“Too expensive for what you get” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #158 of 196 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Chinese
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Too expensive for what you get”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

I visited the place yesterday and could not have been more disappointed. It started with overall confusion of the waitresses who did not expect any customer for lunch, apparently. It took 10 minutes for them to find a seat, even though there was not a single other person there at this time. Then, they served pineapple juice "fresh" only for us to find aluminium packaging at the bottom of the glass -> instantly qualified for a 1 star rating. It continued with overpriced food - all items on the menu have been increased in price (one can see it by the stickers put on top of the old prices). One good thing was the amount of food you get. If you like what you order, you wont leave hungry. But - the service is really low. Even a rollex or meat stick vendor on the street can offer better customer care.

• Visited September 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bishops Tachbrook, United Kingdom
“Looking for an average Chinese Restaurant in Kampala”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

I had an average 2 course meal for around the equivalent of £17. The food was average and the waiting staff very slow. The restaurant is part of a hotel complex but lacked atmosphere. I tried to pay by Visa and was told I would be charged an additional 5%, I asked to by visa and my card was declined for no apparent reason so I still ended up having to pay in cash. Would not use the restaurant again.

• Visited September 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nairobi, Kenya
“Superb and Authentic Chinese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Was in Kampala for 4 nights and had lunch here on the first day..... it was so good, we came back again on our final night and it was just as good!!

The service was very fast on both visits - in fact almost too fast. The mains came when he were not even done with the starters......

You can always tell how authentic a chinese restaurant is by how many chinese customers they have. This restaurant was 70% chinese diners which gave me a lot of good vibes.

The size of the portions are large and food served in delightful serving dishes. Dishes I would definitely recommend:

Chicken won ton soup - excellent considering you are in Kampala.

Whole fish off the bone - They de-bone a whole, fresh tilapia from Lake Victoria and prepare it the way you like: anyway from fried sweet & sour to steamed with light ginger sauce. So so fresh and beautifully prepared and presented.

Pork chop - well cooked to a crispy outer and tender inner with delicate marination

The prices are surprisingly reasonable.

When I'm back in Kampala, Nanjing will definitely be getting another visit from me.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wien
“bad service and tasteless food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We have had dinner two weeks ago in Nanjing Restaurant in Kampala, and we were extreme disappointed. The food was really worse, too much Glutamat, artificial flavor, sugar and preservative agent. You can't taste the difference between the ingredients. Our stomach was aching the whole night. I was close to a food poisoning. We ve ordered pork, but I have the suspicion it was the meat of another animal, one that I ve not eaten before.

Even the service is bad, you don't get what you see in the menu! And the prices are incredible high for the poor quality. If you like Asian food, try to avoid this place!

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kampala, Uganda
“How much time do you have?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I do not recommend this restaurant the service was really poor and we did not get half our food, which included the rice, a staple to most Chinese dished.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere