“beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
“beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Set in the heart of the Thamel tourist district Yin Yang is a beautiful restaurant and offers excellent food and service at medium cost for Kathmandu. Steak are cooked to perfection, the beef is some of the best I've ever had, incredibly tender and it wasn't a one of I've been many time over the years and the quality remains the same. I think it's one of a very few places you can eat beef in Kathmandu.
The staff are excellent, very attentive but know when to give you space. The inside of the restaurant is beautifully decorated.
Food is Nepalese/Asian, European/USA.
Really enjoy my stays in Kathmandu and never miss a chance to re visit Yin Yang.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bangkok, Thailand
“Recommend to try ^^”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Recommend all to try thai food in Yin yang restuarant @ Thamal, Kathmandu
It was so good tasted for us(Thai people) who miss thai food so much while we traveled
in Kathmandu.
We can tell you all that you will enjoy your meal there for sure!!! while price as you can pay.

Atmosphere there is so good both of inside and outside. We loved it. ^^

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Very authentic Thai in Thamel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had a late lunch with a friend who is less familiar with Thai food. We shared a shrimp hot and sour soup which was great, very complex and sour. The pad Thai was good with a lot of small dried shrimp in it, more authentic than most Thai places in the US. Finally we had a chicken greed curry dish which was spicy but rich and balanced. The outdoor patio was very pleasant and the service attentive. I'd definitely dine here again as I am currently wild about Thai.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Yanchpe Western Australia
“It was recommended but it didn't do it for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have heard some rave reviews about this place but when I went there were only two tables occupied and I was one of them so as far as atmosphere goes there wasn't any so I cannot comment on that but, the food well was very average and the spring rolls were tasteless and I didn't eat them. Compared to the sister restaurant Third Eye there is no comparison, yet I heard this was better so I had high expectations, so I think it is down to personal taste.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kelowna, Canada
“Fairly authentic Thai food in Thamel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It's definitely not Thailand, but pretty good Thai food, especially when you remember you're in Nepal. We did need the fish sauce & other condiments to finish our dishes, but overall everyone in our group was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the food.

My husband & I ordered the noodle salad with seafood & there was a very generous portion on squid in the dish. The spring rolls were bland & served with cheap soy sauce. The penang curry was ok (needed the fish sauce) & the pad thai noodles with pork were tasty. Some friends ordered the coconut soup, which was very well flavoured. So if you remember that you're not ordering Thai food in Thailand & are prepared that you won't get the same complexity of flavours, then this is a good option for eating a different food type.

The outdoor courtyard seating is really nice, particularly when you step out of the hectic streets of Thamel. Service was satisfactory ... the waiter was happy to accommodate everyone in our group paying separately.

One very disappointing side note though, for a restaurant of this type, the bathroom was atrocious. I've seen & smelled way cleaner in tiny Nepali restaurant dives. We've lived in Nepal for several months & so our bathroom expectations for Nepal are pretty realistic, but this was especially bad. I didn't see the bathroom until we'd finished our meal, which is just as well as I may not have wanted to order. This restaurant does definitely need to improve its hygiene.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere