“A decent and safe hotel but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Kampala Sheraton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ternan Avenue | P. O. Box 7041, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #16 of 58 hotels in Kampala
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A decent and safe hotel but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is the standard chain hotel experience in Africa. The hotel was once the nicest location in Kampala has since deteriorated. The grounds and facilities are quite dated and it's obvious there's been years of wear and tear that hasn't been addressed. The rooms are adequate - clean with new sheets and mattresses and good sound proofing which made for a good nights rest. The real let down was the food. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and well stocked with a range of local ingredients and standard euro-fare breakfast items. Dinner was another matter entirely. Be care what you order on the menu as some items are just not worth it. The tandoori chick was lovely with nice spices but severely undercooked. Pizzas are a good size and quite tasty given the imported cheese. But stay clear of the deserts! Each one is just plain awful. Cakes were too dry and the cheesecake tasted like it was made from a package. Service is okay-sih and during peak hours can be very slow. All of these factors make the stay just an average business trip experience. If come back to Kampala I will certainly look for one of the smaller more personalized hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tom v, Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guests,

we appreciate your feedback!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our new sheets and mattresses which gave you a good night's sleep.

Breakfast is complimented often and we take great pride in offering the best breakfast buffet in East Africa.

Your issues with regards to your dinner experience have been forwarded to the responsible departments and they are working hard to improve on the mentioned issues.

Kindly stay with us on your next visit and we are sure you will be impressed with our restauarnt offerings.

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Sheraton isn't what I would expect from a normal Sheraton, but I'm wondering if that is because it is in Uganda...after some of the other places I stayed in Uganda, it was definitely a nice respite.

The property itself is older and definitely needs updating. The rooms and the general areas are a bit rundown with stains and paint peeling in some areas The service is extremely slow. One evening, it took more than 30 minutes for an iced tea at the bar. When I cancelled my order, the bartender seemed shock. The rest of the staff rarely smiles and actually seem bothered when you ask them to do something for you.

This hotel definitely caters to the business traveler. With regards to laundry, the prices were outrageous - 30,000 Uganda shilling for a pair of pants! The food is actually pretty good, albeit somewhat expensive. One night, I returned to my room to find no water or towels. I'm not sure what the housekeeper was thinking - how was I going to shower? Also, the concierge recommended a $30 USD taxi to take me to the supermarket and back, when I took a boda boda (motorcycle taxi) from right outside and paid only $0.80 (yes, 80 cents) for the same ride.

Upside to the hotel is that it is in a fairly central location. It is close to the shopping, markets, main roads, etc. I was able to walk many places. It definitely feels safe and it have air conditioning, television, and a safe in the room. It has many facilities on property, including a foreign exchange bureau, shop that sells electronics including mobile phones, minutes and sim cards (including sim card registration), travel agency, florist, and photo printer. It also has a nice Club Lounge where you can get free drinks, snacks, and very fast high speed internet (they even have 2 all-in-one computers for guest use).

If I came back to Kampala, I would probably stay here again but primarily because I am an SPG Platinum member. If I didn't get a free upgrade, I would like try another place next time.

Room Tip: Get a room in the older wing (rooms 10 - 28, for example on the 11th floor, ask for rooms 1110 - 112...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, the location and it's facilities. The whole team here at sheraton works hard to take care of our guests, especially if they are platinum members of our SPG programm.

Your issue with delayed service in the restaurant has been addressed to the responsible department head and we will make sure that on your next visit the service will be friendly and fast.

We do have a dedicated transport office with published fixed prices for all needs; kindly have a look at their office next time you visit us.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Hi, this is the second time to say something about this hotel. I joined hotel's mileage member and hey, this time, I could stay club floor! The top 4 floor is reserved for frequent visitor and those floors are much nicer than regular floors! So, if you stay here, I recommend you to join thier mileage! It is a BIG difference. I also happend to use the business centre during last saty, but the facility was too slow (PC/Scan) and it makes me tired. Also, this is another characteristic of almost every African country, the front did not give me a small change! They say, we are so sorry but do not have enough change! Ha!???? May be hotel manager needs to train their staffs a bit more decent and think about customer service????

