“Always pleasing to stay at the Hyatt” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
Colombo
“Always pleasing to stay at the Hyatt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

After my visit to Nepal in Feb here I am again at the Hyatt. This time the hotel is quite full with an Indian wedding going on (for days) and a movie shooting as well. The usual serenity is somewhat broken by the loud crowd sometimes obnoxious and oblivious to other guests needs to enjoy the hotel.

The staff is as pleasant as usual and the service is great despite the high occupancy rate. Breakfast at the Cafe is busy and not so peaceful.

Anyway the hotel service, staff and the comfy atmosphere never fails to deliver an enjoyable stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

We value the time you have taken out to write a review about our hotel , thank you very much indeed. Kindly accept my personal apology for the disturbance you encountered due to the film shooting and I shall ensure we are managing the same more effective shall the occasion arise again. I truly appreciate your honest comments and we will continue to focus our efforts to diminish the influence of such events to the minimum.

On a positive note, I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and the service rendered by our charming associates . Thank you once again and I look forward to welcome you again soon.

Patrick Iserlohe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt on the last night of my month long trip to Nepal, upon returning from a short visit to the Kathmandu Valley. We booked a standard room on Gold Passport points and was upgraded for a small charge to a Regency Club room, which provided views of the stupa, free internet and breakfast, access to the club lounge and a complimentary airport transfer, all good value in my opinion.

Rooms were of the usual high standard and the shower was one of the most powerful I have ever experienced, perfect for a post trek cleanse. Hotel facilities were also good, we used the pool to relax and have a few drinks by, the main restaurant for breakfast and dinner, and the club lounge to relax after checkout as our flight was not until late in the evening. The food was very good in the main restaurant, and the breakfast was the best that I had in Nepal, as well the staff were very friendly and hospitable.

The location has its plusses and minuses. On the plus side, it is within walking distance to the Boudhanath Stupa, via some delightful back alleys past monasteries and through a residential area, it is close to the airport (you can see the runway from the club lounge), and as it is on the outskirts of Kathmandu you can avoid a lot of traffic if you are visiting Bhaktapur or some of the other towns in the Kathmandu Valley. On the minus side though, it is quite some distance to Thamel, Durbar Square, Monkey Temple and some of the other main tourist attractions in Kathmandu, so I would not recommend the Hyatt as your main base for touring in Kathmandu, unless you have your own transport as walking to these places would take time. That being said, there were a lot of tour groups staying at the Hyatt, so it is a popular hotel.

My only real complaint is the USD$100 block they put on your credit card, reserving some to cover any incidental costs, while this is an annoying and shows a lack of trust towards guests, it is not uncommon, but what I found very annoying is that it is going to take 2 weeks to have the $100 refunded, and the refund slip I was given from the credit card machine, was issued by a different bank to that which took out the initial block, so fingers crossed the money is refunded. What would be good would be if the front desk advises you of the 2-week delay so you can have an option to give them a cash deposit and thereby avoid any possible issues dealing with Nepalese banks….

All in all, I would recommend the Hyatt Kathmandu, especially for the end of your trip as a nice luxury treat, to relax and feel pampered and clean up after a tough trek and prepare for a long flight home, but I would choose a more central hotel for the bulk of your sightseeing in Kathmandu.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience. Indeed the hotel has its own charm and beauty and is a perfect place to unwind and relax after a tiring trek . The Regency Club with its additional service is a choice many of our guests enjoy while overlooking the Boudhanath Stupa. I am very happy to read that you had a great experience, enjoyed the food and found our service exemplary.

As a hotel we are fortunate to be located in close proximity to UNESCO heritage sites like Bouddhanath Stupa and Pashupatinath temple as it makes travel for our guests to explore Kathmandu more easy. Whereas for the major parts of city , we do offer complimentary shuttle service to major points in town such as Thamel , Durbarmarg , Kantipath and New Road to ease our guests. I truly can understand your concern regarding the amount blocked, kindly contact me at patrick.iserlohe@hyatt.com and I shall outline the procedure we follow. Please be rest assured that the amount is made available through the respective bank.

We do hope we can have the opportunity to welcoming you for your next trek to Nepal.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

It was a business trip combined with a pleasure trip and we stayed at Hyatt regency at Taragaon, though a short distance from the airport, it would take forever!
A great place to stay in Kathmandu, very hospitable staff at cafe downstairs, extremely helpful front office staff.
A great selection of food both at breakfast and dinner was available.
Be prepared for a 256kbps internet connection!
Major touristic attractions are closeby (Buddha stupa, Pashupathi nath temple)

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review with other Trip Advisor readers about your experience at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu . We are happy to learn you had such a pleasant stay with us. It is encouraging for all of us to read such wonderful compliments and we shall share it with the team at the hotel. Your compliments about the hotel and the associates is highly appreciated. The hotel , as mentioned by you, is well placed with it being in walking distance to the UNESCO heritage site like Boudhanath Stupa and Pashupatinath temple.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return visit.

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I've only been to Nepal once, and I stayed at this property. It was back in Jan 2013. Rooms are nice and big. The check-in was swift and the staff really courteous. The food at the hotel restaurant was good as well. For the people interested, there is a casino on the property. The location is good and the property is big enough so that the city noise does not disturb you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your feedback on your recent stay at our property. We truly appreciate your positive comments regarding the property ,food and the service of our associates. The location of the hotel is best suited to business and leisure travelers alike, with the easy accessibility from Tribhuvan International airport, and also with close proximity to UNESCO heritage site like Pashupatinath temple and Boudhanath Stupa .

