“THE place in KTM for real fillet steaks” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 412 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
BAS
“THE place in KTM for real fillet steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Prices may have exploded, the waiters are as dour as ever, the decor is laughable... but the steaks here are simply the real McCoy.

I must have had dozens of steaks here over two decades -- including a couple of Chateaubriands (these are a must-see...) -- and I've never been disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Miri
“Deteriorated since the reviews ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've been to the Everest Steak House a couple of times in the past few years and both times I've had a moderately severe stomach upset the next day. With all the gastric risks in Kathmandu it's difficult to prove causality but ... Aside from this, in terms of the décor etc. this place has definitely gone downhill since I first visited I 2006 and when they got all those awards.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Geelong, Australia
“A Clumsy Attempt at Fine Dining”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Everest Steakhouse is dated to say the least. They proudly claim that they won some international food award in Madrid in 2003. It's on the brochure and on the menu. However, ten years later, it not worth visiting.
The decor is severely dated. A blind man could make this place look better. The walls and carpet were stained. However, the worst part of it was that the light above my table was about 20 cm from my eyes. That was really uncomfortable.
The service was actually good. They were on top of everything, but they were severely overstaffed. There were about four tables with guests and about 5-6 waiters. At one point in the evening, a waiter was sitting down playing on his phone.
The food was average to say the best. I ordered the weiner schnitzel. It was like something I would receive at the pub back home. Not a "fine" dining restaurant with waiters wearing bow ties. The cut of meat was placed on way too many chips and the only garnish was a small slice of lime. No sauce. The salad on the side wasn't anything worth eating either.
Everest Steakhouse attempts to be a more formal dining alternative to the hipster hangouts in Thamel. However, the vibe is run down and the food isn't what it should be. Look elsewhere when in kathmandu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BenjaminItchyFeet
“Cow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Now I know that if you've been walking for 2 weeks and living on spam you'll pretty much appreciate anything but I've been here after 3 death marches in Langtang with my Nepalese buddy and I've never left feeling let down. This time we had an entire fillet each. We got a round of applause from a neighbouring table which is always lovely and while I consider myself a bit of a steak connoisseur with very high standards, I found it hard to fault this kilo of rareness on its own mountain of chips. I will continue to love this place and am gobsmacked at its detractors who clearly have no perspective or taste.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
tehran
“Best steak you can get in Thamel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went to Everest steak house twice and as we were 5 people we ordered various dishes and all of them were awesome! I loved filet minion and mushroom steak alot. Also the other day I ordered chicken shnitzel and it was so delicious too. Although the place is not a fancy place an is a little bit old, but the atmosphere is good and the location is very close to every spot in Thamel.
The staff are really kind but a few of them seem a bit confused and slow which is not a big deal in comparison to what you get
I will defenately go back there the next time I visit Kathmandu

• Visited May 2013