“Great hotel and location, below average staff and trek assistance” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kathmandu Guest House

You added Kathmandu Guest House to your Saves list
Kathmandu Guest House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   KGH Sqaure | Thamel, PO Box 21218, Kathmandu, Nepal   |
Special Rate
$37 (USD)
Ranked #56 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
Newport Beach, CA
“Great hotel and location, below average staff and trek assistance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The good:
I stayed at the KGH in May 2012. The hotel is beautiful, in a rustic we-were-built-by-the-british-and-have-been-here-for-100-years kind of way. Great outdoor dining area and, after being in Tibet for 10 days, the best food I could have asked for. Great atmosphere and plenty of fellow travelers. The location in the heart of Thamel is also great. Two sources of power (city and generator for when city power fails) allow the KGH to have power all or most of the day.

The bad... and it was really bad:
My one complaint would be the front desk and their booking assistant. They must have owed someone a guest in the Chitwan region because they sent me to the worst possible place. I was the only guest in the entire hotel, the hotel had no car (I held my bad as I sat on the back of a motorcycle and held on for my life) and there was no where to go from the hotel. Also, the hotel was remote and offered nothing to do other than sit in my room and read my book. Keep in mind that I did not expect amazing accommodations or luxury. The man at the KGH had been doing this a while and should have warned me or told me my options. It was so miserable that I ended up leaving early at my own expense.

Summary:
Great place to stay. I would be very cautious about letting them book a trek or trip for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Bryan,
Im glad you enjoyed your stay at the KGH. However, we are so sorry about your bad time in Chitwan. The staff that was in the travel desk last year has been fired as we found out about his misdeeds. We sincerely apologize again for this. We hope you do not judge us due to this staff's misdemeanors.
Hope to see you again in KGH
The KGH Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is the second time I stayed at The Kathmandu Guest House. Both times with a group of students. The employees are extremely helpful and will help make your experience the best possible! They are always curious and willing to answer your questions and help make your stay the best possible. It is a safe and welcoming environment!!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony :-)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mary Ellen,
We are very glad to read such wonderful words from you. Thank you so much and hope to have you back soon with your students.

Have a great day!
Marlow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We used the hotel as part of a group trekking to Everest Base Camp.
The location was great providing a tranquil location to escape the chaotic Kathmandu streets. Our twin rooms were fine however the quality of many of the rooms varied considerably due to the add on nature of the hotel.
This is my first hotel review which is being written due to the way we were treated by the staff and management over the settlement of a bar bill. We were overcharged by nearly 100% for beers we had not consumed in their restaurant area. There was no visible system for recording drink orders until a work of fiction was presented to us as a printed bill.
We challenged the staff who were unable to justify there calculations, we called for the management who were equally unhelpful to the point of questioning our honesty at which point we paid the overinflated bill included a service charge which they would not remove.
Our party stayed for a further 24 hours during which time most of use refused to spend any further money at the hotel. What has happened to customer service?I will not be returning due to our treatment and would recommend that if you do decide to stay make sure you are presented with a written document for any extra services the hotel provide as they provide it.
It all seemed as though someone was on the take to me.
Be careful.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Gareth,

Thanks for staying in our hotel and sorry you had to go through the misunderstanding in our bar.
I have made the staff do a thorough check of the stock and the bills. We have re-checked again and found that our bill was correct.
The government tax in Nepal in all hotels and restaurants is 13% VAT and 10% service tax. We do make it clear to all trekking companies about this, so that they can inform all their clients of the taxes.
Once again sorry for this misunderstanding.
Hope you had a wonderful trek and please do visit Nepal again.

warm regards,
KGH Team
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a famous place, and I have stayed here before, some 10 years ago, in a very different type of room. This time, there was just too much frenetic activity, with adventure-seekers racing around, planning their treks and climbing ventures, meeting in groups, meeting guides, bragging in the lobby about their "latest conquest" of Everest to fawning admirers. People seem to come here to be seen and heard, making Kathmandu the "in" place to be for travellers, both the well-heeled and those of average means (the moderately-well-off probably do not sound their horns so much). I was glad to retreat to the quiet of my room, where the internet did not work. It seemed to embarrass the management staff when I used the internet in the lobby. A discrepancy in the cost of the room was a source of embarrassment to both myself and reception staff, and I was given a prompt refund by Agoda for the over-payment. But for the excellent location, I might have second thoughts about staying here again. If I did, it would be in a better category of room, overlooking the excellent garden instead of a disused and unsightly portion of the hotel's interior courtyard.

