fold again our towels instead of changing it (even the "clean ones" smelled BAD), we had to ask 3 times to get some toilet paper, the tibetan cleaning ladies were chatting in front of our door everyday from early morning (DO NOT stay in room 212, it is just next to the place where the cleaning staff hide to rest and chat, also you get smoke and noise and smells straight from the kitchen in this room). We did not get hot water for 2 days in a row after a group of japanese trekkers checked in....

Frankly for 43 dollars a night (35+ 8 for taxes and "service charge" or whatever they call it) to rent you a small dirty noisy room this place is a total ripp off.

This said the old Tibetan lady who run the UTSE restaurant is a very friendly and charming person who work hard to make her place a sucess and i dont wish her bad.
We wont be back to sleep in UTSE but will be back to eat.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Utse H, Manager at Hotel Utse, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
My name is Deepak Shrestha and I am the Hotel Manager of Utse Hotel.

It is our wonderful guests who help to make us better hosts by letting us know of issues that many times we are just not aware of.
For those who require daily House Keeping service, who have allergies, special needs, please let us know when making your reservation.

If you do not leave your keys at the Front Desk or the ’Please clean my room' sign on the door knob. It is reasonably likely to be understood that the particular room does not require cleaning or guest does not want to allow any housekeeping staff to enter the room.

As a part of a social and environmental responsibility program dedicated to positively impacting the lives of villagers in local communities in Nepal and being sensitive to the environment; and an effort to conserve water and energy. Towels and sheets are re-used (guests can tell housekeeping to leave these slightly used items to reduce water consumption or if they need new towels and sheets)

Thank You for the input; we wish you had told us during your visit so we could have accommodated you better.

Yours Truly,
Deepak Shrestha
Hotel Manager
Utse Hotel
Kathmandu, Nepal
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Please always keep in mind keep that you are in the Himalayas, the top of the world, the mystical and ancient land of Shambala (Shangri-la)!

After reading the remarks from Grande Travels representative it just makes me sad to think, "did this person" get their plans mixed up between Singapore and Nepal?

I've been an Executive Chef for decades that has worked in some of the worlds top five star properties. Most people that travel to Nepal are seeking to journey off the "normal" beat of path, to open up their lives with a mind blowing experience and adventure.

If your are only here for 3 very short days, it's simply just not possible to know the beauty that Utse Hotel or Nepal has to offer. The true beauty of this hotel is the genuine nature of the people that run it.

Utse Hotel always offers a great place to stay and rest with great food and amazing company. My family and I have stayed here on a number of occasions over the last few years and have grown to love the people and food of Utse. We found the comfort level to be very warm, friendly and highly accommodating.

Utse Hotel is not "Club Med", it's way more unique then that. As an internationally trained Executive Chef I can easily say that the food is out of this world, (try the millet pancake wraps-absolutely delicious) and the staff from the front desk, room persons and restaurant servers are all warm, ready to help and generous with their daily help and always smiling.

I was just there in Jan'11 and we will be returning to travel Asia this winter making Utse Hotel one of our favorite stops. The hotel it self is quite old but very well kept.We were there last Jan'11, during their slow season and the hotel was being given a new paint job. Utse has always been beautifully decorated in the tradition Tibetan artifacts, thankas paintings that give it the charm that youu will notice right away.
All the staff, without a doubt are the most unique and friendliest that I have ever experienced in all my years in the hospitality/tourism industry. Always smiling, genuinely wanting to do something for you, which I have to say, in all my years in hotels and restaurants is extremely rare to find this type of "genuine" support.

The rooms are a decent size and the sheets smell of being freshly washed, neat and pressed with very heavy top blankets to keep you warm in this cozy Himalayan hotel. The washrooms are not luxurious like a spa but are most definitely good for what any adventurist seeking to explore would need. If you want to spend your vacation in a washroom, your wasting your time no matter where you go.

With global warming, the mountain peaks have less snow, which means less water, which works against the sources of electricity that power the cities infrastructure. Nepal as a country does experiences daily power-shedding which is a scheduled time off for electricity. Many business, including Utse Hotel have back-up generators that automatically kick-in when the city power is shut off. My family and I found this to be so relaxing and gave us space away from our usual internet/mobile dependencies, if you are not there for long, critically observing and not getting involved with local peoples, then one will never know these things.
If you are the quiet solo type, a couple or family that wants to explore and experience more adventure, then it's absolutely a perfect setting for that. if you are interested in a meditation retreat with real Himalayan meditation masters, you have to check out Kopan Monestry overlooking all of Kathmandu valley. Absolutely breath taking - a once in a life time must see.

