“Great budget option right in the heart of Thamel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Silver Home to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thamel, Chibahal, Kathmandu 00977, Nepal   |
Ranked #18 of 134 hotels in Kathmandu
San Francisco, California
“Great budget option right in the heart of Thamel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I have now stayed at Hotel Silver Home 3 times and have had a great experience each stay. The staff are very nice and helpful and the free wifi works even during (frequent) power cuts. For those on a strict budget, the top floor dorm is a great option and always filled with friendly travelers. I have also stayed in a very clean double room with en-suite toilet and thought it was a nice value. This has become my home base whenever I stay in Thamel and I suggest you make it yours as well!

• Stayed February 2013
HimalayanYeti, Owner at Hotel Silver Home, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

So nice to see again here on tripadvisor after your experience at Silver Home first thanks goes to tripadvisor.com made us together in this world also many thanks you too. Your feedback made us more higher experience in hospitality service we will keep it up same service continued.

Thamel,Kathmandu,Nepal

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel after the rave reviews online. When I arrived I was told that the room I had booked and paid for was not available (due to flight delays for another guest) and I can stay at the hotel next door for the night and come down in the morning to check into the room I booked. No worries I thought, needless to say the room I was given was not to the same quality I had pre arranged. It had a single bed (I asked for double), no power or generator so was stuck with my headlamp to rummage through my belongings, the door handle was broken and barely locked, and I did not dare have a shower as the whole bathroom stunk of rust. When I turned on the water it stunk so bad of metal I did not even brush my teeth in the morning.

The next day I head down to see if I can transfer my gear to the new room. Apparently the guests got their flight out ok and the cleaner was just getting it ready. When I go to have a look it is in pretty much the same condition as the last room, when I question this they say, oh that room is not available, take this one and you can move into that one tomorrow! I say no thanks, moving every night is not really what I had in mind when I booked one hotel for 4 nights.

Seeing my dissatisfaction they continue to show me two other rooms, both similar but not what I had booked. All rooms were dirty and especially the bathrooms were smelly and rusty.

I have stayed at other Thamel hotels/hostels and this one definitely does not deserve its rating. For the same price you can stay somewhere cleaner, that has a generator for power at night, wifi that works, a tv, towel, extra blanket, free mineral water and toilet paper, none of which was provided by hotel silver home.

In the end I managed to get a refund for the other 3 nights which I was happy with. Seriously there are much better places you can stay.

• Stayed January 2013
HimalayanYeti, Owner at Hotel Silver Home, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Ally,

We are so sorry about your experience with us main reason is that you have been late check in if you check in on time we can manage you same place what you booked and we manage room in next door because of all room was full. Another day we are trying to shift you at Silver Home but you were change your mind and look for other guest house at last we refund your all advance payment. In this case i understand with your experience without stay at Silver Home all details such a wonderful dramatic details on review. Please make sure and be clear where you have been stay and give a true experience.

Thamel,Kathmandu,Nepal
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Found these guys on wikitravel and only planned to spend a couple nights, but I've been here for nigh on a week now. The cheaper rooms, which are 700 as a single and 900 as a double, (104, 304, 404) are clean enough and nicely sized with some of the better bathrooms I've had in this part of the world. (Note: I have heard 304's toilet is on the fritz.) The dorm is 300 and has a clean bathroom. The hot shower is really hot and it actually is 24hr, so after 7 weeks of traveling around India, I finally had my first hot shower here!

The wifi in the lobby is protected from the power outages and is on all night. There is also one small light in each room that goes on when the power is out, but you may need a flashlight for the bathroom if that happens.

In addition to the wifi in the lobby, there is a really fun crowd of people always hanging out. And there is also a nice, sunny courtyard just outside that is shared by two neighboring hotels.

It can be a bit tricky to find Hotel Silver Home when you first arrive, but keep looking because it's definitely worth it. After India, I feel like I'm in heaven here.

Oh, and Managing Director Yogi is a really cool guy. And he's like a skinny Psy. Deepandra, the manager and the tour operator can be a bit intimidating at first, what with his booming voice, but turns out that he's a nice, helpful guy with a lot of knowledge about all your tourism-related needs.

The place is clean enough, has plenty of hot water, wifi that doesn't quit, the crowd is cool, and the guys seem to be an honest bunch.

Room Tip: There are four floors of four rooms, minus 2004 and plus the dorms on the 5th floor. Rooms X001 and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HimalayanYeti, Owner at Hotel Silver Home, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Alex,

Many thanks for your value time to giving us more impressed with other clients after your excellent stay at Silver Home. We really appreciate for your lovely review on TA and we will keep our best service more in future too. Please feel free to contact and leave any require for future plan to come in Nepal we will update our news from Nepal.

Thamel,kathmandu,Nepal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

It's a very excellent hotel!We have many unexpected events during this tour.But the bosses of this hotel help us a lot to slove these problems.They are so kind and the hotel is really like our home in Nepal.The staffs are very friendly,too.The hotel has good conditions,too.It runs hot water 24hrs and it has free wifi 24hrs.It's the best hotel I've been in Nepal!

• Stayed January 2013
Jodhpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We came to the Silver Home by following other people's advice and we were not wrong: the hotel is located in central Thamel, just next to all the restaurants and bars of the zone. The staff servicing in the hotel is great, and the best part of all, is really unexpensive. Really hot water shower, free wi fi and breakfast included for ten bocks is just irresistible. The owner, Yogi Lama, is a kind and really helpfull guy. The manager, Dipendra Lama, just made the trekking what we wanted to do and, on top of all that, the guide that they gave us was the best of all the hikings we did in Nepal, a wonderfull guy named Pancha Lama. So, if you are planning a small budget journey but really want big service, Hotel Silver Inn is what you're looking for. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor had excellent wi-fi coverage. Rooms on top floor are quieter, but the signa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

the hotel silver home in kathmandu is very nice. the rooms are clean and comfortable. before i arrived in kathmandu i wrote a email to the hotel and then they picked me up at the airport to bring me to the hotel for free. the hotel manager mr. yogi lama and his whole stuff are very friendly and helpfull. also the tour manager mr. diperdra lama is verry nice. i booked a very nice tour to the annapurna range. this was one of the best trips in my life. i had a very good trekking guide named "naya" with me and we had a lot of fun.
i really enjoined my time here and will come back as soon as possible!
thank you for everything...i will miss you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HimalayanYeti, Owner at Hotel Silver Home, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Katrin,

Thank you very much for your such a lovely time to write about us on tripadvisor it helped us to step up our service ,hospitality and many more. We still talking about your homely and friendly stay with us to the other clients too. Wel come back again in up coming holiday time at Silver Home.

kathmandu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Its most beautiful amazing place to stay at kathmandu.preferbly they have best service.very cooperative in every regards.its matchless service n warm cozy atmospere with affordable prize.you have value of your money .just great.

Room Tip: 101 and 102 room is best
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HimalayanYeti, Owner at Hotel Silver Home, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Dani,

Thank you very much for your value time to write about your stay in Silver Home. Your feedback will be on first choice in our service which is most important to upgrade our hospitality. We keep continued same service and many more future too. We wel come back you again anytime in future.

Thamel,kathmandu,Nepal

Been to Hotel Silver Home? Share your experiences!