“Quiet and safe place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 58 hotels in Kampala
Mauritius
“Quiet and safe place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is well located in a safe and good neighborhood, close to the US embassy or consulate (don't remember).
I stayed in a Junior suite for 5 nights and my room was just near the wall separating the hotel from the village. At night it was quite noisy, I could hear all the noise of the village.
The room was very clean and comfortable, the bedding nice, good quality and well maintained.
Overall the staff is just ok. The service is not excellent, I suppose in terms of local norms it's good but for international norms it is very average.
The food is very good, the best restaurant in town from what I have heard!
One night I ordered room service for my diner. I had just a salad and had to wait 1 hour before boing served...
Breakfast is average, not specially good. The staff is not welcoming in the restaurant. Every morning I had to wave and call someone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the village if you want to avoir the noise during night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was only in Kampala for a short stay, but was right at home at Le Petit Village. There is a bakery (didn't try) on site that looked popular for dessert and a restaurant (on the pricey side) that was decent. The room was spacious, had satellite TV with lots of choices, wireless internet, and a mosquito net over the bed. I didn't try the pool, but it looked relaxing. It is in a quiet part of Kampala (yes, there is a "quiet part"), next to the US Embassy and across from a grocery store and small mall. They charge (or did when I was there) a 5% surcharge for credit cards (which I found to be common in Africa). Complimentary bottle of water ~1L. Keycode is required when entering the hotel area at night for security.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I splurged on a hotel for a few nights in Kampala. So happy we did because this hotel was one of the best I've ever been to. The rooms are so cozy and clean. The decor was minimalistic and relaxing. It was nice to have a deli, wine shop, sweets shop and restaurant right near the hotel. We were so surprised when the woman came to our room with champagne, it was great!!! I would recommend this place and I'd stay here again!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Le Petit Village is an outstanding hotel in Kampala.
I stayed there for a week during a business trip and every day I was happy that I did not end up in one of the sterile international hotels (i.e. Sheraton or Serena).
The lodges and the garden surrounding a beautiful pool are a pleasure to the eye.
Rooms are spacious, modern, charming, spotless and relaxing.
Service lives up to the highest standards.
Everyone is very friendly and helpful.
The location is good - a 5 min foot walk away from Kabalagala and a 10 min Bodaboda ride away from the city center.
100 meters away from the hotel is one of Kampala's biggest grocery stores.
Connected to the hotel are a restaurant, a patisserie, a butcher, a pharmacy, and a bank.
My friends say that the restaurant, the patisserie, and the butcher are among the very best in Kampala.
If one can afford the price there hardly is a better place in Kampala.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We recently stayed at Le Petit while visiting Kampala. This property is above average for Kampala. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. It is very quaint and peaceful, as opposed to the large hotel offerings in the city center area. There is a new disco across the street that played music unitl 5 am, but the hotel is working to shut that down. For now, it is a bit brutal. The best part is it's association with Le Petit Village. There is a great coffee shop, bakery, butchery and sandwhich shop all in the gated property. The restaurant, Le Chateau, is excellent. Great lunch and dinner. They serve a wonderful breakfast that is included as part of your stay. The restaurant is a good place to hang out and have drinks in the afternoon. The staff was nice, but you won't be hugging goodbye when you leave. We would definitely stay here again on our next trip to Kampala.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms are better. You get a nice sitting balcony and a view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I can only say that there is no other hotel like Le Petit village in Kampala! I recently stayed there for business and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
From the start all went well, staff was friendly and portrays the Ugandan friendly reception!

The hotel has a beautiful pool surrounded by the beautiful lush gardens and the creative african style buildings.
The hotel rooms are exceptionally beautiful and nicely designed to give you a very different experience and don't feel like your typical small cubicle hotel room! Other hotels will charge you big money for the same size of these rooms so this is really value for money!! The fridge is stocked with free drinks and is being replenished every day. The hotel goes out of their way by looking after small details that makes all the difference to give you comfortable stay!

Their restaurant is called Le Chateau and can truly be called one of the best restaurants in Kampala. Have a cowboy steak and you will see what I mean.

To my mind, this hotel is very unique in every aspect from design to comfort as well as the level of customer service with staff that are extremely helpful.
I would recommend it to travelers that appreciate class and enjoy staying at boutique hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had high hopes for Le Petit Village but was disappointed and ended up leaving a day earlier than planned.

Pros:
-- Service was v. good. Everyone who works there was very pleasant and accommodating so kudos to the staff
-- Nice looking pool (although I didn't swim in it)
-- Junior suite is large with high ceilings

Cons:
-- Unreliable internet connectivity made doing work at times nearly impossible (I was in town for business)
-- Noise from the club across the road kept me up on two separate nights. One night I didn't sleep at all -- the music was still going at 5 a.m.
-- restaurant was not good (there was a long curly strand of hair in my dinner one night, and a roach crawling around the bread during breakfast one morning which I pointed out to the waitress. Gross.)
-- I didn't like the tub so close to the bed, was strange
-- I'm pretty sure my sheets weren't changed daily which is odd for a hotel with so few rooms (I could still see the makeup stain on my pillow from the day before)
-- complimentary champagne and turn down service is nice but being disrupted twice every evening was too much (there should be one person who both delivers the champagne and turns down the room so that guests are only disturbed once while they're trying to relax in the evenings if they're in their rooms)
-- overpriced for the quality

Gotta say, normally I can trust Tripadvisor reviews no question, but the high scores here have me scratching my head. The hotel tries, and again the staff is uniformly lovely, but I expected more

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Le Petit Village? Share your experiences!