“Room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Kampala
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was not my first time at Le Chateau but it has been a while since I last visited the place. The overall ambiance is nice and the food was good though better at my previous visits. What needs improvement is the service which I can best describe as 'plastic'. Not a smile or welcome for the guests and being ignored was the order of the day. We went to celebrate my sister's birthday and she was very excited about having dinner there. It turned out OK but we expected a lot better service. The food was generally good except for the over salted pork ribs, I think it would have been a much better experience if we were better attended to.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Albany, Oregon
“Not Impressed with the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've been to this restaurant over the years and was "inspired" to write a review here, because I have been very disappointed the last few times I have been. The food quality is fair at best (but prices are high!). In the past few months they have been out of beef, which is a disappointment - especially when you want a steak. I do not plan to return anytime soon. Hopefully the management and chefs will take to heart these issues and do something about it. The restaurant atmosphere is pleasant.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kampala, Uganda
“Great place, Average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

First off the food is good, not always great and not always consistent.
If your order the same thing it always comes out different, than the time before
Just two rules here
1. Make sure your waiter/ress knows what you want
2. Make sure your waiter/ress knows what you want
follow those two rules and you will have a good meal....!!

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A disappointing meal, with an attempt of theft thrown in for good measure…”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I booked this restaurant ahead, having visited it to check the menu and the fact that I could pay by credit card as I knew we would have no cash on us that day. It was a special occasion, as we had got married the day before, and after the stress of that day I wanted to ensure my wife and I had a nice relaxing meal the following evening, I also asked if we could have some chocolate cake put aside for my wife, her favourite and was told this would not be a problem. Having checked everything was satisfactory and looked at the menu which boasted original Belgian fare and a home chef I was suitably impressed. Our visit could not have been more disappointing. While the venue and the service on the surface is very pleasant, our main courses were not up to the standard I was expecting. Additionally the cake could only been paid for by cash, as it was coming from the local patisserie. Fair enough, but not mentioned to be in the first place, otherwise I could have planned accordingly. I ordered the Pork Chops which were extremely fatty (I’ve had them before in Uganda and they’ve never been this poor) the Belgian gravy was okay, but the vegetable sides appeared to come straight out of a tin, not something I would expect here. My wife’s orange duck was better, but also can with a huge slick of fat which would have been better served removed and the same bland vegatables. Our waffle desert was a disappointment too, the waffle not being warm and barely toasted. When we came to pay the bill our server seemed only to keen for me to just give him my credit card and said the bill was all in order, when I said wanted to check, he said it wasn’t necessary. I pointed out to him, that I would need to give my code for the payment to be authorised, so reluctantly he took to the machine. I was just about to put the code in when I thought I should check my bill, and sure enough things had been added to it that we had never even ordered. I pointed this out to who I assume was the manager (An Asian gentleman) who was dealing with the payment. He promptly took the items off and out the payment through again. When I asked why this had happened in the first place, my question was met with zero response, which made me wonder why he didn’t call over the server and ask him why the mistakes had been made or offer me any kind of proper apology or reason for this error? Either he was in on this attempt of theft, or he didn’t care and think it was a problem. In short, we can only summarise that this was a blatant attempt to overcharge us and is not something which we would expect from a restaurant of this type. My wife pointed out to me how keen the server had been for me not to go over the bill later on. Consequently we would never eat here again, and would advise others paying by credit card, or otherwise, to check their bills carefully and to personally oversee any credit card transactions at this establishment. Very disappointing....

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good but avoid busy weekends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went to Le Chateau 2 times when we were in Kampala. First just with my mom and dad and my little daughter, second time also 4 more people attended. Food very good both times but service was not OK second time. They failed to gives us cutlery for meat, the ones ordering water did not get a glass to drink it from. I who first took a beer and then wanted wine and water could not get a fresh glass for the water so I was forced to rinse my beer glass with water and realise that was they served it.

First time it was half full, second time completely full. The staff that was serving second time was not trained, I suppose they just bring in extra staff that is not trained when the place is busy. I tried to call for booking second visit but noone picked my call.

I would go again but would avoid weekends when the place is full.

• Visited January 2013