“Africa Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 64 Hotels in Kampala
London, United Kingdom
“Africa Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was my first visit to this hotel, stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is clean and the staff are friendly. I got upgraded to the club room with access to the club lounge and club business facilities, which I used, the staff at the club lounge were very good and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the room had all the accessories you have in a 5 star hotel. Breakfast was with a good variety of plates, which you can choose from including the Indian options. I used the gym which was well maintained and looked after. The internet connection was very good which was a must for me and had a good connection all over the hotel. The hotel is centered in Kampala, which gives you good access to everything. One has to be careful about their belongings in the room, my silver cufflinks with black pearls were stolen so be careful about your belongings.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Tendo L, Public Relations Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear valued guest,

As the Kenyans say, "Karibuni"! I trust that your visit to African and in particular Uganda "The Pearl of Africa" was a great adventure!

We look forward to hosting you again on your next return.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was my first visit to the hotel. Stayed for 3 nights. The hotel is clean and the staff are friendly. I got the executive room which was large. The bed was comfortable and the room had all the accessories you have in a 5 star hotel. Breakfast was with a good variety of plates, which you can choose from. The service was good. I also had an access to the club lounge which I think was a good value for the money. Didn't use the gym or pool but they look very nice and tempting.
The hotel is centered in Kampala, which gives you good access to everything. I certainly will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your positive review of the Sheraton Kampala. We are glad you appreciated all we had to offer and perhaps next time you will get a chance to take a dip on the pool.

Best regards,
sao paolo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I actually like this hotel.

It has its flaws but I think it's good. The staff are nice, the food is fine and the pool and views and garden are pleasant. Plus, you can meet the boss at one of his weekly cocktails which is nice. He's from England and he looks like Max Clifford! You can't miss him.....

What are the flaws? Well it's probably very expensive and it takes an age to get through security. The bathrooms could be a bit flasher but the water is hot and good pressure too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the side of the nearby nightclub.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay at the Sheraton Kampala and that yours was a generally positive one. As you noted there are several security measures but these are in place to ensure the safety of all our guests given the current security related issues in the region.

Thank you for your review and we hope you will be returning soon.

Warm regards,
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Hotel is well located in the city center. Has an excellent fitness center, decent internet and television service. The food service is very good in the outside patio. The breakfast is only average. Very comfortable, very friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tendo L, Public Relations Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

As I get ready to end my stay here, it's a pity that I did not have more time during my stay to experience some of the other services that the hotel offers. The room was comfortable and clean. The airport shuttle service was efficient and we did not have to wait around the airport. Even through we arrived in the middle of the night check in was swift and welcoming. When I got sick, the hotel nurse Liz was prompt to respond, and I was treated and provided with appropriate drugs and she followed up on my progress for the rest of my stay. The staff in General, from the handy man I bumped into to the housekeeping staff and the staff in the restaurant are generally friendly and helpful. The team at reception especially Richard, Anthony and Alex, as well as. Brain on the switch board, we friendly helpful and promptly responded to any requests that I had. If there is one recommendation I would give the hotel is at some point to upgrade the bathrooms on the Superior floor, otherwise they were clean with enough hot water.

I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon so you may enjoy everything the Hotel and Kampala City has to offer.

South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

One stays here because most everything works most all of the time. If you are not fortunate enough to be upgraded the rooms are pretty dated. The wifi and breakfast buffet may be the best thing this Sheraton has to offer. Check-in is ridiculously slow. Considering they know you are coming, and that all the incoming flights arrive late evening one would think they would be prepared. Long wait at check-in: after long flights and long drive from Entebbe the last thing I need was a long wait and laborious check-in. For the price there are other options in Kampala.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, no, beg for a renovated room!
Odawara, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here for business after having to abandon the Speke resort (due to no Internet), since my colleages had stayed here before and said "things basically work".

That was ultimately my impression - on the whole, this hotel was adequate for what we needed: decent breakfast buffet; hot water and functional though very old and small bathrooms; functional wifi Internet.

Meals in the outside restaurant felt safe but boring. Swimming pool was refreshing but very busy on the weekend (mainly with young families). Very cheap drinks by the pool though.

Security was quite variable, I think there must have been some VIP in residence when we first arrived as security was super tight. On later days though, security was noticeably less strict, to the point of feeling a bit sloppy at least compared to Serena where we had stayed before Hilton.

Strange arrangement with paying for the room too. When checking in, they could only tell us the weekend price, and couldn't say how much it would cost to stay from the following Monday, so we paid in advance for the weekend, and had to come back and pay again on Monday, and once more mid-week after that.

Front desk staff sometimes very slow, and while normally I would only have to deal with front-desk for check-in and perhaps check-out, here there were at least 6 interactions due to the strange need to pay every few days, and card keys failing to work several times.

There's a reasonable chance we will stay here again, simply because there isn't much to choose from in the middle ground of reasonably safe, functional hotels in Kampala. Overall, not impressive for a Sheraton or SPG property and Serena Hotel is miles ahead for me in every area except price. But if you're looking for a business hotel and can't justify the cost of Serena, Sheraton does "basically work".

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tendo L, Public Relations Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short.

Some of the bathrooms have not been completely renovated though this is currently one of the key development projects being undertaken by the Management.

Regarding the menu options we have brought in a new Executive Chef whose key responsibilities will include revamping some of the current menus, we also opened a new Seafood & Steak Restaurant with different variety to the Paradise Menu.

Sheraton Kampala is among the top Hotels in Uganda and we will continuously work to achieve our mission of being the most recognised personalized hospitality provider in the region.

Been to Kampala Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!