“Functional” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampala
Kampala Regency Hotel
Save Saved
You added Kampala Regency Hotel to your Saves list
Namirembe Road, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #46 of 62 Hotels in Kampala
New Jersey
“Functional”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

I was with a team of missionaries that went to Uganda for two weeks. My first trip to Uganda was a life changing experience for me, and I do plan to go back.

The hotel itself is very clean, although everything is quite dated. The marble floors throughout the property would be prettier if they were shinier. Every morning I would find a young lady mopping the stairs with a bucket and a towel used as a mop. I stayed in room 203 from February 16-February 27, and my room wasn't cleaned one day. On two occasions they failed to provide me with towels, which was fine with me because I wasn't using their towels to dry myself. They are somewhat worn out and stained. I used them as floor mats.

Taking a shower everyday was quite a challenge as there isn't a real shower in the wall. The shower is actually a hose wrapped around the faucet, and you try to wash your body while holding the hose to rinse yourself. The tub is quite high and very narrow. I'm over weight and was never able to take a bath because I didn't fit in the tub sitting down.

I had a king size bed that was as hard as rock, but I made do with it. The T.V. was useless, there was only like two or three channels, and didn't have a clear picture so I didn't really watch it(didn't have time anyway). The room had a very generous size armoire where I was able to store all of my toiletries and everything else. My room had a city view and it was a challenge trying to get a good night's sleep. On a particular Saturday, my air conditioner wasn't working and I had to sleep with the windows open. I wasn't able to sleep because at 3:30 a.m. the music from somewhere outside was still being played full blast, and by 6:00 a.m. the street below is busy with traffic, and people, it's very hard to sleep because it's extremely noisy.

I used their laundry service and although my shirts were returned to me laundered that same very day, trying to pay for them was impossible. I went down to the front desk to pay for the washed clothes 10,000 shillings, and I was never able to see the girl who I had to pay. I tried 4 times and was never able to see her, so I left Uganda without getting the opportunity to thank the young lady and pay her.

The food was the same day in and day out. I vowed myself I wouldn't eat another grain of white rice for a long, long time. Each day's menu was white rice, boiled potatoes, string beans, beef or chicken or fish and mashed green bananas. For breakfast they had either passion fruit juice, pineapple juice or orange juice, boiled eggs, omelettes, pork sausages (I stayed clearly stayed away from the sausages) bread, coffee, corn flakes, fresh pineapples and watermelon.

The employees were very, very friendly and polite, although I had a bit of a hard time trying to understand the young ladies who work there. They have very soft, low, low voices, and sometimes I would find myself literally putting my ear up against their mouths to hear what they were saying.

The hotel doesn't have any elevators and I really didn't look forward to going up to my room being that I was on the third floor even though my room was 203. The hotel has a balcony overlooking the street below and the slum right across the street. It was nice to sit and talk with my fellow missionaries and talk about the day's activities. Sometimes we would just sit on the front stoops of the hotel. I miss that a lot.

Giving the nature of this trip, my stay at the hotel was comfortable. Although it lacks a lot of amenities found in other hotels, we weren't staying there for the holidays, we were out and about from early morning until evening doing missionary work. All we needed was a clean, functional room to shower and sleep in. I'm not a picky or difficult hotel guest and I really have no complaints, only that the energy goes out a lot, and my air conditioner would be kicked out of whack everytime the energy was out.

I will return.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Couples
Solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

My wife and myself found the Regency Staff the most helpful staff we have come across in a hotel. Under the guidance of Mark (Mbabazi) we found that every one tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. Power cuts in Uganda created a major problem for us as we were in a team of mission workers on a building site. This meant that washing of our clothes became a tedious task for the workers. We found all the staff overcame the power problems and still were able to service our needs comfortably. Food was a great plus as it was so plentiful and varied. The hotel itself was always kept clean and tidy.

• Liked — The staff and the food
  • Disliked — hard bed
  • Tips/Secrets — take a torch
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

In October I visited Kampala. I stayed at Kampala Regency Hotel. The staff was very helpful. Especially a young man named Andrew! There was a good selection of food for breakfast and dinner. There are 3 internet cafes directly below the hotel. The hotel gave a great view of Kampala. The rooms were nice and the housekeeping was wonderful. This is a great hotel to stay at during your trip to Africa.

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business

Been to Kampala Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!