“extremely friendly, great value and helpful” 5 of 5 stars

Tourist Hotel
Plot 9, Market St, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #41 of 58 hotels in Kampala
Geneva, Switzerland
“extremely friendly, great value and helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

we can only recommend Tourist Hotel and its very friendly and trustful staff to whoever wishes to spend some time in Kampala: nicely located in the real heart in the city with a stunning view on Nakasero Market, very friendly and helpful staff, clean and large rooms at a very affordable price. The Hotel doesn't look really good from the outside but has definitively lots to offer from the inside.

Dr Jean-Robert Ioset & family

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Ashvinder Singh S, Manager at Tourist Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a heart-warming compliment. We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms, as well as our array of services. We look forward to the pleasure of serving you in your next visit.

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

We had a really good experience at Tourist Hotel, while in Kampala in Dec 2010. The hotel is very centrally located, rooms are good-value, it is clean, free wifi in the restaurant and good food. However, best of all was the very friendly and helpful staff with Mr. Manoj being the perfect host.
/ Paula & Fredrik, Sweden.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Kampala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

I wanted to stay in the center of town, and was looking for a reasonable place, so I came to the tourist hotel. I found the staff very friendly and helpful, my room was cleaned every day, there is a restaurant with wifi, I ate good indian food there. In the night u might hear a bity from the road, but it is the center of town, and I could sleep well!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed at this motel for 1 night for a conference and shared it with a college, we paid about usd 30 for 2 pax and for usd 15 per night it was not a bad bet including breakfast.
a nice hotel say a 1 star at best but definitely requires refurbishment and renovation, got taken over by one the richest guys in Uganda - ruparelia, who also owns speke munyonyo where we had the conference ( amazing place ) - so don't know why that is a issue.
Overall good value for money and were well taken care of by the manager manoj

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

The place was clean, but not sparkling. There were roaches in some rooms, but that can be expected in an equatorial environment. The rooms were spartan, but had all that was necessary. The hot water was there, but took a while. The location was central in the city, which means that you can get anywhere, but you have to deal with the city centre issues. The staff was great, but the management was a bit brusque at times, but that may have been a cultural miscommunication. Theft is an issue, I lost a pair of sunglasses, but you are warned of that by the signs on the wall of the rooms and any valuables can be kept under lock and key at the front desk with no problems.
The only real issue I had was with payment. I STRONGLY recommend that you pay in cash at the end of your stay. I transferred the funds as they demanded to confirm my reservation and then spent the last two days of my stay fighting with them and and the banks trying to prove that I had paid. Either they were trying to scam me into paying double or the banking system is so screwed up that they don't have access to the funds that have been put in their accounts. Either is as possible as the other.
This is not a hotel for the first-time holiday maker. I would not recommend it for people who want to relax by the pool. It is a good base to go out from, but not the place for you if you are looking for a resort. If you are used to travelling in developing countries, then you should have no problem. Keep your head about you and you should be fine.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Greetings of the day!!!

We appreciate your effort to highlight our points where we do need to work on in order to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay.

Due to unforeseen circumstances we were not able to provide you with the level of service to which we pride ourselves upon, for which we certainly look forward to another opportunity to further our intent of giving you an astounding experience.

The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

The tourist hotel was dreadful - by far the worst place that I stayed at during my 3 months in Africa.

Although the location was convenient, in that it was located in central kampala, our room backed onto the central market, which was very noisy well into the early hours of the morning.

The staff at the desk told us that the hotel was the same price regardless of whether we paid on dollars or shillings (even though there was a large difference in price, so we ended up paying a lot more because we only had the local currency).

The room was filthy. There were footprints on my wall, and on my pillow slip! There were also many cockroaches and the toilet wouldn't flush solids.

The manager was rude. When he served us at the bar we ordered one glass of juice and he gave us a whole bottle (about 1 litre) and insisted that we pay him $10, even though we hadn't even ordered the whole bottle.

Additionally, I used the internet in the lobby - spent 15 minutes trying to get the google home page to load, and it would not load because the connection was so poor. When I left the computer I was spoken to agressively by staff. They demanded that I pay for 30 minutes use (they claimed that I used it for 16 minutes, and therefore could not be charged the 15 minute rate). I refused to pay, since the page never loaded and had to fight with them for about 5 minutes before they'd let me leave without paying them around $5 (the internet was expensive), despite the fact that the staff could clearly see from the desk that no page had ever been loaded.

Overall, I felt unwelcome, unsafe and unclean staying here. I had never left a hotel before the conclusion, but at tourist hotel I couldn't tolerate staying a 3rd night, so we left and instead camped out at a friend's house for our final night in uganda.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Kampala is an exciting city and the Tourist was a place you could stay on a low budget. I booked a room for 3 nights before my safari to QENP. On the final night I packed all my luggage ready to check out the next morning. On this final night I went down stairs to meet with the tour guide for final preparation of the trip. I left the room locked as you usually do. On my return after about 1hr came back to the room to find camcorder, camera #, mp3 players with the chargers and £200 (from patner's luggae) gone!!!!
It could have been anyone - they had builders next door. Cleaner's office was also nearby. We expected no body to come into our room at that time 7pm. Room had already been cleaned!

I would advice anybody staying here to keep there wits about them. Security is none existence in this hotel - thieves gaining access to a closed room is no security at all. I advice you pay a liitlle more for better security else where.

Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Ashvinder Singh S, Manager at Tourist Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012

Greetings of the day!!!

In reference to your mentioned concern kindly be rest assured we will be looking into the said points in a most optimistic way and considering them as the moments of truth and a point of improvisation. We have thoroughly investigated your mentioned complaint and all measures have been put in place to ensure no such issues ever arise in future.

Asst. General Manager

Been to Tourist Hotel? Share your experiences!