“Hotel is fine but service is slow” 3 of 5 stars

You added Kampala Sheraton Hotel to your Saves list
Kampala Sheraton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ternan Avenue | P. O. Box 7041, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #20 of 64 Hotels in Kampala
“Hotel is fine but service is slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

The main fault with the hotel is how long you have to wait for service. It took 20minutes to be even offered a menu and it was an hour after sitting down that I finally had my food. The managers seem to be trying to expedite the service somewhat so things may improve.

Everything else about the hotel is fine

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Arabic first
Aalborg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Was pleasantly surprised by the standard at the Sheraton, albeit I stayed in a suite which was beautiful with all amenities available. Thumbs up for the shower cabins! The club floor facilities are excellent and staff very friendly. The best part was the terrace restaurant and bar which was perfect for business meetings and casual dining. Even if the prices are upmarket, it is still very good value for money. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Club floor suites are really nice, worth the extra money.
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This has to be one of my favorite hotels anywhere because the staff are so incredibly friendly. I have always enjoyed a nice room and there is a good gym.

Downsides; The lifts are sometimes worryingly erratic and although security presence is high they don't really seem to know what they are doing, particularly at the main entrance.

pretoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I spent 4 days here on business. Staff are helpful and pleasant, food is good, gym is good although crowded and small with no apparent aircon. Rooms and the hotel overall are dated. Most reviews mention this and I do wish the hotel would invest in rising again to its former glory that Ugandans speak about. Wifi problems were sorted out although it took 2 hours to do so the first night! What I appreciated was that there was someone there who could assist even late at night. Room service meant a good pasta although microwave evidence was clear in the patches of cold pasta. Breakfasts and dinners (we didn't lunch there) were excellent. A tip on the wifi - don't have separate codes for different places in the hotel - it's a pain to be trying to work at breakfast only to be given another code to access wifi. All in all a comfortable stay though I think a little pricey for what it offers.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Kampala Sheraton Hotel in 2008 and came away less than impressed so I was a bit skeptical when I was informed a client had booked me in this hotel. I did some research and found out the hotel had been renovated a few years ago so I grudgingly agreed to stay there. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the lobby and noticed a complete change of decor as well as a change in the attitude of the staff. Check in was smooth and the front desk staff was competent and willing to assist with minor problems.

Even though I was given a key when I entered my room it was obviously not made up from the night before. These things happen from time to time so I was not overly concerned or perturbed. I was given a replacement room on the Club Floor and everything seemed fine until I turned on the air-conditioner. After an hour a leak developed so I had to change my room again. Luckily the front desk staff found a room next door so the leaking AC was not too much of an inconvenience.

Apart from the room issues the rest of my stay was efficient and unremarkable. Breakfast in the Victoria restaurant was pretty good and meals in the Equator Bar were excellent.

The young lady managing the business center was very efficient and I had clear, blemish-free copies promptly.

I had a minor accounting issue during check-out but the front desk staff resolved the issue in an efficient manner. I need to acknowledge one particular staff member. Lilly at the front desk was extraordinary in her willingness to please. She always had a smile on her face and resolved all issues without delay.

If this hotel was in New York, Tokyo or London I would have given it three stars but for central Africa I give it four stars as maintaining this level of service in this region is challenging for any company.

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I've stayed at the Kampala Sheraton before and have always been relatively impressed. The service is great with helpful staff and there are a variety of places within the hotel to eat and drink. The location is also good and one can walk to meetings in the centre of town. The only blip on the radar on this trip was when I was shown into a room with two single beds when I had booked and paid for a room with a king size bed. After raising this issue, my room was changed. The rooms themselves are functional if a little dated, and the bathrooms could certainly do with an upgrade. Breakfasts are excellent and one can sit either inside or outside and enjoy a comprehensive spread. Altogether a very good option for travellers to Kampala.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TomvanTuijl, Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

thanks for your positive comment and good to hear that you are impressed with our hotel.
We hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel.

Regards,

Tom van Tuijl
Sheraton Kampala Hotel
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Sheraton is an ideal place to stay in Kampala if you are on business. The rooms are a little dated, but are clean and provide plenty of space. The bathrooms really need to be updated to modern standards.

The service is very good, and the choice of where to dine is superb. Food is very good and the breakfast offers everything you need to get the work day done. The only issues i have is the noise from the outside area where you hear the music going onto the late night. Having to wake at 3am to get a flight, this can be a little annoying. Also the Safe was not bolted to the wall which means anyone could walk away with your belongings.

Room Tip: Get a room that is not facing the outside area due to the noise that can be heard late at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TomvanTuijl, Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your positive comments towards our hotel and glad to read that you enjoyed our food and beverage venue's.

As mentioned before, the bathrooms in the classic are planned to be renovated in 2013. We have already finished the mock-up room and our guests are very positive about it. All bedrooms were done in 2012 and we just could not finish the bathrooms as well hence we shall do them in 2013.

Regards,
Tom van Tuijl

Been to Kampala Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!