“Great food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 217 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant with ample parking,an Eat -in Bar,Gardens,a 14 and 35 seater conference rooms,with nearby spa,unisex saloon and boutique.We are good in outside catering,deliveries and parties of all kinds. We have dedicated and professional staff.
Kabale, Uganda
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Located in the up market neighborhood of Kampala, Mama Ashanti serves great food from West Africa, Uganda and continental foods. The portions are generous and pocket friendly.However on the evening I was there, there were loud patrons who ruined a seemingly great evening.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kampala, Uganda
“Second time and I am still disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I visited Mama Ashanti based on a friends recommendation. Somewhere I could try authentic west African food? Yum. I first visited Mama Ashanti in April 2014, a Friday afternoon. The place looked nice...quite suitable for an afternoon meal.

I ordered for fofo (fufu) but was told I had to make an order in advance so they couldn't prepare..I settled though somewhat disappointed for the pounded yam. My friend had jolof rice. I am not a fan of rice but jolof sounds exotic so I decided to try it....Terrible. (maybe its because I am not a fan of rice) but there was nothing jolof about the jolof. Just rice with a bit of colour and something that looks like cabbage. Didn't like it at all. I make better tasting rice at home. The pounded yam was bland...maybe that's what yam tastes like? Never had it before so was disappointed the more. Food took forever to be served. Maybe its because the ingredients are flown in from West Africa? (:-)_

Second time was a group dinner/meeting a month later.Same thing, no fofo (fufu). There was a corporate function that was going on so all the waiters seemed occupied and rushed. Food took forever to come...same joke of ingredients on route was shared.... Tasted the jolof rice again....my taste buds were not excited at all. The chicken stew in spinach was ok though..nothing exciting. So disappointing.

I am a believer in third chances...will go there again and I hope to be wowed this time round...

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kampala
“Good food, shame about the service & up keep!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

You have to ask the waiters to take your order. Once delivered, they forget about you as they are busy watching television. Such a shame that such a nice place can get it so wrong with staffing. Heard the founder sought greener pastures across the border - Nairobi!

Kampala, Uganda
“Good food, very very slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The setting is nice and quiet, the garden is spacious and green. The menu has a large variety of choices for vegetarians and non vegetarians. However there were only a total of three tables occupied when we went for lunch last week but it took over an hour to bring our food. The waiter was not helpful, we had to go look for him on four occasions. The food is tasty, a bit pricey for what you are getting, but a good meal. The service needs some improvement. If you have an entire afternoon to fill, this is the place for you. But if you need to be anywhere within 2 hours of beginning your meal, pick another place.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fine West-African experience in East Africa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

A caveat is in order here: the restaurant is actually on Trip Advisor - under misspelt name! TA's sagacious software would not let me correct..the name.
Anyway, the restaurant definitely des merit two sets of reviews!!
Situated in one of Kampala's better quarters,scattered in a number of open pavillions in a pleasant garden, on a slope with good view, the restaurant offers a truly pleasant and relaxing :atmosphere.
I am no expert on West African cuisine (some of the reviewers on the other page seem to be- and did like it).but I found the food tasty spicier than usual East African fare, and definitely more imaginative.. Interesting vegetarian and fish dishes and good beef (I sound reserved here because my actual choice- goat was not available..). Friendly and attentive staff, reasonable prices (by tourist yardstick, that is) . A place I'd like to visit again (if only to get my goat..)

• Visited April 2014