My family and I recently stayed at Kabira Country Club during our trip to Uganda, and as it is a function venue for my wedding. Quoted cost for rooms is around 220 dollars and upwards. My family were booked in for 4 weeks, and spent in excess of 7500 dollars in total.
I can hardly find the words to express my disappointment at the level of service and professionalism found in this establishment. However I will try!
Problems we encountered included, but were not limited to:
- Thefts from our wedding function, all indications show that it was unidentified hotel staff who acquired two items of value. Requests from guests to have staff volunteer to be searched were refused. No further action was taken by the hotel.
- A bathroom door that wouldn't shut, problem reported on Day 1 of our stay, fixed on Day 12.
- A steam iron requested 4 hours before the wedding. Staff specifically informed that this was needed soon to allow preperation of wedding dress. Iron never arrived, despite further requests.
- Drinks were stopped half-way through the reception, despite the hotel having my credit card on file (and my authorisation to use it) the hotel refused the re-open the bar until payment was made in cash by the groom. Highly embarrasing as a host, and massive inconvenient for the groom on an important occasion. This policy was also contrary to the agreed arrangements made before the function.
- Rude bar staff.
- Food acceptable, but frequently very late and cold when it finally did arrive.
- No mosquito net provided in one bedroom. Hotel never provided a net, and at one point questioned why we were so fussy about requiring one so soon. Uganda has one of the highest incidences of malaria in the world.
- Hotel invited payment in local currency for a bill quoted in dollars. They didn't bother to inform us that the exchange rate they used differed from anywhere else (in their favour of course!). Management response when query was raised was to work out how 'little' difference it made. No answer was ever given as to why the 47 dollar difference should have been in their coffers rather than my pocket!
All in all very disappointing. There are a wide variety of alternative locations in Kampala. I would urge you to examine these other options and avoid Kabira Club.
Should you have any questions about this review, or simply wish to verify that this review is not the work of some devious competitor, please contact me. My name is David MacConnell, I am from Scotland, and my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org - I hope this review has been helpful!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Guest ,
Report response as inappropriate
Greetings of the day!!!
We appreciate your effort to highlight our points where we do need to work on in order to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay.
In reference to your mentioned concern kindly be rest assured we will be looking into the said points in a most optimistic way and considering them as the moments of truth and a point of improvisation.
Due to unforeseen circumstances we were not able to provide you with the level of service to which we pride ourselves upon, for which we certainly look forward to another opportunity to further our intent of giving you an astounding experience.
Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance
Ashvinder Singh Saini
Asst. General Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.