“Definitely worth a visit!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 182 restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: African, European, Café
Description: Pop Up Cafe is a small social project based cafe in Ntinda area of Kampala. In our small garden you can enjoy our self-roasted coffee and delicious meals. WiFi and Craftshop are also available. By enjoying our services you foster the employment of persons with special needs in Uganda as majority of our staff are special needs. NB! Pop Up Cafe is currently relocating! You will not find us on our old address, the new address will be revealed soon.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Definitely worth a visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Pop Up offers delicious coffee, nice food, free WiFi, great service and a wonderful quiet hang-out. Oh how I love to work here with my laptop, a good cup of coffee and nice music. Not only that but it is also for a good cause; helping out the less able people in Uganda! A great cause within a wonderful concept, you gotta just love this place!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Kampala, Uganda
“Fun place with a great cause”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Pop Up is a great social enterprise that hires disabled persons in Kampala. In addition to tasty food and delicious and refreshing iced coffee, they have weekly events with great entertainment. When I first patronized Pop Up I saw the Mizizi Ensemble perform, which was a great event in which the ensemble gave music and dancing lessons to students from a school for disabled persons. The second time I went, I became lost as I tried to walk to it after a meeting in the area, but when I found it, the experience was like finding an oasis in a desert. I ate a delicious wrap and the iced coffee was a godsend after wandering around in the hot afternoon sun. I've also attended a reggae night event which was really chill with lots of cool people hanging around. Definitely check this place out for a good time, good food, good people, and a great cause.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
“Great place with a great goal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've visited PopUp several times when I was Kampala and I really, really like this place. For me it was one of the highlights of the trip! The people are very nice and the food is delicious (Tilapia Fish is my favourite)!

I will visit PopUp again as soon as I am back in Kampala!

Keep up the good work!

Take care,

Jasper

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kampala, Uganda
“Great cause, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Was in the neighborhood and after seeing the excellent reviews decided to stop by PopUp for a snack and to pick up some Brood bread. Learned about a different kind of restaurant with a great cause. Do come here to support a good cause, or for a decent cup of coffee or to relax with a book or to surf the internet.

Do not come here, however, if expecting top-rated international cuisine in Kampala, as the ratings would suggest. The menu is actually relatively limited, and the food is average by Kampala standards. Coffee was good but nothing special in my opinion. There was no sign of Brood bread, despite the sign, and we were informed that the "program had changed". The environment was quiet, but with a small outdoor courtyard and limited indoor seating. My hunch is that previous high reviews come from those directly connected to the restaurant/organization that are trying to promote it (all previous reviews are first contributions).

I want to stress that this review is an honest assessment of PopUp as a restaurant, and I do not intend to take away from it's excellent mission. I enthusiastically recommend visiting the restaurant to support a great cause, just don't expect a top 10 restaurant in the process.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
AliinePopUp, Manager at PopUp, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Joshua,

Thank you for your very honest review. We appreciate your criticism highly and are very happy to see in which direction we can develop and improve our little cafeteria.

As a new freshly starting manager of Pop Up, I will personally make sure that we improve the aspects that you have drawn our attention to. Hopefully we will see you around in Pop Up many more times and in the future your experiences will be better.

All the best,
Aliine
Tallinn, Estonia
“Great atmosphere and delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you have a couple of hours time and energy to look up the cafe PopUp, situated in Kampala suburb, 20 minutes from city centre by matatu/boda, you will not get disappointed. My experience tells that it is a on of best places in town with peaceful location, relexed athmosphere, nice people, cozy interior, really delicious food and tasty coffee. If you want, you can support - by buying their crafts - local young people with special needs, who work there. If you are planning to visit PopUp (what is a good idea) in the evening, do it earlier, because they close doors about 9-10 pm. Also, it was the first place I visited in Uganda where was a working WiFi :)

• Visited December 2012