It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Barcelona, Catalunya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was the best hotel we stayed in Nepal by far. The best option to scape from Kathmandu's madness.

Nice clean bedrooms and bathrooms, well-decorated common areas and restaurants, nice big garden with swimming pool...

It also has several restaurants with nice tasty food (not easy to find good quality food in Nepal). Obviously, higher prices than anywhere else but the quality of the food was worth the price in my opinion. All the vegetables are cultivated in their own gardens.

If I had to say 3 things I didn't like, Id say:

- No free wi-fi not even in the common areas or the lobby. For a 5-stars Hotel I find this a must.
- Eventhough the breakfast was very good, we didn't find something as simple as orange juice (although they had other juices).
- We wanted to exchange Euros for Nepalese Rupees and they told us they didn't have Rupees so they couldn't do it... I assume they provide this service (as almost any Hotel in Nepal) so I found it weird they couldn't help us knowing they have several restaurants, bars and even shops inside the same Hotel were you can pay in Rupees.

Anyway, I consider these minore issues and I'd recommend this Hotel to anyone going to Kathmandu.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is very kind of you to highlight the hotel’s spacious and comfortable room and bed, the landscaped gardens set on 36 acres of grounds . The swimming pool truly is one of our well received facilities which is one of the largest in Kathmandu.

On another note, I appreciate your commenting on the non availability of orange juice, indeed fresh oranges were not available in Nepal for some time. Indeed we should have been able to exchange the currency for you and I shall ensure that we do not find excuses as given to you, while as well being pro active to highlight to our guests that we have free internet in the business center for our guests to check their emails.

On a more positive note, we are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay . That by far is truly the biggest compliment we can receive. We thank you for that and look forward to your return visit.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed here on the 20th and 21st of April in room 406. We had just come back from trekking, and falling ill to altitude sickness, and were looking to completely unwind and relax. From the moment we walked in and were greeted warmly with a welcome drink, to seeing our beautiful room, every single thing was spot on.

The grounds are gorgeous, happy hour in the Regency Room was delicious, the menus were so varied and would suit anyone's taste and the breakfast buffet was probably the best I have ever had anywhere...seriously. It was so good, with food represented from all continents. The service was so terrific and I felt we wanted for nothing during our stay.

I stay at the Hyatt in Canada from time to time for business and I feel there is a slight sterile feeling to everything, even though it is consistently terrific. Not so with the Hyatt Kathmandu. I felt like not only was everything terrific, I felt such warmth and kindness from every single staff member I encountered that I felt like I was being welcomed to someone's home. What a truly great experience!

I would come back to Nepal just to stay another couple of nights here!

My husband and I are still talking about our stay and all the delicious food we ate. Now that is what I can call a very memorable, heavenly experience.

• Stayed April 2014
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comment and time you have taken to write. Indeed the hotel has its own charm and beauty and is a perfect place to unwind and relax after a tiring trek . The Regency Club with its additional services is a choice many of our guests enjoy while overlooking the Boudhanath Stupa. I am very happy to read that you had a great experience, enjoyed the food and found our service exemplary.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Great Surprise
My stay started with some e-mails to the hotel regarding the food allergy. Quick replies assuring the special attention and no issues at all.
Room – Spacious, comfortable bed, nice desk and wonderful view to Boudha Stupa. Fantastic Bathroom with nice amenities and shower separated from the tub.
Internet – Very fast comparing to others in Nepal. Free for Diamond Members.
Breakfast – Had the chance to have it at Club Lounge and at the main restaurant. Club Lounge, limited but with better quality items and very quiet. Free for Diamond Members.
Lobby – You really feel you are in Nepal. Spacious and with lots of nice sculptures. At night there are always some locals performing nice local instruments.
Location – US$ 7 official taxi ride from airport. No need to reserve, just pay at the exit from the airport inside the terminal. The hotel it’s near by Boudha Stupa and a bit far from Thamel and other landmarks. But don’t worry, taxis in Nepal are really cheap. The hotel offers a Executive Car for US$ 10 an hour with driver.
Business Centre – Very prestative and caring team. Not expensive.
Pool – Great but not heated. Plenty of towels and sunbeds available.
Food – Lot’s of choice to eat. On my case, special thanks for the attention to my Gluten allergy. The team even prepared special hours d’oeuvres items Gluten Free. Fantastic!
Hotel Staff – All the people in Nepal are warm. The whole team at the Hotel was very prestative and care. Special thanks to Mrs. Mamata at the Club Lounge which did everything to make the stay even better.
Special thanks also to Mr. Suman Shrestha for the attention in advance.
Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hyatt Regency K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them , hence it is gratifying to know that your culinary requirement were well taken care of. As mentioned by you, the Regency Club with its additional services is a choice many of our guests enjoy while overlooking the Boudhanath Stupa. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel’s efficient services. Your appreciation of our service is very motivating for the team and I will certainly pass on your kind compliment to Ms. Mamata & Mr. Suman.

Thank you once again indeed and we very much look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Patrick Iserlohe

Been to Hyatt Regency Kathmandu? Share your experiences!