“Hotel of Choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Kampala
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Hotel of Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Sheraton Kampala is surely the best place to stay in Kampala, offering excellent value for money, security, top class rooms and the most friendly staff. The breakfast spread is among the best I've experienced, while the outdoor dinner with live music is enough to fix even the most stressful day. I am a regular business traveller to this country and Sheraton Kampala is always my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 6th floor are generally my preference.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having read some of the other reviews on this hotel I was feeling some trepidation about staying here. However the client had placed us here so this is where we had to stay. I have to say I enjoyed my stay here. The room was comfortable though the bathroom was old-fashioned and not to a four star standard: however it was still clean and had everything I needed. The service in the hotel was excellent throughout my stay and room service was efficient as was the daily cleaning of it.

It is worth saying that I made sure I had a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the outside bar with its bands playing at night. However it is worth pointing out that, apart from Saturday, the music stops by 10.00pm -ish so I'm guessing that the problem about loud music late at night referred to by some other reviewers might not be a big problem unless you go to bed before that time. We actually enjoyed a number of the bands that played through the week we were staying. It is pleasant after a day's work to sit outside in the cooler air and enjoy a drink and some music.

The swimming pool was clean and the poolside service was good. I found all the staff I encountered to be friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was what I would call standard African buffet - some of it was good other dishes I wouldn't choose to have. The outside bar also serves food and I enjoyed that far more.

Security is at a high level coming in and out of the hotel - which is reassuring even if it takes longer to drive in if you are in a car. We tended to walk to and from work each day as well as at the weekends round the immediate environs of the hotel and we felt safe, we never encountered any problems on the street or in the markets. The people of Kampala are friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: My room was on the opposite side of the hotel to the bar and outside restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is an extract from a trip report for MFNP, Kibale Forest and QENP I posted in post 85 of Trip Reports ( Uganda tab, Travel Forum, Trip Reports) .

In Kampala the Sheraton is a great hotel if you're able to use SPG cash and points or awards, and suite upgrades seemed readily available. The free breakfast was great. I am platinum (top level in their status / awards program) which makes a difference. Several good bars with music and restaurants are nearby as well as in the hotel. Felt quite safe walking around. The hotel has a park around it and you can walk through this to get to outside bars / restaurants. The ATM in the hotel did not work for my Canadian card, but a nearby Barclays did. There's also Barclays at the airport.

A hotel taxi to the airport is 60 US.

In Kampala there are apparently local music, dance and cultural presentations but I was told they tend to happen more on Friday nights and weekends so I missed them. This would be worth checking out in more detail. There are also markets to see and a few other things but I mainly just relaxed at the Sheraton and wandered around a bit feeling quite safe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was not impressed with this hotel. The rooms are average and the service was poor. Thank goodness I only had to stay there one evening. It was a rest stop between my Ngambe Island overnight stay and traveling to Kibale Forest. I asked for an early morning wake-up call and it did not happen. Thank god i did not have a plane to catch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Shah Alam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was there on a business trip and had some business meetings in the hotel itself. I was part of a delegation and all arrangements have been pre-arranged, hence no problems faced during check ins. Security was a bit tight at the main gate and also at the entrance. The speed hump was really high - if you are sitting at the rear of a minibus, be prepared for the jolt.

The hotel is a bit dated, but it is clean, The lobby seems a bit jaded since some of the shops are at the side and facing the lobby. For some reason, it look a bit cramped, although the lobby is actually huge - may be due to the shops, lighting and the seating area in front of the front desk. The meeting rooms that we had was nice, with access to a small garden with plenty of benches to unwind.

As for the room, go for the 11th floor. Although 11th floor is for the Starwood Preferred Guest, for some reason, it is cheaper than the standard room. The room is pretty decent with nice deco and good carpet. Wifi us available for free. Some satellite channels on the TV are adequate for me. There is also a small balcony. The toilet comes with the standing shower area ... with rain shower. I was told by some of my friends that their bathroom had a bathtub, but for me, there is no bathtub.

The bar on the ground floor is a nice place to hang out ... next to the bar is the open eating area with some 2-3 stalls selling roast chicken, pizza etc. There is a life band as well to entertain the guests.

The restaurant served decent buffet spread for breakfast and dinner. You can choose to sit indoors or outside on the terrace, overlooking some well grown trees within the hotel compound.The buffet spread ranges from bread, pastries, fruits, salads, cold cuts, hot dishes, juices etc. One thing which was outstanding was the frying station - not only do they have eggs for frying in the morning, they also served meat and beef pattie for breakfast. For dinner, they have fish, chicken and vegetables for stir fry.

One thing which amazes me was the hotel compound with mature trees and garden. Very seldom you will get a hotel with such a huge compound located in the middle of the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Last 2 nights in Kampala my GF and I wanted something a little nicer, so we stayed here. I checked the price on hotels.com before walking in and it was $250/night. Walked into the hotel and they told me $350/night. I asked if they could match the rate on hotels.com and they said no. So I booked it on hotels.com on my iPad, then walked back to the front counter. They said it wasn't in their system yet, I may need to wait a couple hours. (are you kidding???) Then I showed the front counter the reservation number and the booking # and all that on my iPad. They took that info, got on the phone with Hotels.com and said they had my booking and would check me in. They took 45mins to check me in. I honestly think it took them so long out of spite. I was furious.

To be treated disdainfully by the attendant at the front counter was just bizarre to me and completely uncalled for.

Rooms turned out to be really nice. Next day I went to get breakfast. I was stopped and told I couldn't enter with my sandals and shorts on.

I started to get the picture. My girlfriend and I weren't there on business, and every other person was a businessman.

The whole hotel had no character. It was like a Sheraton out of the USA. The place was designed for businessmen and is not family friendly or a place to relax. Unless youre wearing a suit you're going to feel out of place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

In Kampala for a business trip and just had the most terrible experience at the fitness centre. The hotel has a leaflet in the room promoting massages citing them as a must-try! So i booked for an aromatherapy and was told to go to the fitness centre in 20mins. When i got there, one of the hotel staff asked me to sign for my bill before i go for the massage and he then issued a bill for a swedish massage. When i told him i wanted an aromatherapy, he told me that they do not have the oils and that i should have asked before he issued the bill!!! I told him that if this is the case then i no longer want the massage. He told me that this is not possible n i can go to the massage room and he will ask the therapist to "squeeze the oils left". I explained to him
that he can just cancel the massage. He told this does not work for him n i should proceed to the massage room! At this point i just left.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Kampala Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!