“Good for US$15 pp” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Kampala
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good for US$15 pp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed at this motel for 1 night for a conference and shared it with a college, we paid about usd 30 for 2 pax and for usd 15 per night it was not a bad bet including breakfast.
a nice hotel say a 1 star at best but definitely requires refurbishment and renovation, got taken over by one the richest guys in Uganda - ruparelia, who also owns speke munyonyo where we had the conference ( amazing place ) - so don't know why that is a issue.
Overall good value for money and were well taken care of by the manager manoj

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ashvinder Singh S, Manager at Tourist Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a heart-warming compliment. We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms, as well as our array of services. We look forward to the pleasure of serving you in your next visit.

Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

The place was clean, but not sparkling. There were roaches in some rooms, but that can be expected in an equatorial environment. The rooms were spartan, but had all that was necessary. The hot water was there, but took a while. The location was central in the city, which means that you can get anywhere, but you have to deal with the city centre issues. The staff was great, but the management was a bit brusque at times, but that may have been a cultural miscommunication. Theft is an issue, I lost a pair of sunglasses, but you are warned of that by the signs on the wall of the rooms and any valuables can be kept under lock and key at the front desk with no problems.
The only real issue I had was with payment. I STRONGLY recommend that you pay in cash at the end of your stay. I transferred the funds as they demanded to confirm my reservation and then spent the last two days of my stay fighting with them and and the banks trying to prove that I had paid. Either they were trying to scam me into paying double or the banking system is so screwed up that they don't have access to the funds that have been put in their accounts. Either is as possible as the other.
This is not a hotel for the first-time holiday maker. I would not recommend it for people who want to relax by the pool. It is a good base to go out from, but not the place for you if you are looking for a resort. If you are used to travelling in developing countries, then you should have no problem. Keep your head about you and you should be fine.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Greetings of the day!!!

We appreciate your effort to highlight our points where we do need to work on in order to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay.

Due to unforeseen circumstances we were not able to provide you with the level of service to which we pride ourselves upon, for which we certainly look forward to another opportunity to further our intent of giving you an astounding experience.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

The tourist hotel was dreadful - by far the worst place that I stayed at during my 3 months in Africa.

Although the location was convenient, in that it was located in central kampala, our room backed onto the central market, which was very noisy well into the early hours of the morning.

The staff at the desk told us that the hotel was the same price regardless of whether we paid on dollars or shillings (even though there was a large difference in price, so we ended up paying a lot more because we only had the local currency).

The room was filthy. There were footprints on my wall, and on my pillow slip! There were also many cockroaches and the toilet wouldn't flush solids.

The manager was rude. When he served us at the bar we ordered one glass of juice and he gave us a whole bottle (about 1 litre) and insisted that we pay him $10, even though we hadn't even ordered the whole bottle.

Additionally, I used the internet in the lobby - spent 15 minutes trying to get the google home page to load, and it would not load because the connection was so poor. When I left the computer I was spoken to agressively by staff. They demanded that I pay for 30 minutes use (they claimed that I used it for 16 minutes, and therefore could not be charged the 15 minute rate). I refused to pay, since the page never loaded and had to fight with them for about 5 minutes before they'd let me leave without paying them around $5 (the internet was expensive), despite the fact that the staff could clearly see from the desk that no page had ever been loaded.

Overall, I felt unwelcome, unsafe and unclean staying here. I had never left a hotel before the conclusion, but at tourist hotel I couldn't tolerate staying a 3rd night, so we left and instead camped out at a friend's house for our final night in uganda.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Kampala is an exciting city and the Tourist was a place you could stay on a low budget. I booked a room for 3 nights before my safari to QENP. On the final night I packed all my luggage ready to check out the next morning. On this final night I went down stairs to meet with the tour guide for final preparation of the trip. I left the room locked as you usually do. On my return after about 1hr came back to the room to find camcorder, camera #, mp3 players with the chargers and £200 (from patner's luggae) gone!!!!
It could have been anyone - they had builders next door. Cleaner's office was also nearby. We expected no body to come into our room at that time 7pm. Room had already been cleaned!