Room Tip: Several days before my trip I e-mailed them to arrange airport pickup. They replied that they had no...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hello sir,
Yes you are right, when you come to KGH at the peak mountaineering time, its a lot of buzz buzz buzz. It becomes quite a crowd. Im sorry you were not happy with the room type but next time I suggest you book a higher category of room.
We have to retain the simple category to accommodate the budget travelers whereas the different categories has to be offered for all types of travellers. Please do visit us again, maybe when it is quieter season.
Thanks once again for your very detailed and descriptive review. Hope you can visit us soon again.
Gurgaon, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I visited Kathmandu during 23 – 28 March with family and stayed at Kathmandu Guest House (KGH). It is located in a busy tourist area of Thamel and has a very convenient access to the local market area including restaurants, foreign exchange kiosks, mobile telecom services and souvenir shops etc. KGH has a beautiful property, the garden area inside the hotel is a great place to sit, relax and chat over a cup of coffee. Rooms are quite spacious, clean and comfortable, but the bathroom facilities were inadequate. Since the weather in March is pleasant, we didn’t need air-conditioning, but in the relatively warm months of April & May, it may be a necessity. The staff is very polite and courteous, but don’t appear to be professionally trained. Breakfast at the coffee shop has limited options but sufficient to start the day with a light breakfast. We didn’t use their restaurant facilities as we ate out most of the times. Apparently, electricity and drinking water are scarcely available in Nepal, which increases the cost for all tourist related services, but we found that phone call charges from Nepal to USA are very cheap. KGH, like most other hotels in Nepal, offers free wi-fi which makes it very convenient, but you don’t get good speed at most places. Overall, stay in KGH was a good experience and considering the price and the location, it is definitely worth trying.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Madam,
Thanks for your kind words for our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will be happy to accommodate you again. Please do visit us soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Overall this hotel was a great choice. Based on a Nepali coworker's recommendation, I stayed at KGH for 4 days. After staying in a more expensive Kathmandu hotel for business, KGH was cheaper and the rooms much nicer.

The location was great. It was right in the heart of Thamel right near restaurants, bars and a supermarket. And all the cab drivers knew where it was.

The lobby is traditionally decorated and parts of the hotel look a bit older. I stayed in a deluxe room in the newer building facing the garden. It was modern, clean, and very quiet. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was practically brand new with a modern aesthetic. Had hot water and electricity the whole time. There was a flat screen tv with lots of english-speaking channels (TLC, CNN, BBC, and Indian ones). The Wi-Fi was fine and good enough for me to do Skype calls. There were two liter bottles of water each day and some complimentary coffee/tea/ramen.

Breakfast was included in the price. It was in the front courtyard. There was a good buffet of coffee/tea/juices, yogurt, fruit, fried eggs, toast, beans, sausage, potatoes, and pancakes.

The garden court yard was a nice respite. I was sick on my last day and spent it sitting there enjoying the sun while waiting for my flight. Can't speak to the food they served there but the iced coffee was good.

Lastly the staff were friendly and attentive. The reception guys and manager chatted me up whenever I was in the lobby. They offered to help whenever I came in with bags. I needed to buy airtime for my SIM card and one guy personally walked me to a place and bought it with me. Also was able to leave my luggage there while I went to Pokhara without any hassle. Very helpful and made my stay that much easier.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms were very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Sir/ madam,

Thank you so very much for such a wonderful review. Your kind words are very encouraging and we are very happy that your stay with us was very satisfying. Hope we get the opportunity to serve you again. Please do come stay with us soon

wam regards
Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We had booked Kathmandu Guest House online and received a confirmation. On arriving at the hotel, we were told that all rooms were booked and our 'confirmation' was useless. We were offered a very dark room in a nearby hotel or a room with a shared bathroom with 10 other rooms in KGH. We opted for the latter because we wanted to avail of the garden in KGH and were promised a garden facing room, as we had booked the next day. The next day we were not given a garden facing room but at least one with an attached toilet. We left for Dhulikhel for 2 nights to come back to Kathmandu for 1 night for which we also had a reservation at KGH. Before leaving we specifically asked if 2 days later they could at least confirm we would be given a room. Despite promising to do this 2 days later the same drama was repeated again and we were offered a room with shared bath which now we declined and instead took their offer of a room in a nearby hotel. The location and garden are good but there is serious mismanagement with room booking. We noticed many other customers with similar problems. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody because their confirmations do not mean anything.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Shubo C
We are extremely sorry for what you had to go through. Our deepest apologies. During the time of your visit, we were over booked as a group which had to check out could not do so due to last minute cancellations. We therefore, were in a very uncomfortable situation. Please accept our sincerest apologies.
regards,
KGH Team

Been to Kathmandu Guest House? Share your experiences!