“It is not worth for 245USD” 2 of 5 stars

Kampala Sheraton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ternan Avenue | P. O. Box 7041, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Kampala
Nairobi, Kenya
“It is not worth for 245USD”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed this hotel twice now. The location of the Hotel is excellent, however, if you spend 245USD, sorry to say Sharaton Kampala is not worth for it. Regular rooms are poorly maintained and old everywhere, except beds! Beds were pretty comfortable and I had a good sleep! That was 4 star! Room service food was also good, 4 star! Swimming pool, water was very clean and big, but water was bit cold! 3 star! Maintenance of the room, 1 star. However, if you stay top three floor which you have to pay a bit more, about 280USD? that was very good! :) Staff at the reception (woman) was not friendly on that particular day when I arrived. Its a Sharaton, but I did not find the value there. It's a pity. Well, that will be your turn and would like to hear what you think.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TomvanTuijl, Manager at Kampala Sheraton Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Good Evening,

thanks for your response. Good to hear that you liked our beds, room service and pool. We have just finished a full renovation on our 112 classic rooms and hence I am surprised to hear that your room was not up to our and your standards. We would love to know which room you were in and what the problems were.

Please contact us directly for your future bookings and we will make sure that your next experience is the best you ever had with Sheraton. (tom.vantuijl@sheraton.com)

Best regards,

Tom van Tuijl
Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
Nanyuki, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Kampala traffic can be bad at the best of times and horrendous at worst, as such the location of the Sheraton made my business trip bearable in terms of reaching my destinations. On the downside because it is centrally located, my room, even with the windows closed was extremely noisy during the day.

A friendly and efficient welcome from the security and reception staff was a great start. the reception area is large and offers plenty of seating with access to a small arcade of shops within the hotel itself. The downside of this was being joined by a local lady who persisted despite repeated requests to allow me to work to want to talk to me and become my "friend"; when in desperation I indicated that I was sure that the hotel management would not approve of her asking for money from their guests she left. Internet reception in the main lobby bar is not great but it is good in the rooms and it is free! Full marks to the Sheraton for providing this crucial service as part of the room rate.

Room - hmmmm. "Tired" would be my best description. The room itself was a good size with a comfortable bed, the furniture though looks as though it came from the 1960s , it was perfectly functional but was totally uninspiring. Good television reception with a decent selection of programmes. Tea/coffee making facilities and bottled water were another +ve. Outlook from my room (clearly I had a bad one), a large roofed area and a car park - not inspiring.

The bathroom - diabolical. Tiny and grubby. Finding a positive - good towels and plenty of them. I would recommend removing the ancient bath and installing a modern walk-in shower. Seriously, even if I was desperate for a bath I wouldn't want to get into that tub.

The staff - fabulous, friendly day and night, I cannot fault them.

Outside, if you have the time and the foresight to bring swimming gear you will love the large pool. The area around the pool also looks a bit worn, but it is clean. The large gardens are lovely.

Room service, the food was hot on arrival but it was a long wait before it arrived. Breakfast - typical large hotel chain offering, the biggest frustration - getting a single cup of hot water and a teabag as opposed to a pot of tea! Snacks and meals in the bar and dining room - good, well presented and not overly priced.

Overall, a good business option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

First time in Kampala - just as an aside - it is quite a long way from EBB, Entebbe airport; approx an hour and a half including some traffic which is common on approach to the city. Efficient check-in. Very nice reception area, with coffee/tea bar and nice patisserie, plus little gift shops. Anthony on Reception very friendly and nice. In refurbished room, which ok. Bathroom very small and although also possibly refurbished, also show signs of neglect, but it's ok. No soap provided but that might ave been an oversight.... however, when entering my room, there was a hotel staff member already in it, which was a bit strange.... but perhaps he was just leaving some of the numerous bottles of water I found provided f.o.c. in the room. Empty fridge which I personally always find useful. Rooms seem clean and tidy, and the corridors are very swish/ornate - it's all obviously been done up quite recently. Nice areas outside for outdoor eating with attentive, friendly staff. Set in attractive, landscaped grounds with views over the city. Ate in the cafe lounge restaurant by Reception area which was pleasant and well-patronised. Food does not always quite match the menu (as my colleague noted who has stayed here several times thus year) but my tilapia fish was good. Nice selection of coffees and teas, which came with delicious homemade shortbread biscuits (cookies). Free wifi throughout, the reception was better however in the rooms than in the Lobby, which is unusual! Overall, a nice stay, but bathroom size might be an issue with some.

Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I spent two nights during a recent business trip to Kampala. The Sheraton is very well located for business meetings, which is important given the sometimes appalling traffic. I was surprised to dsicover that it was originally built in the mid-1960s - clearly a lot of money has been spent on refurbishment. The swimming pool is very large. Service was excellent. The only negative was the basic quality of the bathroom fittings.

Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

After spending a couple of days in Jinja, I came back to Kampala. The Sheraton was great. A restaurant with good food and fresh salad, with the possibility to sit inside and outside. A good room with a comfortable bed and a good bathroom. The only thing lacking was the view from my room, but as it is dark very early in Kampala that was no issue for me.

The breakfast was decent but not exceptional.

The staff at reception and in the restaurant were friendly and efficient.

The hotel is not cheap, but very comfortable. If I return to Kampala, I will go back.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been coming to this hotel on and off for 15 years. During that time it has had some highs but many more lows. These days though since the full refurbishment it is a nice, good value for money hotel. They had the vision during the refurb to remove the bath tubs from many of the rooms and to fit great walk in showers!
Rooms are a decent size , air conditioning works well and beds are comfortable.
The service is better than average (and much, much better than it used to be).
Food is a bit hit and miss but again improving.
Overall it is good value for money

Room Tip: Beware the traffic when going to the airport. At peak times allow a minimum of 60 minutes and better...
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was going to give an "average" rating, but having just looked through past photos I decided to review! I stayed in an executive room which appears (from the photos) to have been one of the refurbished ones. The fittings in the bedroom and bathroom were modern, although I felt that that bathroom was not as clean as it could be (mould in the shower etc), and in the bedroom there were marks on the walls and carpets.

The things I liked about my stay:
-very comfortable "Sheraton sweet sleeper" bed
-complimentary access to the Club Room
-they allowed me to check in 2 hours early without fuss (the same could not be said for my earlier stay in Kampala at the Protea)
-fast, free wifi
-ample towels in the bathroom (I hate it when you just get one and it's still wet when you use it in the morning after showering the previous night)

The things I didn't like about my stay:
-exceptionally noisy air conditioning (I had to sleep with earplugs)
-small room with little space around the bed (and on one side they crammed in a small chair - but it would have been impossible to get in and out of the bed with it there)
-painfully slow room service (over an hour to get a bowl of tagliatelle alfredo delivered)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Kampala Sheraton Hotel? Share your experiences!