“very relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“very relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Spent 4 nights here after 3 weeks in India, booked independently before joining a tour. Nice touch with fruit and chocs but maybe not given if on a shorter stay. Staff very lovely and genuine, good meals, walking distance to Thamel and further sites. Hot water every time! Very well priced compared to similar places further out, book ahead if possible for good rates, (booking.com. Can I say that) Wish we had more time to sit in the pretty gardens, although we did enjoy the tranquility. Hired a car and driver from the tour desk, one day, fine but little English, xK

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
It is good to know that you liked our hotel; that your stay was comfortable and that you felt comfortable in our rooms and facilities. I also appreciate that you mentioned the quality of service provided by our staff members.

Thank you again, and please come and stay with us once more during your next visit to Kathmandu.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Shanker is in a great location less, than 10 minutes walk to the main tourist district Thamel.

Positives:

Clean, good bathrooms, quite location, buffet breakfast (large selection), flexible with booking changes, nice pool to relax around

Negatives

WiFi issues (had to use their computers, Ipad would not work), extremely hard beds, some rooms are two storeys (entrance top, room lower),

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time reviewing us at tripadvisor. I am very glad to know that your stay was a very good one and that you felt comfortable in our rooms and with our facilities. I also appreciate that you mentioned the quality of our restaurant food.

Your comments regarding the WI FI and double storey rooms has been noted and taken up to the management for further perusal. We are in the process of converting our two storey rooms into single level rooms. Thank you for your suggestions.

Best regards from Nepal.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Hotel Shanker is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the Thamel area -- about a 10 minute walk. I found it to be a nice, if not quirky, hotel When I arrived I was given a room on a higher floor in a quiet area as I'd requested, but unfortunately it smelled like cigarettes. I was graciously moved the next day to a similar room one floor higher which a much larger window. The room is clean, their is a smallish TV with some cable stations and even HBO, water is complimentary, the towels are soft. I had to add 2 extras days not covered by my tour and I got a great rate on Hotels.com, so if you are booking yourself, look around.

Breakfast is included and is a hodge podge of cuisines including Indian, Nepali and versions of Western foods like pancakes, omelets, muffins, etc.. The food can be trusted to not get you sick, even the fruit. The bacon is pretty darn good. The other meals are the same mix of cultures, but as elsewhere in Nepal, you can be pretty sure that if you order something with a Western name, it will NOT match what you get at home. Just be open to that possibility and enjoy what you get.

The pool area is really wonderful. It's lovely to sit out there and get a cup of tea after a day of sightseeing in Kathmandu's crazy traffic. They will, most probably, try to bill you for internet. In my experience, this can be negotiated. At least give it a try.

Something I discovered toward the end of my trip was that they are associated with the Tranquility Spa, which is about a 10-15 walk from the hotel. That said, you can arrange to have an in room massage for $25 with tip. It was fabulous. Be aware though that the spa itself doesn't take credit cards. I learned this the hard way after booking something for the day I was leaving Kathmandu. If you are staying at the hotel you can arrange to pay through them, but unfortunately for me, I was already checked out. Get the in room massage, it's a bargain and fabulous.

In general, the staff is welcoming and helpful, always greeting you with a "good morning" or "Namaste". There are exceptions, once while I was arranging some things through the front desk, the clerk repeatedly interrupted our transaction (which wasn't a long one) to deal with the next person who stepped up, most of whom are happy to interrupt you and complete their transaction, leaving you to wait until they are finished. One fellow American had the nerve to get sarcastic with me because I was annoyed! Oh well, such is life.

I'd stay at the Hotel Shanker again if I came to Kathmandu.

Room Tip: I asked for an upper floor (6th or 7th floor); 7th floor has larger windows. It's quiet up ther...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for posting this wonderful review here on Trip Advisor.

I glad that you enjoyed all aspects about your stay with us -- in particular that you appreciated the way we have maintained our old world charm. I am happy that you perceived our associates to be very friendly and service oriented.