I would advice anybody staying here to keep there wits about them. Security is none existence in this hotel - thieves gaining access to a closed room is no security at all. I advice you pay a liitlle more for better security else where.

Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Ashvinder Singh S, Manager at Tourist Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012

Greetings of the day!!!

In reference to your mentioned concern kindly be rest assured we will be looking into the said points in a most optimistic way and considering them as the moments of truth and a point of improvisation. We have thoroughly investigated your mentioned complaint and all measures have been put in place to ensure no such issues ever arise in future.

Newcastle, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

This is a perfectly adequate place to stay in Kampala, staff are friendly and rooms are clean (a fan would have been nice for the price, my only quibble). Ask for a quiet room away from the market.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms, as well as our array of services. Also we assure that the said feedback will be taken in the most optimistic way and considering them as the moments of truth and a point of improvisation.

We look forward to the pleasure of serving you in your next visit.

East Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

If you're going to stay in Kampala and have a decent budget, you'll probably want to stay in one of the Imperial group hotels or at the Sheraton. But for travelers without a ton of cash, I'd recommend the Tourist without much hesitation. I stayed there for about 3 weeks in the summer of 2005, and, unless anything has changed there for the worse, I will probably stay there again on subsequent visits to Kampala.

The Tourist is cheap (if you have U.S. dollars, pay with those, because you'll get a cheaper rate), pretty clean, located in a decent area of downtown Kampala (right across the street from the busy Nakasero Market, pretty close to a good grocery store, and within walking distance to a number of Internet cafes), and has a decent restaurant. It has a bit of a dorm-like feel to it, but you're not paying for ambience when you're there.

I should note a number on downsides (and there are quite a few). It can tend to be a tad noisy some nights (particularly weekends), as people come and go from their rooms, and especially if you're in one of the rooms (as I was) with a window facing the bar/restaurant (rather than the street). (For a bar, it's pretty quiet, and the main noise usually came from the TV.) I might have been overly sensitive to sound because of jet lag, but it was a major annoyance. You don't get much in the way of amenities (twin bed, desk, wardrobe, private toilet/shower, phone, towel, TV--which gets three satellite channels). My swipe card often wouldn't work when I returned at the end of the day, which meant I would have to go to the front desk often to get it re-set. The web site promises Internet in the rooms, which unless they've changed something, is not accurate. You can connect from a computer in the lobby, but the fee was outrageous. There are enough decent Internet cafes nearby (even the business center at the Sheraton, if you want a bit faster of a connection, is cheaper). The staff is generally competent (although not openly friendly), but I had a sense that many of them were not too confident about their English.

As for the neighborhood, although it's in a busy part of Kampala and has close proximity to a lot of conveniences, I wouldn't recommend being out late at night, particularly alone. Not because the neighborhood is especially dangerous, but just as a normal precaution in a larger African city.

In sum, I'd recommend the Tourist for travelers on a budget who aren't looking for a place with a lot of amenities.

• Liked — Reasonable price, clean
  • Disliked — Tad noisy
  • Tips/Secrets — Pay in U.S. dollars (post-2000, of course) for cheaper rate
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

We look forward to the pleasure of serving you in your next visit.

El Obeid
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

I ended up at Tourist Hotel after several tries at other Hotels in Kampala that were already booked up. It was my first visit to Uganda and I fell in love with the country at first site. It was a great experience with the Staff very friendly & lovely. It was affordable and I was even there on my birthday. Yes, the room was a bit hot but I've been to worst places. By the way, I've travelled all over Africa and I know what I'm talking about.
If I ever get the oppurtunity to revisit Kampala, I'm sure I'll want to retry the Tourist Hotel and see it from another angle.
Keep it up chaps.
Jonathan E. Williams
Sudan

Stayed November 2006

Asst. General Manager

Been to Tourist Hotel? Share your experiences!