“A bad experience” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #66 of 367 Activities in Kathmandu
More attraction details
Owner description: GRG's is the No.1 for whitewater rafting, kayaking and canyoning in Nepal and voted TripAdvisor 'Travelers Choice' for three years in a row. Owned and operated by the National Kayak Champion, we are the only company in Kathmandu that specialises in kayaking. Whether you have a week, day or a month, you want to raft, kayak, or go canyoning, you are a beginner or a pro we guarentee we have the ideal trip for you.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
kathmandu
4 attraction reviews
“A bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went Canyoning with this company and it was a very bad experience. The equipment we were given was not adequate and I felt scared. We were abseiling and and sliding down waterfalls and wearing only shorts, t-shirts and my own teva sandals and I ended up with scratches and bruises all over my body. We saw another company called Paddle Nepal who provided their customers with full protection like wetsuits and boots and they had special life jackets and harnesses too. I wished I had done more research before booking and gone with the professionals. Although the guide seemed nice enough, I would not recommend going Canyoning with this company.

Visited November 2012
GRGAdventures, Manager at GRG's Adventure Kayaking - Day Tours, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Hi Gillian, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your trip with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not feel that our safety was up to scratch, however I am very surprised to hear this as we always have full and half length wetsuits available and spare shoes for those who do not have appropriate footwear themselves.

I'm afraid that I do not have a record of anybody by the name of Gillian joining a canyoning trip with us. If possible, please could you email us on info@grgadventurekayaking.com and let us know the date of your trip as it would be very helpful for us.

Once again, we apoligise profusely that you did not enjoy your trip, as you can see this is our first bad review and we always try our utmost to make sure people have a great, fun and safe time. Many Thanks, Maila.

Bude, United Kingdom
“Amazing day trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went on a one day rafting trip in August 2012 on the Trisuli River. The whole day was awesome, Maila and the gang are amazing at what they do! you can never ever fault any of them! they always made you feel safe but of course having fun at the same time! (maila style!) it was my first time going rafting and maila made sure i was ok and having a good time and also reasured me that i would have an amazing day, which i did!!!
When we stopped for lunch break, the gang got set to work straight away, there was no hanging about for food!! the lunch spread was awesome, even for those fussy eaters you could always find something there you would eat so dont worry about going hungry!!
When it was time to go home, there was only me and one other volunteer going back with Chriisy but Maila made sure we got on the transport to the bus and on the right bus safely.
When we werent on a day trip Chrissy and Maila always made sure we were all happy and satisfyed with what we were doing!
Thanks again for an amazing five weeks, you made me feel very welcome in your country!

Visited August 2012
GRGAdventures, Owner at GRG's Adventure Kayaking - Day Tours, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hi Natalie, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us. Although we only had one day in the water with you, it was great to have you in Pokhara for three months. Hopefully we will see you back here again and now you have got over your initial fear of the rivers we can take you out again!!
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Sun kosi River Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

First of all apologies for not writing this sooner......normal life resumed after the trip and I just havent had time.

Since coming back in mid October 2012, people have asked me...."how was your rafting trip?"
3 hours later I am still telling all the stories, like it happended only yesterday.....

In short and not to send you all to sleep going on about how we opened Hakapour for the season....and how we fought Jaws...Chrissy & Maila run a superb business, the trip had eveything and all done in a safe and hassle free manner.

All the support staff just know what they are doing and your guaranteed a trip of a life time.

Superb......well done guys.

Visited October 2012
GRGAdventures, Owner at GRG's Adventure Kayaking - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thanks for the review. It's always great to hear when people have had a n amazing trip! You guys did so well opening the Sun Kosi river for the season - such good fun! We hope to see you in Nepal again - we can tackle some more rapids together next year! Keep in touch, Maila
Wargrave, United Kingdom
“Organised, excellent itinerary and good guides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nepal can be a chaotic place. The Nepalese really do have a different approach to being organised and getting things done and this can often cause problems for westerners that want to pack their holidays with action. . Fortunately you don't have to worry because GRG's know how to navigate this cultural gulf to deliver excellent trips.

I was nervous before I went to Nepal. I had heard stories of companies promising lots and then pulling out at the last minute. I also knew from experience how things can be fluid and change fast in Nepal and that promises can be broken. For instance; if I book a boat to hire will it have all the right outfitting or will I be paddling a tub? Will my choice of boat get written off the week before I arrive leaving me without a boat. Will my river guide speak english? we all know how dangerous it can be when communications go wrong on the river! was the guide pointing out the line or the hazard?

Thankfully GRG's put my mind at rest. They communicated well before I travelled and suggested an appropriate itinerary at a sensible price (14 days over Christmas new year 2012). They delivered the exact boat and paddle as promised (Everest and Werner powerhouse), They used excellent guides that could get things sorted on and off the river, they were street and river wise enabling us to cut through the Nepalese habit for procrastination and inertia and get on a river every day according to the itinerary.

They know how to run rivers in a number of different styles not just the run and read style that Nepalese kayakers use. We eddy hopped some boulder gardens on the Marsyandi to check the lines were clear making our descent safer, we also inspected many of the harder rapids.

I know from experience that these things do not always get delivered in a place like Nepal. But GRG's have mastered that blend of western and Nepalese organisation. Well done.

Visited December 2012
Joe, thanks for the detailed review. You gave some really useful feedback and we appreciate it. Nothing like paddling a Himalayan River over Christmas! See you next year, Maila
Dalian, China
“GRG is the way to go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I'm not one to write reviews, but when it comes to GRG I feel absolutely inclined to.

Chrissy is amazing with helping you organize the type of trip you are craving. Maila, James, and the rest of the GRG crew are class acts. Everyone has your back. They really make you feel part of the GRG family.

I spent 11 days in Nepal, and did almost everything I wanted thanks to GRG's help. Kayaking. Canyoning. Elephant safari. Paragliding. Canyon swing. Bungy jump. Rafting. Along with time to just relax - explore on foot, take a boat out on the lake, hike up to the world peace pagoda, spend time at an after-school kids program. The only thing I didn't do was go on a trek, and that's simply because I didn't have the time.

Without a doubt, without hesitation, I can say with ease that GRG made Nepal an adventure I will never forget.

Visited October 2012
Sam, it was so lovely to meet you and really great to hear you enjoyed all the activities we provided - you are right, I don't think we could have fitted anything else into your time here! That just means you'll have to come back next time to do some trekking. Good luck with your next move, we'd be interested to hear where you end up! Keep in touch, Chrissy x