Thank for having chosen to stay with us. I hope that you stay with us on your return visits to our fascinating city.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel is one of the best at this level of price I have visited in Asia (I have stayed in more than a hundred since 1980). Efficient and courteous staff, being never intrusive or too familiar. Good restaurant and impressive buffet breakfast. The bedrooms are comfy and decorated just like 30 years ago. The only concessions to modern times are the flat screen TV and electronic safe. The bathrooms have bathtub, and everything is well maintained.
I would be less laudative for the bedding, which is to my taste a little too soft. But this is personal.
Outside, a manicured garden surrounding a large swimming pool with a bar next.
The location is good, 10 mn walk to Thamel, and shops not far.
I will certainly come back !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are humbled by your remarks. Thank you for comparing us to the very best of hotels in Asia. Glad to know that you perceived our staff to be courteous. I have shared your remarks about the breakfast with our Chef, who is happy to hear about it.

Thank you once again. Hope to welcome you on your return visits to our city.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

As a former resident of Kathmandu I have attended functions at many of the city's better hotels.
The Shanker is a modern hotel housed in an antique Rana Palace in the central part of Kathmandu. Situated on Lazimpat, just behind the King's former palace, the location is great. You can walk or taxi or rickshaw to the local markets at Asantole and Indrachowk or easily walk to the Thamel tourist area. It is also a 2 minute walk to the best medical care facility in the country, the CIWEC Clinic, across from the British embassy in Lainchaur.

With this location you might expect the hotel to be noisy due to the road and the ubiquitous Asian street dogs. Not so. A wall, a garden and an outside pool buffer the hotel from the street noise. The garden is a very pleasant place to rest in the afternoon, even in winter. It is truly an oasis of tranquility amidst the din that is modern Kathmandu.

The poolside bar serves excellent drinks and snacks.

Inside, the hotel bar and staff are exceptional. The breakfast buffet will satisfy anyone's taste including fresh fruit, cold cereal, Indian food, pancakes and maple syrup, or eggs cooked to order. We only ate dinner at the hotel twice during our 2 week stay but the food was excellent, especially the Indian dishes.

Staff are attentive and professional. The Front Desk had our bills ready promptly and correctly each time we checked out. The Shanker is now my go to hotel in Kathmandu.

Room Tip: We stayed is suites each time and they were worth the upgrade. The only rooms I would avoid are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for describing our hotel as an 'oasis of tranquility'. Such positive reviews really reinforce our team's morale and keep us going. Glad to know that you rate our hotel better than many of the city's top hotels. I am very happy to learn that you appreciated the historical nature of our property, as well our F & B offerings.

In particular, I am glad that you perceived our staff to be extremely service oriented. I am happy that we were able to have delivered the highest standards of service to have made your stay at Shanker comfortable and memorable.

Thank you once again for writing this review, and I do hope that we receive the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful property in the near future.
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My friends and I recently stayed at the hotel. The staff and management could not have been nicer or more accommodating to our several schedules changes brought about by the Nepal national election. The rooms were clean and the service was exceptional. The only down grade I would give them is that the hotel is near a night club of some sort which made it difficult to sleep 2 out of the 3 nights we were in town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for writing this review here on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you thought that our staff and management were nice and accommodating regarding modification of your itinerary. I have noted down your issue about the disturbance caused by music playing in nearby bars and informed the management about it so that such instance do not inconvenience other guests in the future.

Thank you once again, and I hope that we get to welcome you back into our property in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

It looks like a mansion which belonged to a king. Garden and landscape was beautiful. It had 24hr security which would only allow guests into the premises. We only slept and had breakfast in the hotel, since we had a busy schedule from morning till evening, doing activities. Staff were friendly and would offer their services from opening doors to carrying bags.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Yes, you are right. Shanker Hotel is housed in a palace that formerly belonged to the erstwhile rulers of our country. We consider guest comfort and security our top priority: we employ trained staff responsible and accountable for looking after the security and well being of our guests. I am happy to know your perception of our assciates was satisfactory. Thank you for writing this review, and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer stay in the future.

Been to Hotel Shanker? Share your experiences!