“Rather mediocre food and bad service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 196 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Thai, Tea Room
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Email for this restaurant is tamaraithai@gmail.com
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Rather mediocre food and bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We went to Tamarai with local staff and two representatives from corporate in Germany. After lunch we all concluded that it was one of the worst business lunches we ever head.
Meals arrived with huge gaps inbetween the persons so that some were eating 10 minutes before the last one got his plate.
In addition to that, knifes and plates/ pots got mixed up, glasses were missing for some of us and the food could not cover these flaws up.

I do not recommend.

Voronezh, Russia
“Tom ka kai & mojito”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

When I come here I order only Tom ka kai. It's the best soup I ever had. It's really difficult to find good mojito in Kampala (mojito at all frankly speaking), but it's the right place for it.
Nice entourage.

Visited November 2013
Kampala, Uganda
“"We messed up everything"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This review is not going to be nice... unfortunately. I invited 8 friends to have dinner at Tamarai to celebrate.

We arrived and were allocated a nice table, which I had reserved. We ordered drinks and starters and food. Then we waited. And waited. And waited more. After 45min. some drinks arrived. My beer took 1h to get to me. Starters came in shifts, some never came. The waiters messed up the orders, we wanted to 2 bottles of white wine but were served 1 bottle and 6 glasses of wine instead. This was the moment when I went to the waiter and told him that starters did not come. He informed me that the chef said the starters were not prepared in time, so they will bring it with the main dish. In order to avoid more waiting time I did not insist on the starters to come before the main meal.

When the main meals came, no chopsticks were there, we had ordered them long before (they eventually brought some). The dishes trickled in as if the chef had only one stove to cook. Eventually we were all served... wait, one friend still did not get food, only rice. We asked the waiter what happened to his dish. He was oblivious of the order and disappeared. Nothing happened for the next 10min. This time I went to see the manager. He said he was sorry and promised to look for the missing dish. After 15min the meal arrived, everyone else had almost finished. It was a disaster. The taste of the food did not matter to me at all anymore as everyone was so upset with the evening and service.

As I went to the bathroom, the manager approached me and repeated how sorry he was and explained that they had been overwhelmed by so many guests and that the chef was alone in the kitchen and that the waiters were too few. That apparently was our problem. He asked me (!) what he should do now. I told him that he should take off the late meal from the bill and offer some compensatory drinks/desserts, which he subsequently did. He also came to our table and apologised to everyone ("I want to apologise, we messed up everything"), which consoled us a bit. At least one person had the guts to take responsibility for this disturbing experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kampala, Uganda
“Amazing Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had an amazing evening there. The food is just amazing. The portions are filling and worth the money you pay for. Service was excellent. The ambiance is great. I would go there again. I love Thai food.

Eisenberg
“Not what i expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

first of all I expected more from the Place, although the Staff was very friendly and well trained, Food was OK but the Price Value relation drifted too far appart in my oppinion but that is just mine.
The Place is Nice and Clean so go and try your self.

Visited May 2013