“Hotel schankar” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
Candolim, India
“Hotel schankar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Verry nice hotel clean and food also very good breakfast like in Europe room service also very nice nice garden and very good cooffe the stuf very kind I think every tourist schould go to this hotel if he like a beautiful place

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you so much for your review.

Appreciative guests like you make it all so worthwhile.

Thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travellers.

Happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked 3 nights at the Shanker Hotel. I was initially impressed with the write ups about it being a former palace of the general.

I availed of their airport transfer and it took me a while before i can finally see my driver. Upon arrival, i was immediately greeted and someone took care of my luggage for me.

Ramesh of the front desk is very nice and can quickly answer my queries. I left for Bhutan the next day and had an early flight. They packed food for me and I truly appreciate them.

My room is fairly spacious and i even received a flower centerpiece and welcome chocolates. Everyone is polite at the Shanker.

Upon my arrival from Bhutan, I availed their airport transfers again and their tour packages (from the travel desk). Everything went smoothly until i got Diarrhea from the meal that I ate at palace restaurant at Bhaktapur. I had the worst Diarrhea ever. Water is basically unsafe for tourists so always drink sealed bottled water and food from the hotel.

The hotel has excellent location because it is close to Thamel and the foreign embassies.

Room Tip: choose the rooms at the 7th floor. Always use the bottled water for brushing your teeth. Water in Ne...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you, Sir.

Although one might safer using bottled water here in Nepal, the drinking water that we serve free of cost to guests in hotel hotel is also Mineral water (Jar).

Nevertheless, we appreciate you spreading the word.

Happy travels!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The hotel has a traditional ambiance, which has the delightful benefit of making you feel that you are in Nepal, a land made famous by its soaring mountain peaks and its description as Shangri-la. The staff is helpful and makes you feel welcome, always addressing your wants. The personal touch makes your stay a home-away-from-home. I will be back with pleasure.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thanks for such a great review, we are so happy you enjoyed yourself.

Pratik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Old palace with nice garden; very good restaurant with Indian cuisine; nice personnel to support the guests. We had
A good time in this hotel during our stay in Kathmandu. Highly recommended to tourists in Kathmandu

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the review. I appreciate your spreading the word around.

Have a good day.

Pratik S.
liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Converted Royal palace,great building with an outside pool area at the front.Friendly and very helpful staff.Has a nightclub and large restaurant area,good variety of foods available.Good room service provided.Slighty off the beaten track,for the tourist area.( 10 min walk ) taxi only cost £5 to the airport. Happy Hols

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the review. We highly appreciate it that you took the time to share your personal perspective with fellow travellers here on trip advisor.

Good to know that your time spent with us was nice. Happy travels!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Nice hotel, poor customer service - cleanliness is average by US standards

The good:
My $.02, this place should be redecorated and renamed to the Shanker Palace or something. It has a lot of potential. Yes, this is a fomer palace. The hotel and the grounds are palatial. The decor in the lobby and the walkways are exotic woodwork. You won't get this anywhere else in Kathmandu. The location is nice and is located away from the road construction and noise and the dust. The hotel management was really good with emails and we made all the reservations through emails. They offered a better deal if you booked directly through them with airport transfers etc.

The breakfast spread was the biggest I've ever seen. The menu is different everyday and the food quality was good. The best upma and chole bhature in town. Even the Nepali version of quesadillas were great (parathas with cheese). The hotel even packs a boxed breakfast if you have an early flight. The hotel staff makes you feel royal. From the person who opens the door for you to the room service folks, everyone greets you when they see you.

No issue with power cuts, heat or A/C. The hotel always had power and went to backup generator when you lost power. The hotel is safe - we had 4 bags in their 'cloak room' for 4 days and had no issues.

The bad:
We arrived at 8am after an international red-eye flight with small kids. We were shocked that the room was not ready for us after an overnight flight. The front desk guy 'Ramesh' with the Nepali hat would not give us the room saying checkin time is noon! I tried to convince him multiple times and even offered to pay extra for an early checkin. You could see that he was lying that rooms were overbooked. Such poor customer service -- such folks should be fired (if he is not part of the family run business). Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Our family of four were sleeping on the lobby couches before we were given the room.

The rooms were small and we upgraded to the 'suite' for almost $40 more. The welcome drinks and gifts were a nice touch. The rooms have seen better days and in need for an overhaul. The rooms were dusty with musty odor (no vent in the bathrooms). We asked the room service to clean and mop the room.

Bottomline:
Kathmandu has a myriad of hotel options (from $8 rooms to $500 rooms). Personally, we didn't stay in Thamel thinking it would be dirty/dusty. Thamel turned out to be surprisingly nice and bustling part of Kathmandu. I would pick up a nice hotel in Thamel the next time I'm in Kathmandu. For $100/night, I don't think Shanker was worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Noted your perspective.

Thank you very much for your review here on this forum.

I would like to take the opportunity to address your comment regarding the unavailability of Early Check IN. Normally, our check in time is at noon -- as it is in most hotels around the world. If a guest arrives in the morning flight and requests early check in -- we provide it free of cost, provided that rooms are available.

In your case, we were totally sold out. Had you notified us earlier, we could have blocked a room from the previous day for you and your check in experience would have continued unhindered.

Although nothing will change the way you feel about your experience with us, I hope that you understand that we take prioritise customer satisfaction over everything else.

Yes, there are hotels available in Thamel but I there's no hotel in Kathmandu quite like the Shanker.

With over 4.4 acres of landscaped area at the edge of Thamel and Lazimpat and an unmatched historical character -- $100 a night is a bargain. Similar hotels in Europe would set you back by over $ 200 - $250 a night. Think about it...

Happy travels :)
Canton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

It's actually very nice for Nepali standards. The whole hotel is actually a palace renovated and made a hotel. The furnishings and overall architecture are very nice. We came on an early morning flight at, like, 6:00am in Nepali time and we were badly jetlagged. The front desk wasn't very nice. They rudely told us that check-in wasn't until noon and to just sit and chill. So we were half asleep anyway and had a glass of welcome juice (mango) and slept until check-in. The staff were really nice and tended to our every need. The breakfast was delicious and the location was good. Also, our suite had very dirty, dusty floors. We had to wash our feet every 5 minutes! But it was overall pretty nice.

Room Tip: Higher floor suites are better...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you very much for having taken the time to review us here on tripadvisor.com.

I was very much concerned about your report and I do apologize to you and your family profusely for the disturbance and inconvenience the unavailability of "Early Check In" caused. I would strongly suggest that in the future, you mention and confirm the availability of "Early Check In" as special request during your reservation process at any hotel in any country that you use.

You stayed with us during high season, and our room occupancy was really stretched to the limits. We normally provide complimentary Early Check In and Late Check Out to all our guests, but this service is subject to availability of rooms.

I was also concerned about your report about the dusty floors. Rest assured that this is certainly not the way we usually deal with such matters and I will look into this incident with my team to identify what happened and what needs to be done to prevent similar incidents from happening into the future.

Once again, please accept my apologies and truly hope you will give us another chance in the near future.

Been to Hotel Shanker? Share your experiences!