“Worst hotel experience ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aponye Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampala
Aponye Hotel
Save Saved
You added Aponye Hotel to your Saves list
Apollo House,Plot 17B William Street | Next to Equity bank & UBA Bank and Majestic Plaza, Kampala +256, Uganda   |
Ranked #41 of 61 Hotels in Kampala
Warsaw, Poland
“Worst hotel experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We didn't have expectations about this hotel, we just wanted a budget option before we left Kampala for the south. But what we were given to sleep in was a not-so-clean room which turned out to be a cockroach nest. I've never ever seen so many cockroaches and they were crawling all over the place. Hundreds of them. We asked the staff to get rid of them and they replied promptly applying some insecticide but it didn't help. Unfortunately it was too late to look for another place and we had to survive the night. If you, by any chance, are considering this place I can tell you one thing - DO NOT STAY THERE, never ever.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room at this hotel. Choose another place to stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Aponye is without a doubt the worst place I've ever stayed, including backpacker hostels I've stayed in. There is no hint of hospitality in any of the staff at this cockroach infested hole. I have never been subjected to such dismissive attitude by reception staff or by "housekeeping" staff in my life. The rooms are not clean, they don't even use mops to clean the floor. I had to get woken up every morning by security as for 2 weeks they thought my Ugandan fiancé was a prostitute and she was leaving early in the morning after a night of paid passion. It didn't occur to these morons, no matter how many times I tried, that she's actually leaving to go to work!!
The food is sub-par, and the menus are horrendously out date. You try to order food by phone and after about 3 or 4 attempts at explaining what you want, you find that many of the items on the menu are no longer offered. To try and get a cold drink is akin to trying to find the lost city of gold. All the staff are nothing more than mindless zombies; no emotion, no skills, totally apathetic and if you try and complain they just stare at you blankly. It's as if they're willing you to go to another hotel as they no longer wish to deal with you. I tried to order 2 extra pillows for the bed at one stage, yet the utter confusion that this simple request generated, it would've been easier to just go and get them myself. There's no such thing as just wanting a relaxing day in bed watching tv, you get disturbed by cretins asking if you need toilet paper or soap, then another interruption at the door an hour later for "cleaning", then another interruption an hour after that in case I might have laundry. It never ended, you end up going out, as the dust filled streets of Kampala turn out to be more relaxing than the hotel!!
Do yourselves a favour and stay anywhere else than in this abysmal excuse for a hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

After reading all the negative comments on this forum we initially wanted to avoid this hotel. However, they offered airport pickup and early check-in which was convenient as we arrived very early from Cairo.
Prepared for the worst, we were positively surprised! The airport pickup was on time and charged the agreed cost, we really could check in at 4 am at no additional charge (!!! we only paid the standard price for the next night) and the rooms were clean and very ok for the cost of the room.
The only negative point worth mentioning is its location in downtown Kampala, so yes, there is noise during the night (but this was the same in almost every other city we stayed in East Africa). However, we preferred to stay in the center as we appreciated the possibility to walk to the Post Bus and restaurants without having to take a taxi all the time.
So, all in all I can only recommend this hotel to budget travelers!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here mostly for its handy location smack bang downtown close to the taxi park. It is a funny place in that it is above a shopping mall and it is not so easy to get up to the hotel (3rd floor) when you have lots of bags and their perpetually out of order elevator is, well, out of order.
I stayed first in a double room with fan as there were no singles, it was about $23 but did have wifi and a tv with 3 channels, one of which showed some olympics in portuguese.
The room was ok but the fan was nowhere near the bed so was quite useless. On opening the window I got bitten hundreds of times - the mozzies around there are fierce.
It was a little noisy overnight with banging or doors going till 2 or 3 am (sounded more like staff that guests) and then some hammering at 7 am.So the next night I moved into another room which had a/c and was $27. This was better and quieter and i could leave the window closed. The TV did not really work though i don't go to Africa for TV.

The shower was pretty poor with the hot water more of an imagined warmth than actual but it worked, and after 2 days of bucket baths in Murchison i was ok with that.
A final word on the staff. While the porters are quite helpful the desk ladies could not give less of a damn if they tried. But trying is not in their job description. I found it more amusing than anything else but I could see how it could get annoying if you actually needed help. Their laundry is weird, charging more to wash socks than trousers, but it is what it is.

Fora night or two if you have an early taxi in the morning it is fine and a lot cheaper than the mid range hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid the ones with the balcony that opens into the courtyard. Balconies over the main road are coo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I am writing this review as I sit on the bed in my room at the Aponye Hotel, at 3:39am, because I cannot sleep due to the deafening base coming from who-knows-where saturating my room. I am wearing ear plugs. I asked to be moved but the woman at the front desk stared at me blankly and told me I would have to pay more to move to a quieter section.

Customer service here is terrible; appropriate for a dive like the Hotel Aponye.

There are also many cockroaches in my room. Big ones, little ones... It’s pretty gross. I have been living in Uganda for about three months now and have never seen such an infestation anywhere else I have stayed.

My word of advice is to just go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hotel arraigned an airport transfer for us, which was great until we went to pay for it. The e-mail from the hotel listed one price, but the driver demanded more. This occurred at the front desk with the hotel manager present. We produced the e-mail but the manager and the driver both said the e-mail was wrong and we would have to pay more.

We attempted to change our US currency into Ugandan shillings at the airport, but the driver insisted that we wait, that we could get a better rate elsewhere. Against my better judgement I listened. When we get to the hotel, the manager kept finding "problems" with our US currency, and would not accept it. Although she would gladly "hold" a "bad" $100 bill until we could get to a bank the next day, after we told her we had to leave at 7:00 to catch a bus. I was finally able to find an ATM so we could pay her. Sure enough there was no-one around except for a guard sleeping on the lobby couch when we left the next morning.

The service was rude, the restaurant was below average, and overall it was not a good experience. The only good thing about this hotel was the proximity to the Post Office if you need to catch the Post Bus to other parts of the country.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Where do I start? The person (woman) at the reception/front desk was very unprofessional. I called from overseas to check to see that my family member had arrived and checked in okay and i was treated to rudeness!!!!!!! Because I did not know his room number I was shut down and told there are many 'bazungu' (white people) there and how was she supposed to know who he was...never mind the fact that I gave both his names a number of times. Her other phone then rang and without putting me on hold she went ahead to answer it and why am I not surprised that it was a persoanl call? Finally she hang up on me because I guess she thought it was the next best thing to do. Stay at this place at your own risk!!!! If the first bit of service (or lack of) is what they are offering, then I do not want to even know what the rest of the hotel has to offer. Shame on you Aponye...better step up!!!! with your customer service or get out of the businesss of hospitality all together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not waste your time and mind! You'll go crazy after dealing with the crappy front desk woman.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Aponye Hotel? Share your experiences!