“It is a GOOD Japanese restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 196 Restaurants in Kampala
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Yujo has a Facebook page - it's not been open for very long, but is the latest attraction here in Kampala
Nairobi, Kenya
“It is a GOOD Japanese restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

It is a good Japanese restaurant here in Kampala. As a Japanese person, I cannot give 5 star for some reason. I had SUSHI and it was good, but the fish on top of rice was very small! So if you are big fan of SUSHI, the volume of the food may not fill you up! However, hey, here in Kampala, far away from the sea, what do you expect??? I realized that "wasabi" comes seperately, because THEY care for many African customers and others. They have Japanese beer and the staff and trhe sheff are very friendly! :) I will go back there and try other food and put it again here! The price is a bit high, but I bet the restaurant spends a lot of money for importing fish from Mombasa, Kenya. So there is nothing we can do. Have a good time and good SUSHI in Kampala, folks! :)

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
HanifRehemtulla, Owner at Yujo Sushi Bar and Izakaya, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We are currently importing seafood from Japan, Norway, Korea, Tanzania, Kenya, and near the coast of Somalia.

You are correct, the high prices of importing seafood from all these places definitely has an impact on the sizes of our portions, especially for nigiri sushi.

Kampala
“Sorts out my Sushi cravings!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My favorite sushi roll is the sweet potato roll , not only is it fairly priced i just love the crunchy bits of the potato on top of the rice. Also to add the dinning setting which takes on a Japanese style where you sit on the floor is always a tickle to my fancy !!

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Remember you are not near Fresh fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We love Sushi and we know that not all the best are in Japan or major cities.
We came here after reading the reviews, while the standard were good. The food didn't quite hit the mark. We have had much better (ok not in Uganda)
Once you remember that there is not that much fresh fish in the area then the place does get better if you understand that go and enjoy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Please drop me an email at yujorestaurant@gmail.com if you have some time.

I'd like to know which dishes you had that fell short of your expectations, so that I can look into it and make some improvements where necessary.

Hopefully you'll have the chance to come by another time, and we can change your mind!
Kampala, Uganda
“Sushi in Kampala?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I never thought I would ever eat Sushi in Kampala, as I did not want to get sick. Two people in one week talked about Yujo, and it happened that some friends were heading over; I decided to throw caution to the wind, and boy am I glad I did.

This place is fantastic, I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get my favorite sushi and enjoyed every bite, so did everyone else in our group. Most had been there before, so they new how good the the food was, but for the newbies, we all left vowing to return, and I can't wait. The fish was fresh and the regulars are convinced it is flown in daily. If you like Japaneses food then I highly recommend this restaurant; there is a variety of cooked food with smelt delicious, so you can find something to please every palate.

Visited March 2013
Kampala, Uganda
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Excellent food, fresh fish. Could compare to London sushi resturants. I was extremely happy when this opened and even though its on the more expensive end of Kampala restuarants I still go every week!
p.s good for large groups

Visited February 2013
It makes me very happy to hear that people such as yourself are able to compare our restaurant's fare with those you've had back home!

We shall continue to work on this and push the bar higher as far as we can!