“2 Nights @ the Khangsar” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Khangsar Guest House

You added Khangsar Guest House to your Saves list
Khangsar Guest House
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   PO Box 20976, Thamel | Chhetrapati, Kathmandu 25451, Nepal   |
Ranked #20 of 373 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“2 Nights @ the Khangsar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Clean small hotel in Themel area. Friendly & helpful staff. Hot water in the shower! Not obvious when you are sitting in reception lounge but they sell bottles of beer. Only discovered this by accident - they should advertise!!!
Convenient location for walking/touring around Khatmandu. Turn left on the street and you are immediately into the heart of the shopping/dining area. Great restaurant approx 100m down the street on right hand side with outdoor courtyard. Don't miss the Nepalese favourite dish - momos - yummy!
Loads of taxis about, but agree the price first and maybe ask hotel reception for some guide prices. Consider a local guide for tour of all the temples or points of interest as most are better located by walking rather than short taxi rides. Again agree price before you start.
Photo opps around every corner. Monkey temples, pigeons temples, Buddhist monks, soaring kestrels, Hindu holy men (Sadhus), incredible building facades, Hindu cremations on the holy Bagmati river, UNESCO world heritage sites - a shooters dream!
Khangsar is great base to explore Kathmandu at very low cost. No frills so don't expect 5 Star. You get what you pay for after all!

Room Tip: Ask for extra mattress on the bed. The standard mattress is too thin! Or grab mattress from spare be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dhaka, Bangladesh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Staying in Thamel while you are in Kathmandu , It's the only fascination other than Historical Budhist /Hindu's Temples & Museums. Wondering around Thamel , Shopping trekking stuff (North face good copies) and Yalk wool products, Bars and live music that's all about Thamel.

Khangsar Guest house situated in the middle of Thamel, experienced stay here with economy ( 12 USD per night ) and travel info / Guidance with extra smile on Raj's face( the Manager of KGH ) who is a professional in his work. He extended his support while i was in search of flight for my wife and was facing difficulties although at the end couldn't manage. Dependra the receprion manager also an honest guy who was in communication with me throughout my trip while I was in Pokhara andd Chitwan. Thanks Khangsar for adding value to my vacations in Nepal.

Room Tip: Double Bed rooms are best but check hot water first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had been staying at Khangsar guest house for 7 nights. It is nestled in perfect location, middle of Thamel. The place is safe and clean with helpful staffs. The manager can help you to arrange trekking trip or visit attraction places in Kathmandu.
Free wifi is available in reception area.

I would strongly recommend you to stay at Khangsar Guest house. It is worthed the money you pay for.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I booked for 5 nights though this became 12 after I got sick. Raj does an amazing job running this guesthouse & I felt very welcomed. All the staff are very helpful and friendly. Raj helped me to organise a trek with a guide, though at the last minute I changed my mind & decided that as a solo woman traveller i would prefer to trek in a group. He was very understanding and refunded the cost of the trek in full. The staff were always happy to refill my water bottle with fresh water which was nice because I was conscious of not using too many plastic bottles. Great location, hot showers, nice rooftop & reception area. Couldn't access wifi from the room (I was on one of the top floors) but it was available in the reception area which is a cosy place to hang out. My only suggestion would be that for longer term guests like myself the room is cleaned - perhaps after one week. Though I'm sure if I had asked this wouldnt have been a problem. Great value for money overall and I thank Khangsar guesthouse for providing me with a comortable and friendly place to stay during my longer than expected visit to Kathmandu!

Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at this guest house for one week middle September, and booked several tours and hotels with them. They manager was all over me when I was booking these, getting his commissions I guess. I left Kathmandu for Chitwan and Pokhara and booked to come back to
the Khangsar for another week on my return. I stay for one night and the next morning they told me I had to leave as they had a group coming in. I just felt very unhappy that having a booking with them means nothing. All they were after was new people they could sell tours and hotels too.
I could not recommend this Guest House. I would also say book your own trip on the internet or when you get to Chitwan or Pokhara as you get much better deals. Its much cheaper to do that. I really felt ripped off.
Brian

Room Tip: Beds were hard and rooms were hot. The price was good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great value. 15 minute walk to Durbar Square (Basantapur) and 30 minute walk to Swayambhunath. Also close to many shops and restaurants. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the manager (Raj) will help you plan and book any onward travel. Specific things I appreciated: they exchanged my USD at the actual exchange rate, lent me a Nepal Lonely Planet book for the duration of my trip, and arranged a taxi to the airport for less than I could have negotiated on the street. The restaurant is good also.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so the lower the floor, the less stairs you have to climb
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

As with any hostel, I was just interested in a good nights sleep. Khangsar offers good sleep, good location, good food, excellent staff. Large clean rooms, electricity most of the time :) as with hot water. I most appreciated the manager (Raj) helping set me up with tours of Kathmandu and a flight to Lukla and a trek to Namche to view Mt Everest (4 days round trip) including room and board and a porter/guide. If you plan on trekking the Himalaya's I would recommend using locals arrange the trek, you will have a lot less hassle arriving at your destinations/connections.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Khangsar Guest House? Share your experiences!