“Excellent experience at this Intercontinental!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Lusaka

You added InterContinental Lusaka to your Saves list
InterContinental Lusaka
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Haile Selassie Avenue | Po Box 32201, Lusaka 32201, Zambia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Lusaka
Heidelberg
“Excellent experience at this Intercontinental!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Hosted a very large event at this hotel in July-August time frame. Over 300 guests were travelling through and this was our main hotel. Everything was fantastic, from the conference and room management to the flexibility and kindness of the staff. The facilities were very nice, always clean and kept up and the food was fantastic. I was lucky enough to work with the some of the staff, Barbara, Kareem, Quintin and Michael and I have to say that I was actually sad to leave they were really so accomodating!
The facilities, to include the gym and pool were all very nice and the quality of the equipment was definitely top notch. Numerous guests utilized those facilities and always had good things to say. The bar was accomodating for our rowdier participants and the lobby was always clean, welcoming and available for many of our participants to meet up and get event information. After 6 years of hosting this event many of the return participants said that the reception dinner, hosted out by the pool, complete with local dancers provided by the hotel, was the best they had attended.
The staff was very friendly and professional, always walking around checking on guests and any problems (we only had a few very small problems) were resolved quickly and with smiles. Barbara, Kareem and Quintin were a very good team to work with, no matter the situation, and had no problem jumping in to help resolve issues our staff had not dealt with before, including cultural questions. We experienced some issues with the Nairobi airport burning down but the hotel was quick to help accomodate those of our guests that were affected.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, for relaxation and for business. If I had any complaints it is that it is not near any stores or restaurants but that is really no problem as a taxi ride is quick and relatively inexpensive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hiren P, General Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear pharlap31,

Thank you for taking the time to write of your great stay at the InterContinental Lusaka.

We were absolutely delighted to read your wonderful comments regarding your overall stay! This is most encouraging to our team as it motivates us to aim higher in terms of guest satisfaction and delivery!

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Lusaka for your Accommodation, Conference & Banqueting needs. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hiren Prabhakar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
ATHENS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed there for two nights during a business trip.
Overall I was satisfied by the stay, although I had constantly the feeling that something was missing from the standards of Intercon.

The building is rather old but the common areas are all very spacious and pleasant. Especially the exterior ones. Gardens, pool and Tennis courts are very good. The gym also was surprising big and complete.

The room was rather over used and can use some refurnishement however it was spacious and with all amenities and Intercon standards.

I was a bit disappointed by the quality of the food the first two days, although the last day it was suprisingly much better. Perhaps a new guy hoined in the crew.

Very good Quality of Internet and Coffee as well.
In addition, best scrambled eggs I have eaten in Africa, in the last two years.

Other than that I can't mention something important.
Prices rather high, as expected from Intercon and people very polite.

Anyway my stay was too short to notice anything more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hiren P, General Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear gtsint,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the InterContinental Lusaka.

We appreciate your positive comments regarding the hotel facilities, quality of coffee and most especially our internet! We have the largest bandwidth of any hotel in Lusaka and internet is now free of charge for all guests.

However, I am disappointed to hear that during the first two days of your stay the quality of food served did not meet your expectations, we are in the process of making a lot of changes with our new F&B offering and the reopening of the new restaurant.

We are also looking into refurbishing our guest rooms in the near future.

Despite these issues you experienced during your stay, we do hope this will not deter you from choosing InterContinental Lusaka and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was checked into a room that had had a smoker before and I had a cold. I stayed in there for two nights and on the third I couldn't take it. I had informed management before but they didn't do anything about it. But that evening I was given an upgrade to business room, for the next 3 nights.I must say that I loved the experience. Other than that, the gym facilities are great and so is the coffee! It was on the whole a rather pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Get one with a great view of the green and the city. 5th floor going upwards facing the entrance of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hiren P, General Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Tindi R,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your first two nights with us.

However, I am very pleased that you had a more pleasurable experience for your last three days.

We appreciate your comments regarding our health club facilities which has been a favorite for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Lusaka so you can enjoy more of our coffee!

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Except the queue at the restaurant for lunch, I don't see anything you could complain about, except maybe the speed of service sometimes. Very nice pool and gym, beautiful gardens. Perfect location, and reasonable prices for an intercont'

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear AB34000,

Thank you for your great review regarding you recent stay!

I apologize for the slow service you experienced. Our team are looking into this issue.

I do hope you will have another chance to stay with us again so you will be able to see a more positive difference in the speed of service

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Lusaka.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I experienced a good stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful with information for sight seeing in the area. The hotel was clean and nice looking through out, including the fitness room, (the ladies sauna room was nice), the outside pool area is beautiful day or night. We enjoyed the Sunday brunch which included live music. We also were pleased with the hair salon, laundry service...room service was a little slow and food not as good as going to the restaurant. The noise from outside made it difficult for me to sleep at times...but not my husband.
The manager, Hiren, was friendly and attentive to our stay and comfort. We will use this hotel again and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Angel D,

Thank you for taking the time to write of your great stay at the InterContinental Lusaka,

I was delighted to read your positive comments regarding our hotel facilities and the hospitality of our staff. This is extremely encouraging to our team as we aim to improve our standards of guest service.

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the slow room service and noise from outside the hotel. Our team has been addressed on the issues of Room Service.

I do wish you had informed a member of our team regarding the noise outside your room so that this could be addressed, ensuring a more pleasant stay.

Once again thank you for your wonderful review, this is much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Lusaka.

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here two times, first for a layover and later for a week. The place is ok, the staff is helpful and does their best. But the front desk and the consierge need a serious wake up slap. The people at the front desk seem more interested in looking at their computers in stead of helping people and the consierge made me want to cry. No "to do" packages and when asked about how to get places the answer was always "just take a taxi and go find out", amazingly irritating. On the plus side, the hotel has an interesting art gallery functioning in the in house mall, with very nice local pieces on display. The rooms are quite small and one day our minibar was sealed shut, for no apparent reason. Upon arrival, our AC was busted as well as the TV, this was guickly fixed though so they get a plus for service recovery. :)

Dear AndyLA76,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very disappointed to read of the low standard of service you received from our staff.
I assure you this is not our expected standard of service and these points you have raised have been addressed to our team.

We appreciate your candid feedback as this enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Service is painfully slow. Rooms are satisfactory, but aircon never seems to work. Food is pretty good and location is nice and central. Better than most that Lusaka has to offer, but falls well short of Intercon standards generally

• Stayed August 2013
Dear TheMooly,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the in-effective AC and slow service you received from our staff. I assure you that this is not our expected standard of service.

We were experiencing some challenges with the hotel AC unit, however this issue has been rectified and I can assure you all AC units in the hotel guest rooms are working effectively.

I do hope this recent experience will not deter you from choosing to stay at InterContinental Lusaka in the future and we hope to welcome you back soon to ensure you have a more positive experience.

Hiren Prabhakar

Been to InterContinental Lusaka? Share your experiences!