“Put here after booking another hotel, then overcharged” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Elite
Jyatha, Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal   |
Ranked #232 of 387 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Newcastle, Australia
“Put here after booking another hotel, then overcharged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Beware - We booked another hotel, but were accommodated in the Elite. We could not get to the bottom of why this occurred. Various contradictory explanations were given. It was claimed that the other hotel was undergoing renovations. Then it was claimed that the booking was incorrectly made. The latter is clearly not true I received an automatic request to review the hotel I originally booked. Something very shonky going on here.
The Elite was just ok. However, when leaving the bill was nearly double the amount that the internet booking had said was still outstanding. The reasons - the NRP1000 deposit was claimed to be really a booking fee (not true), and the room charges were all 23 % higher than that quoted on the internet booking (claimed service charge and taxes).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bangalore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We got a double room for 550 NPR/night w/bathroom. However, the toilet didn't flush, the sink didn't work, the room smelled like smoke and the pillows were worthless. They also offer travel services but the person in charge was ripping people off with no problem. Not worth trusting. The people behind the desk were helpful though. Be careful what you keep in their storage room, it's not a locked room and it also functions as their storage room/bed for workers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is just horrible. There is no other way to describe it.
I arrived and asked for the price of a room. The staff member said $6. So I went up to look at the rooms. One didn't have a functioning light globe in the bathroom. The workers replaced it though. The toilet in this room didn't flush as well. For some reason, the windows in this room were left wide open so there were about a dozen mosquitoes buzzing around the room.
Another room still had dirty sheets on it from the previous guest. I sat and waited while the workers changed the sheets. While I did this, I noticed that the mattress was ripped and that foam was falling out of it. The staff had brought in a bucket with cleaning supplies, but they didn't use it. They left foam on the floor and the bathroom a mess. Hair and dirty footprints on the floor in there.
I should have left, but against my best judgment I decided to stay and toughen it out. It was only going to be a night.
I went down to the reception to pay. The receptionist decided to add the 13% VAT to the bill raising the price to $7 a night. I don't mind paying VAT, but at least tell me when I enter and ask for the price. Don't raise it after I've unpacked my bags and settled in the room. This embodies the bad service you will receive in this hotel.
Returning to my room, I chose to lay down and relax for a bit. While doing so, I noticed that there was a blood stain on the pillow case that they had just replaced. Disgusting! The pillows were harder than rocks. I have heard that some "pillows" in this country are just t-shirts stuffed cover. It wouldn't shock if these are the pillows used at Hotel Elite. The blanket was rough as guts too. It felt like sandpaper against my skin. I don't know how long I slept for that night, but it was not long. I think I stared at the ceiling for longer than I closed my eyes.
The next morning, I didn't shower. I didn't want to know what horrors that would produce. No soap, shampoo or toilet paper was provided anyway.
The one redeeming feature of Hotel Elite is that staff are always available and if you come home late at night they will swiftly let you in the gate. You don't have to wait in the monsoon rain for 20+ minutes like you do at some other budget hotels.
Some people may say "Well... What do you expect to get for only $6?" However, there are some simple things that even the most basic hotel should have. Like cleaning the room after a guest leaves. I've stayed in several $6 rooms in my last year and a half in Kathmandu. So I know there are better options available.
Upon checking out, I noticed the guest sheet and about 3/4 were Nepalese with a couple of Indians. Only a couple of rooms were occupied by people who weren't from the subcontinent. In fact, every time I walked down the balcony to get to my room, I had the displeasure of seeing a hairy, overweight Indian "gentleman" in his room wearing nothing but his underwear because he didn't have the decency to close his curtains. This hotel obviously doesn't appeal to foreigners and mainly caters to the locals and their incredibly low standards. These standards of filth and dysfunction may be acceptable to them, but it is terrible for everyone else.
AVOID THIS HOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

In Nov/2011, it just 300NPR/night. The twin room is approx. 4m X 3.5m with 2-sides windows. The privacy is great, the back window is 4~10m to its neigbour while the side window is 2m.

There are 5 out of 3 units/floor has attached bath room while 2 bath room for the other 2 units.
The bath room space is approx. 3.5m X 3.5m. I stayed with the shared one.

It locates at a quite lane, just a stone throw to Thamel and Tourist Bus Station (to Pokhara)

The demerit is the hot water shower uses 'sun energy', may be in winter time (Dec~???) need a bucket of heat water.

Room Tip: The corner rooms