I would never hesitate to recommend Utse Hotel as a very suitable place to stay, in between trips, hiking or your next expedition or just to hang around in an ancient and mysterious city of Kathmandu. Good luck on your next Journey to Nepal.

Room Tip: Go in the slow season months of Dec to Feb.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

For me this place has become my second family. The owners have been like a father and mother during my stay and helped me in any way they could. The atmosphere was always warm and relaxed, the nepalese and tibetan food was excellent and prepared with care.
I stayed at Utse Hotel a couple of times and always I've been treated with the utmost care and friendliness - as if the owners were close members of my family. And also I have to say that we did not know each other before, so it was completely natural. The rooms had everything I needed and I would definitely recommmend the Hotel in order to be immersed in the Nepalese and Tibetan culture in the heart of Kathmandu.

Also if you need any help in terms of local tourist attractions or more spiritual experiences, don't hesitate to ask the owners. They have been so helpful in arranging everything for me.
They were always ready to share their stories and experiences and it was quite moving to hear the stories of tibetan refugees leaving their home country in search of a peaceful environment to live.

Thank you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in November 2010. I wouldn't stay there again.
It is of a very poor standard, yes it's very cheap, but that doesn't mean that it should be filthy dirty with fixtures and fitting from 40 years ago which are all broken or breaking off.. or not working. When you travel to places like this you expect a little adventure, a little rustic charm.. but this was just too dirty for me. Everything in the hotel is old and ragged, it needs changing or cleaning! The lobby was full of random furniture with sticky dark bits all over the sofas. The atmosphere was dark and dank. My room consisted of an old wooden bed with dirty sheets, which were probably once white, but now were a beige color. The bathroom was terrible. I might as well have been showering with a watering can over my head. It was an old building but it hasn't been kept up to date with even the basic modern amenities.
I didn't eat in the premises because the hotel restaurant was too dirty for me. The only good thing I can say is that they had a wifi connection available in the lobby.. it wasn't a very good connection and kept cutting off.. but it was at least available.
The area, Thamel, is very a tacky tourist area.. everything is a rip off. Every shop sells the same generic wooden carvings, nik naks, pasmina etc..
Did not enjoy my time here at all.
There is a little hut in the town center called "Chicken & Fallafel".. it's just a small hut with a man selling the best chicken wraps and fallafel wraps I've tasted in a long time !

Room Tip: all rooms are bad
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Utse H, Manager at Hotel Utse, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
My name is Deepak Shrestha and I am the Hotel Manager of Utse Hotel.

First off, I am terribly sorry to read about your trip to Nepal, for the inconvenience that this may have caused during your 3 days stay with us in Nov 2010. It has been eleven months or so since this experience we are sorry you waited for almost a year to post your complaint.
Our company is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.
The Bed Linen have been replaced and bathroom showers have been repaired. Thank you for your suggestions.

In regards to the post, our property is a complete reconstruction of the old building. We wanted to preserve the original façade of the building to honor the history of the neighborhood.

Cleanliness and Hygine is of the utmost importance at Utse. We are always striving to keep our facility as immaculate as possible and maintain high standards of Cleanliness and hygiene.
And all of our guests have always been satisfied with the high level of cleanliness; in light of your feedback we are looking to closely monitoring housekeeping to ensure that we satisfy all of our guests.
The supervisor of the housekeeping department will do an inspection twice a day ( two shifts - morning and evening) once the housekeeping has completed their task to ensure that high level of cleanliness is maintained in all areas of the Hotel/Restaurant.

We are a distinguished Hotel/Restaurant establishment since 1971 in the hospitality industry and our Director a dedicated indivudual who has shaped the development of the Hospitality Industry in the Thamel area. And have always believed in offering complete value and personalized service to our esteemed guests.

If you would like to visit us again to see the improvements first hand, please contact me directly at utse@wlink.com.np and it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your stay.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Best regards,
Deepak Shrestha
Hotel Manager
Utse Hotel
Kathmandu, Nepal

Been to Hotel Utse? Share your experiences!