Room Tip: Join the mileage of Sheraton! Anyway, sometimes, mileage club gives you extra. So please join before...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

we appreciate your positive feedback about your stay and the benefits you received through our SPG program. Yes indeed, it is highly recommended to join the program as it is free to join and benefits are many.

Your comment about change not being available at front office has been forwarded to the responsible department head who will solve this issue and make sure change is available in all bars, restaurants and at our front desk.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hotel is not fit for the Sheraton name. When I checked in, the pillowcase had a large yellow stain and the felt accent comforter (?) had a white, crusty stain on it. The housekeeping staff was kind enough to come and remove them. The paper under the glasses in the bathroom had dried toothpaste on them from the last guest. There was no hairdryer in the room so in the morning, as I was getting ready for meetings I had to call the front desk and request a hairdryer and wait 20 minutes for one to be brought up by which time I had to leave. As a woman with long hair it is an inconvenience to go to a business meeting in a suit with my hair dripping wet.

The bathrooms in the rooms desperately need to be remodeled. I have stayed in this hotel three times and the tiles in the bathrooms are cracked and stained and the ceilings are covered in what looks like vinyl siding for houses.

The gym needs new equipment. The touch screens for the treadmills do not work and the bikes do not have straps for the pedals and the AC is never on so it is unbearably hot. And DO NOT store anything in the locker room because it is overrun with roaches. I went in one morning and it was like a baby roach convention in the women's locker room.

Whatever you do, if you MUST stay at this hotel do not get a massage. I have had massages from Delhi to Dushanbe and I have NEVER asked someone to stop because the massage was so bad. At the Sheraton in Kampala this was the case. The massage table is just a regular table with towels on it--no face hole--and the woman massaging must have been on the Ugandan wrestling team. I asked her to stop after 15 minutes but was charged the full hour. It was brutal and not relaxing in the least.

If you stay on the side of the hotel facing the bar expect no sleep. Even when the music stops expect to hear women screaming until 5am.

Bottom line, when in Kampala stay at the Serena!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, all are flithy.
Dear Gina,

we have received your feedback and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are sorry to read that we did live up to your expectations and have investigated your issues thoroughly. We have a system in place that fumigates all area's of the hotel regulary.

The mentioned maintenance and housekeeping issues have been addressed and I will personally follow up to make sure that they are all resolved.

Unfortunately, we could not find any record of a complaint addressed to us during your stay hence we cannot contact you directly, but feel free to contact me personally should you wish to do so.

Sheraton Kampala
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

There are few Green patches that are in left in today's Kampala, and Sheraton hotel happens to be in the middle of one of them. in fact it seems the management of the hotel have taken it up as a task to keep this green belt around the hotel, giving one a breath taking view from the breakfast table in Victoria restaurant. It seems since the change of Hotel management 2 yrs ago, the hotel is steadily moving on its way up to assume its good days. It seems we were not the only ones who noticed that, I met a couple of world famous stars in the hotel, it was amazing to see them so close up and personal.

Room Tip: Higher floors give you a breathtaking view of Kampala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

The main fault with the hotel is how long you have to wait for service. It took 20minutes to be even offered a menu and it was an hour after sitting down that I finally had my food. The managers seem to be trying to expedite the service somewhat so things may improve.

Everything else about the hotel is fine

• Stayed November 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Was pleasantly surprised by the standard at the Sheraton, albeit I stayed in a suite which was beautiful with all amenities available. Thumbs up for the shower cabins! The club floor facilities are excellent and staff very friendly. The best part was the terrace restaurant and bar which was perfect for business meetings and casual dining. Even if the prices are upmarket, it is still very good value for money. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Club floor suites are really nice, worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Kampala Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!