“Excellent Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 149 Hotels in Kathmandu
Noida
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our stay at Backyard hotel on our first time to Kathmandu was excellent, they have clean rooms, central location in thamel, staff was very courteous and helpful. Will surely come back again.The price is very reasonable and fair and special mention to Sujan who made our stay comfortable. There was some political unrest at that time in Kathmandu, but the hotel arranged our taxi to airport without any issues.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from India, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for your stay at our hotel. We were pleasured being at your service. Hope we get this opportunity in future again. We are glad you liked our place. All the best to you. Thank you.

Sunil Manandhar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ranum, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I wanted to go to Nepal for a long time. Booking flight tickets and then the hotel..... Looking for something not too expencieve, not too far from the city, and a good feedback. No doubt the choice was "Backyard Hotel" in Tamel part of Kathmandu. This i did not regret one second. Durga the owner is outstanding. 110% trust worthy, all trying he's outmost to make you stay as plealsent as possible. Ask him ANY question, and he will help. I can just confirm what is all ready written. Low prices for the trips (just ask around, there are many options in Tamel) . You will see. 6****** if it was possible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from Denmark, Namaste!!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My first time to Nepal and i must say I am impressed with the Nepalese Hospitality. Durga who owns the place is an excellent chap..not only did we get an awesomely nice room for a very cheap rate he also sorted all our tours for an amazingly low fare. It was a pleasant experience throughout....our airport transfer was right outside waiting for us when we go out of the airport. Our flight was delayed for 2 hours and yet the driver very patiently waited for us and greeted us with a smile when we arrived. Once i reached the hotel, the room was ready and i realized that the location was very convenient. Room is spacious for its low fare. Bathroom is pretty big as well with 24/7 hot water and electricity. There is a rooftop breakfast area. Durga has many contacts and he got or return flights to Pokara and the Everest tour flight for a very special price. He also sorted out the airport pick up in Pokara and the stay here as well. It's a one stop hotel that offers not just the room but a whole lot of service for its occupants. His staff Manish,Mahesh,Nis and Depen are also helpful. Locked myself outside of the room once and Nis come up and sorted it for me without a complain. I honestly am satisfied with this hotel would definitely encourage anyone to come here whether they are alone or travelling with someone as Durga is just an amazing chap and he makes your life so much easier by helping you with anything and everything. Definitely would come back again. Thanks Durga!!

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the night club might be a better option for the light sleeper. I sleep like a log so...
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from Ireland, Namaste!!

Rotterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My first arrival at Backyard Hotel in the beginning of June already gave a great impression. I got welcomed by Manish, who showed me the way to my room. I got a very reasonable and fair price for a clean room with two beds, a flat screen television, clean sheets and towels, 'mosquito windows', always at least one working light (which is very convenient with the power shut offs in Nepal) and a clean and decent outside bathroom (also with 24/7 working light) with, as far as I know, 24/7 working hot water. At your arrival you get 2 bottles of drinking water, which is quite nice when you arrive late and you haven't had the possibilities to buy something to drink.

The hotel is placed in the center of Thamel in a side alley. This is nice, because you are not facing the busy main street. The lobby has one computer with internet possibilities (although the internet doesn't always work) and free wifi (which always works as far as I know). There is a laundry service, a little bit more expensive than the laundry services in Thamel, but at least you know that your laundry will be back clean and in all pieces.

This is the fourth time I am staying in this hotel, and I have been using it as my home base whenever returning to Kathmandu after my travels through Nepal.

The staff is very friendly, open and always helpful whenever you have some kind of request.

In the reception there is Manish (I have been having a drink with him once), Nishan (just came back from the cinema with him) and since recently I also met Deven (we'll probably hang out soon). Very cool and outgoing guys. They have treated me as friends since the first day I came here, which is the reason why I come back here every time I am in Kathmandu.

The accountant, Mohan, also a very cool and sincere guy. One of my first days in Thamel he already showed me around a little bit in his free time and we hung out in some cool place with his friends.

Mahesh, the cook, a very friendly and helpful guy as well. Makes you breakfast how you please it and you can always ask for more potatoes, toast or tea whenever you feel hungry after your first portion, which is very cool as well. Breakfast usually starts at 07:00 but when I left to Pokhara and had to have the bus at approximately 07:00, the evening before I asked if I could have breakfast on my room, around 06:30, so I would not have to be hungry during my journey. Mahesh brought me my breakfast at 06:15, which left me plenty of time to prepare for my trip.

In the morning you always get the Kathmandu Post delivered to your room, which is very nice as well.

About the music. Somebody posted that the music ends at 02:00 AM, which is NOT true. First of all, all clubs and bars in Thamel are only allowed to play music until 00:00. Second of all, in my experience, the music always ends between 23:00 and 00:00 and most of the time it is around 23:00.
The fact that the music is playing, is not a problem of the hotel, and whenever you have problems with the music, you can either close your windows (doesn't mute it totally though), buy some ear plugs or search for a hotel outside Thamel. Since all the hotels in the neighborhood are facing the same problem, it is not something the hotel can fix. You are staying in a touristic area, so you should deal with the touristic activities that come along with it.

Whenever you arrive late (approximately 23:00 or later), you can get in the hotel by entering the side door, which can be accessed through the gate before the hotel (enter the gate and then knock on the door to the right).

If you have any requests or questions, the manager and the staff is always friendly and open to help you as good as possible.

I will definitely continue coming back to Backyard in the next month, and also in my future journeys to Nepal.

I highly recommend this place, and if you don't want to face disappointment in a full booked hotel, you should call them and make a reservation upfront.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from Netherlands, Namaste!!

Swords, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Backyard hotel has very clean rooms, 24hr hot shower, very central location and stunning roof top terrace. Best feature of my stay was the hotels staff, being it houskeeping, reception or the manager, everyone is so friendly, caring and trying to genuinely help you every way they can. After arriving i immediately felt at easy, clicked with everyone and enjoyed the stay way beyond my expectation. Being on a move for over year and a half I confident to say that this hotel is my 2nd home and I will ALWAYS come back to this place

Room Tip: -If you want to get a wifi in the room insist either on 1st or 5th floor, other rooms may not have f...
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from Ireland, Namaste!!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

great mid range option, very friendly staff especially nissan and devon. recommended.

TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from Canada, Namaste!!

china
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

i like this hotel.roooms are very clean.very good staff very good service.DEVEN is very good in his service.not only deven other are also good.This hotel is located in central thamel and rates of hotel is good.Boss durga is very Feiendly.I Like this hotel very much i will recomend all my friend to stay in this hotel and meet deven very nice boy.i will come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from China, Namaste!!

Sunil Manandhar

Been to Backyard Hotel? Share your experiences!