“Always nice to come back here! Fab' French food & wine!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Bougainviller

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampala
Hotel Le Bougainviller
You added Hotel Le Bougainviller to your Saves list
Plot 1-7, Katazamiti Road | Kiswa, Bugolobi, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Kampala
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Always nice to come back here! Fab' French food & wine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is my "home away from home" when I'm visiting Kampala, the hotel is a favourite with the company I work for.
The rates are good, the rooms are perfectly furnished for both business traveller and tourist alike, and it's something different from all those nameless atmosphere-less big chain hotels.
The Bougainviller offers spacious rooms divided in to two sections. Until now I had always stayed on the "pool side" of the hotel, but this was now the first time that I was on the "French village" side opposite the road.
Again very nicely done, you would swear you were in a small French village. The rooms are slightly smaller than on the "pool side" or at least mine (nr 33) was, but still generously big enough to have all the space you need.
I usually only always had breakfast while staying here, which is excellent with fresh fruit, toast, juice and a variety of egg dishes to chose from, but this time we finally ended up eating in "Le Bistro" as well, the hotel's restaurant.
Great food, all done with the special French touch, and great wines. If you're nice to the owner, Bruno, he might get you one of his special bottles.....

If I could think of anything that could need improvement it would only be the lighting on the "village" side of the hotel. I arrived late at night and nearly broke my neck on the stairs as I couldn't see the steps.
Apart from that nothing to complain, the wifi was working perfectly (and is for free/ included in the price) and I always had plenty of hot water to shower.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like, the "poolside" rooms are in general bigger and are closer to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was there on a business trip with several colleagues and we still speak about this horrendous experience until today and even considered legal actions but decide to laugh about this and warn other travelers instead.

The property is nice, a French oasis in Kampala with a restaurant serving average/decent food and wine and charming rooms named after famous French singers. The breakfast is underwhelming at best but ok for the room price (bon rapport qualite / prix).

Big downside about this hotel is the owner, a rude french speaking man who went out of his way to make our stay miserable. Our group was in shock at the poor level of customer service wereceived during our various business dinners and particularly at check out. After a conversation with him to provide feedback, he made it clear that our feedback was not important as the hotel with only a few rooms is fully booked all year round.

We vowed never to return to this property and would encourage other to do the same perhaps only then owner will change his outlook.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Kampala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We only viewed the hotel from the outside so cannot comment on the level of accommodation itself. Our visit ended in reception when we were booking in as we found the staff extremely rude & unhelpful. As a result we requested a refund of our money which they gladly did with no attempt made to resolve the problem. We just could not feel comfortable in such a hostile environment. Turns out they did us a favour as we cancelled our booking & found a better hotel with the quality of hospitality & service we are accustomed to in Uganda.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Bougainviller is a nice hotel located in a suburb of Kampala. Unusually, it is split in two by a small road. This did not turn to be a big problem. It is designed to resemble a Provencal village. Despite being quite close to a main road out of Kampala, it was calm and quiet during daylight hours. The bedrooms are spacious and nicely appointed. However, they lack natural light and are very poorly lit, are very poorly lit. The swimming pool is not very large but provides a refreshinh dip from the hot Kampala weather.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I found the hotel through a recommendation from who was very enthusiastic about. It was hard to locate it on the Internet because of the name is spelt the French way rather than usual way we are used to.
That said it's a small place that is actually split into two by a busy and pretty dusty road, but once I went inside I was was charmed b the layout and the decor.....very French. In fact my room was across the road and down some stairs that led into a courtyard that would be easily in a small French town, right down to faux street signs.
The setting is beautiful, rooms are basic but very comfortable, though I must say I found the bathrooms pretty dark because of all that black granite they used. The air conditioner worked silently and well, they have to because they are really no windows in this section of the hotel, the French doors open onto the courtyard.
The main hotel is where breakfast is served in a pleasant verandah kind of set, close to a small swimming pool that nobody ever used. The breakfast was French and very nice. I never ate dinner there as this is served in the French restaurant, also on site and I really was not interested in this cuisine.
What I loved was the tranquility this small hotel offered, you could almost ignore the hustle and bustle from the nearby Bugolobi shops and clubs.
The draw backs are that there is no room service and the staff do look a bit silly dressed up as French chamber maids. And on Saturday's there is a club next door that will play loud music till pretty late.
But I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: For privacy take a room across the road in the annexe.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Love it here, I travel a lot in East Africa for my work and I just so had it with staying in big chain hotels...all four stars+ but in general they do not have the personal touch.
When I go to Bougainville however (I usually only visit Kampala once a year) it's like coming home, the staff is friendly, welcoming and helpful, the little restaurant next to the pool is excellent, the breakfast tasty...I'll be back!
Oh, and not to forget I think it's very good value for money, spacious rooms, WiFi and breakfast included, for much less than what you would pay in a 'normal' hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in various ones, they were all fine but some tend to get less sunlight than others so...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My first trip back to this hotel for 3 years (usually stay at Protea or Kabira), and things seems to have slipped.My"suite" was more of a cave, no windows, just sliding doors, so no light and very dark - bad for me, good for the mosquitoes and other insects who happily devoured me. Fittings cheap and towels and linen horrible.
Please be warned, unlike every other hotel in Kampala where one or two bottles of water are provided gratis you are required to pay here. When i complained and tried to leave without paying the $8 i was ordered to pay by a very angry french owner and my driver (i promise) held at gunpoint. Incident has been reported of course, but either way probably not the best customer relations... needless to say, i wont be going back - and fellow travellers, i advise the same! Food is good though...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Le Bougainviller? Share your experiences!