“Its like paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 58 hotels in Kampala
Toronto, Canada
“Its like paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I went to the Emin Pasha Hotel Spa for an end of the week break. I had a back massage, full use of the pool and a light lunch with a juice for 55,000 ugsh, which is about $30. US. It was well worth it. The only thing to watch out for is the hamburger, make sure it is well cooked!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
julian1234000
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We had our first two nights here in Kampala. The hotel answered all email enquiries before our visit quickly and efficiently. They did not require an advance deposit (which for all Uganda hotels had to be wired by bank transfer). The staff were kind, calm, efficient. Room was well equipped, spacious and clean. Only annoyance was the rolling piped music of Christmas carols from Kings Col, Cambridge UK, which we had hoped to avoid! Thoroughly recommend this excellent hotel

Room Tip: Garden suite
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

I had heard a lot about the hotel over the years and had been for lunch a few times, but only recently stayed there. I decided to spend a couple of nights here after a long stint working in the bush, in need of some r&r, and this was the perfect place.

The hotel has been laid out on different levels, and although I had the cheapest type of room, which was relatively small it was extremely comfortable and well laid out, with everything you could need.

The grounds are beautiful and they have created a tropical oasis is what is quite a dirty, noisy part of Kampala. A great escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. I have heard that the spa is also very good, but did not have time to try it out.

The restaurant is also very good - the food was delicious and beautifully presented and the staff always professional and efficient.

Is not as 'polished' as the Serena, but has alot more atmosphere and I had a very pleasant stay and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2011
Kampala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I hadn't really appreciated that it was possible to review restaurants on TA. So I hadn't thought about doing this until now. I was seated in the hotel lobby for the second time this week, soaking up the wonderful "old world" ambience, reflecting on our 25th wedding anniversary dinner last year..

We had a private room with terrace overlooking the garden, for 20 guests, and the adjoining lounge room. We had truly excellent service, a superb menu to my choice - adjusted by the chef - and I don't really think I could have found anywhere more intimate and special to celebrate something so important, with close friends and family.

So I have put this review here, rather than the Fez Brasserie link, because the event took place in the main hotel building.

I have 2 regrets about the Emin Pasha. 1. I want it transported to another place, where I take tea on a verandah and overlook the waterhole... and 2. It is only 10 minutes from home. So staying there is very difficult to justify.

It is definitely an oasis in the city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Juba, South Sudan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was expecting a little more attention to detail at this hotel. The setting of the hotel, with it's lovely garden, swimming pool and restaurant/bar was everything I expected, and I had some lovely lazy days relaxing. However, little things made the stay frustrating, particularly the difficulty with internet connection. Only in the bar could you get WiFi otherwise you could only have one computer connected through a cable in the bedroom. The hotel was not quiet, particularly in the mornings over the weekend, every morning we were woken early by the staff cleaning. The food was hit and miss in quality and taste, particularly breakfast and the service generally was not very intelligent. Not recommended I'm afraid, I'm sure there is better places in Kampala for the price.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011 via mobile

The Emin Pasha Hotel has everything you can expect from a first class hotel. The rooms are very nice and have a unique taste, every detail is taken care of. If you prefer a colonial style hotel with charm and love to the detail, this is the right address to stay. Service is very good and people do everything for a nice stay. The restaurant is exquisite and food is good, also if you are into good wine, the wine card fulfills every wish. After all a thumb up for a relaxed and beautiful stay in Kampala.
Cheers,
Alex K.

• Stayed October 2011
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

No hot water every morning of our stay, one night no turn down service which meant no clean towels, extremely slow service in the dining area (although we had ordered, had to miss breakfast our last day as our driver was there)... although the staff did seem to try, and were friendly.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Emin Pasha Hotel? Share your experiences!