“Customer oriented” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plot 95, Circular Road, Mutungo Hill, Kampala, Uganda   |
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Kampala
“Customer oriented”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived after 11pm and still managed to get room service dinner. The staff led by Ken (Front Office Manager) listened carefully to our every comment and followed through to provide what we wanted. The rooms are large and well appointed. Extra gadgets were provided on request. We loved the African tea and staple "matoke". The evening views are great starting with a great sunset. I liked the setting on the terrace where drinks and meals can be served as well as the location of the bar. The hotel provides transport at an additional fee and our day tour of Kampala with Bashir was most rewarding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I woke up at 3 a.m. in Afrique Suites hotel thinking I was on that ride at Disneyworld where the elevator drops six stories. Nightmare. But it was the third time that I'd been woke up that night by the hotel's singing elevator.

See, every time the elevator opens or closes, Fleur De Lis followed by the Theme from Love Story played loud enough to wake me up in our room, three doors from the elevator.

Coupled with a roomful of mosquitos and the heat, we didn't sleep much for $140. When i went out to see if i could turn off the elevator at 3 a.m., I asked the maid moping the floors if she had a fan. "You can use the airconditioner," she said. We had seen it, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on and the phone in our room didn't work. "It's the switch near the floor by the door into the kitchen."

A bit of information no one had bothered to tell us.

The same kitchen that had gorgeous marble counters, two pans, two cups, but no dishes. The same kitchen that had an outside door to the balcony that wouldn't lock because a previous tenant had lost the keys. The same kitchen that had a nice kettle, but no bottled water and not one bag of complimentary tea nor coffee.

Afrique is a gorgeous hotel with tons of potential. It could be one of the nicest hotels in Uganda, albeit about a five mile drive out of town. But presently, after being open a year, it's like a gorgeous Mercedez Benz with a broken motor.

Things just don't work.

First, we had been told we could use our Visa to pay. It took almost 30 minutes to check in, though we were the only clients in the lobby. the visa swipe machine wouldn't work, though I had paid for my hotel the previous day in Kigali and later bought lunch in Kampala with the same Visa. Four staff stabbed and poked and prodded by card in all the wrong ways.

While this process was going on, another staff scuttled around trying to find a room that was ready. We were a bit early, but it looked like there weren't many guests in the hotel. We were given room 17, then switched to room 18, then called and told we could move to room 17 because the toilet seat was broken. However, it was just a bit loose, like the one at our house, so we opted to stay put.

A few tweeks and this hotel would be awesome. for instance, the window to the outside has a curtain that won't fully close beause they've put the curtain ring on the wrong side of the holder... so light streams in on the bed all night.

After complaining about the mosquitos, the maid told us there was spray in the room. Why didn't they use it when they made the beds?

Lunch. Took 2 hours for chips, samosas, a chapati and potato wedges. We were the only clients. Gorgeous, breezy verandah as mentioned above, and a great place to spend the afternoon. Thankful we weren't in a hurry. Incredibly overpriced, limited, unimaginative menu. A great location. Mercedez Like. But the menu is very average. And the food... like a kia sportage.

We went to bed exhausted and tired and fried from a day of meetings. After being woken by the elevator, the mosquitos and the maid mopping the hall - and the heat - we fell asleeop around 4 with the AC on. Only to be woke up by a 7.30 a.m. call from a very enthusiastic young man who informed us that breakfast was ready.

I thought that it must be ending soon, due to the call, but he said it closed at 10.

along the street all over Kampala you see piles of gorgeous fruit. It was absent on the breakfast buffet.

We asked for scrambled eggs. Again, we were one of two clients on the verandah. It seemed like the first time the cook had had that request. Out of the box. A suzuki dressed like a mercedes. It took two trips back to the kitchen and blue band before our scrambled eggs showed up... by that time, we'd finished our potatos and sausage and beans from the breakfast bar. the eggs needed pepper. I asked the waitress if she had black pepper. She looked at me stunned, "Yes. But it' inside." Only when my son asked for pepper did she go inside to get it.

we got back to our room and room service had already taken our towels, though we hadn't checked out.

I did manage to use my visa.

Again... the hotel has great potential, but some serious managmeent, trianing and staffing issues.

And then there's that singing elevator...

Room Tip: good things: secure. gorgeous. good wireless internet. nice applicances. above average beds. nice vi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Afrique H, Manager at Afrique Suites Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Travis,

We have read your detailed review with attention and appreciate your efforts to highlight the positive aspects of your experience. We apologize for those aspects of our service that were not to your satisfaction.

We have taken the following steps: The Music in the elevator has been removed permanently, additional training to their regular sessions is underway for all staff in food production, front office and housekeeping and the hotel information system has been updated.

We are delighted with your appreciation of the high quality of the hotel edifices, rooms, grounds, and views as well as friendliness of the staff.

We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you here once again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is perfect for business travllers!
I have not been to such a wonderfu place where i can actually relax, unwind, and do business at the same time. There is no noise pollution at all! i was given an executive suite and everything was perfect.
i spent most of my days doing business, but actually it was the most relaxing business trip i was on in years. there is hustle free internet which is fast. and by my experience in some hotels in uganda, this is not the case. this one is an exception!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms and services.

It is our aim to provide a consistently high quality experience for each guest that stays with us.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at Afrique Hotel in March of this year (2013) and enjoyed the stay.
It is family owned which gives it a personal touch with a lovely local couple and their team.
I booked an ensuite studio with a living room and kitchen so I could work as well as live in the space. It was huge and could fit a family easily.
The rooms were all very clean and well maintained with housekeeping on hand at any time of day and night with was reassuring.
The food was mainly local dishes that I wanted to taste and since they were made from scratch they did take some time to be delivered to my room which at first was a worry but I began to book the meals a little earlier in advance which made for smooth service.
My washing was delivered promptly on a daily basis an ths staff were very friendly.
The best aspect for me and other quests that I spoke to was the view.
Having visited Uganda often over the last eight years I know it is a rare site overlooking the city as far as the he can see.
All is all I can highly recommend this lovely Gem in Kampala for its value for money, atmosphere and location. I will be booking in again next month when I travel back for a project.

Room Tip: The second floor and above are the most quiet away from the reception area. The rooms overlooking th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Seville, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. Set on a hillside in the Kampala suburb of Mutungo Afrique has a fantastic panoramic view of the city from just about anywhere in the complex.
I booked a self-contained studio which was almost too spacious, pleasantly designed, well equipped, clean modern and airy.
The terrace restaurant was my favourite spot, breezy and again, the incredible views over Kampala. Wireless internet is available to guests. When I used it room service was prompt and the food adequate.
A fully equipped gym, spa and swimming pool will soon be operational and this will no doubt increase rates.
Fantastic value for money, I could barely believe the price. Why pay the earth for a cramped over-priced hotel room in the better known establishments when one can get a spacious, clean modern, private self-contained, serviced studio room at four-star level for a fraction of the price. I will definitely stay here again. Highly recommended for short, long term stay and for individuals or families.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Our best wishes.

Been to Afrique Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!