“Awfull attitude” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Kampala
Timisoara
“Awfull attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

These apartments are actually quite decent, and the location is very good. I had a colleague who stayed there, and recommended the place. The problem (like everywhere in Uganda) is the "muzungu tax". Owners can easily double the price just based on your skin colour. After many many many hours of negotiations, we finally agreed on the price and I've moved in. First problem: they gave me an apartment on the first floor even if the building was almost empty. That particular apartment was very dirty, with old and damaged furniture. I knew that the apartments from the upper floors look way better and they promised that I will get a better one the next day in the morning. After a night of battling cockroaches and mosquitoes (no bed net), I was quite eager to move my stuff to another apartment. But then - surprise! Apparently, for that price that I have negotiated, I could only get that crappy apartment. I was quite pissed, so I decided to pay for that night and find another place. First shock: the price for one night is 160$. Ok... no big deal, but they didn't want to give me a receipt. I called the manager and told him that I'm not paying if I don't get a receipt, so he was really upset and ordered the armed security guards not to let me leave. Eventually my company called him, and the receipt appeared miraculously, but even after I have payed, the security would still not let me leave. I called the manager again and threatened to call the police. His answer was very interesting: "Call whoever you want. They can't do anything...". Eventually, my company called him again, and I was allowed to leave. Definitely not a pleasant experience. With this kind of attitude, no wonder that the place was almost deserted. I suspect that I could have avoided all that by simply paying twice the normal price as the manager requested at the beginning (and why not? It's a well known fact that all white people are filthy rich...)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
HotelRuch, Manager at Prestige Apartments, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
To put the facts right, this guest completed a night at the apartments and wanted to leave without payment, threatened our staff severely; put up all sorts of excuses and displayed rogue-like behavior and eventually security had to get involved and a manager from a sister site had to be called in to deal with him.

We don't determine prices based on skin colour - the price is the same irrelevant of race, color, religion or nationality. Prices are in black and white for all to see at reception, and you were given a rate leaflet with the same before check-in.

Secondly, the client was allocated that apartment as he specifically requested a lower floor apartment.

Thirdly, all apartments have anti-mosquito nets on the windows, hence we don't provide nets. Its very probably that the client left the windows open without sliding the nets into place. All apartments are fumigated monthly to make sure vermin are exterminated effectively.

Fourth, you had already negotiated a price before check-in as you mentioned in earlier, so we don't exactly understand what shock you might be referring to. And the rate was $110 per night, and you were issued with a receipt for the same which is in your possession as well.

And fifth, we turn over a huge number of guests every month, all of whom are very happy with the services, location, and staff present here as the previous two reviews show.

We would appreciate it if next time you would write a review filled with facts, and not make-believe because you had to pay for the night you spent.

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I have stayed here a few times. The appartments are spacious, most (all?) have a balcony. It is a really good location assuming you want to be very near the centre but somewhere fairly quiet.

Sitting rooms are comfortable, bedrooms small but quite sufficient. There is also a kitchen area as part of the sitting room with enough of what you need for a few days stay and more. There is lots of parking space and a fairly bleak swimming pool.

As is common in Uganda it can be a challange to get something in the room repaired properly and there is no attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Equality, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

This modern and safe five story apartment hotel is in the heart of Kampala. The staff is friendly, the service very good. Furnished kitchen included microwave, blender, toaster, dishes, and pots and pans.

You are near the Embassy of France, Denmark and Serbia, and the statehouse is nearby.

Good Chinese across the street and Faze2, an upscale eatery around the corner.

Very nicely furnished rooms and comfortable beds. A really good bargain for upscale place.

Don't miss 1000 Cups Coffee House two blocks down the hill.

Cable TV and wireless internet!!!

• Liked — location, safety, staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Prestige Apartments? Share your experiences!