“fantastic stay !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 58 hotels in Kampala
baal
“fantastic stay !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is paradise in Kampala.
Fantastic rooms and very nice staff.
The swimming pool is THE extra that makes it like a paradise.
To be is an enclosure with a bakery,a restaurant, a bouchery and a wine reseller makes it more than a super stay. you don't have to move to the city when you are in a need.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Like some other reviewers I hesitated before deciding how to rate the hotel...until I had no hot water for the third evening in a row..and as I explained this to the man who came to give me my "free" glass of pink sparkling wine all he said was "wow," and walked off. No offered of help or telling anyone. Sadly this sums up the attitude of most of the staff I met.

Anyway the first impressions are fabulous. There is no doubt it is a very pretty place with (generally) well designed large rooms and well planted little garden and it is an oasis in busy Kampala. Its a bit of a way out of the action or work if you travel in by rush hour..could take an hour or so to do what would usually be a 10 min journey. So so far so good..nice big room with great looking shower behind the back wall behind the bed and a roll top bath standing in the room with a screen. I only used it once in a week long stay because of the lack of hot water issue and it is hard to get out of etc..all show. the WC curiously is behind a tasteless sneclosed forsted glass shower type cubicle in the corner..very out of keeping. But the bed was comfy..a touch hard which is how I like them...

So I thought I had struck gold until I found a worse than useless satellite TV with only a few channels and which kep defunding itself esp after power cuts ..even then I thought no big deal. Had the aforesaid bath then found no hairdrier....a long walk down a dark and uneven path to reception in the rain where they looked amazed that I should even want one.....they hummed and ahed and then looked in a cupboard and brought out a sad object with a two pin plug on it. I explained that the plug wouldn't fit into the socket and was offer a screwdriver to help me ram it into the three pig plug in the room. I refused and asked for an adapter at which time the receptionists eyes were raised heavenwards as If I was an complete idiot. I said iwas going to wait ther euntil they brought one as it was unbelievable that's $200 per night hotel didn't provided hair dryers. Eventually a tired old cracked adaptor appeared and I got dry after a trudge back through the rain. The whole attitude was awful. I checked the next morning with the manager and it is true that there are no hairdriers in the room.

s then the hit water started to fail....regularly..they said it was a broken fuse they would fix but of course not...other reviewers have had the same problem. It is awful being hot and tired as I am right now, after a hard days work not to be able to have a warm bath.

Talking of baths at this price one could expect quality products...bring your own. All they provide is rough cheap soap and small tubes of a white fluid that claims to be a shampoo bath wash and shower gel..does none of those things. Threadbare hard damp towels provide the finishing touch.

But by far the worst issue for everyone was the appalling Internet wifi connections..they say they are excellent. I say virtually non existent. if you get a signal it cuts out all the time which is really hard when working .this hotel seems to be used by NGOs and people likes for work. it is impossible to recommend it on this basis alone.
Other niggles are the uneven but picturesque path to the villas by the side of the pool..slippy uneven and quite dark..
Breakfast is expensive and so so... They have the eggs out and burners for producing omelettes etc but never used.
The restaurant is good but pricy at night

My laundry went missing one day which was annoying and the women I asked about it shrugged her shoulders ..it turned up the next day but again unhelpful.

W Weinberg villas at the back..which join on to houses and so not quite..lots of children and building noises whilst I was here..love kids so no probs but building work..no.

Good points? Some rave over the two bottle of water and beer in the fridge and the glass of wine at night..I would say at the prices they charge it should be gin and champagne.

I am really disappointed to write such a review as I was really looking forward to trying somewhere new in this city in which ai have failed to find a good affordable hotel so far

• Stayed August 2012
Stefkam, General Manager at Hotel Le Petit Village, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay with us. We are saddened to hear the mixed feelings about your stay and your disappointment whilst being our guest, please accept our sincerest apologies. Your comments are important to us.
We are eager to provide a highly valued service to exceed our guests’ expectations at all times.

Nevertheless, we are glad you enjoyed the style of our hotel and comfort of your room.

In response to your specific complaints, we would like to highlight the following;

- For entertainment purposes we provide DSTV satellite TV which is the main satellite TV service provider in Africa. We find that the 27 international channels on offer usually meets the requirements of our guests. All rooms are also fitted with a DVD player in the event one would like to watch rented movies. The executive suite that you resided in has a 40inch flat screen TV in the living room and a 30 inch flat screen TV in the bedroom.

- The hotel has sufficient European standard hairdryers available for guests' use. The staff on duty are happy to assist anytime of the day or night and to avail you with this appliance.

- We are disappointed to learn that you were not happy with our bathroom products, which we import specially from Belgium from a reputable supplier of high class hotels. Should we have more complaints on this issue, we will seek alternatives, as we realize these are the niceties that are valued by our guests.

- Le Petit Village has a staff that is highly trained to always put the needs of our guests first. Your feedback on our service is necessary to help us maintain the high standard that has always been enjoyed by our guests. It is unfortunate the waiter who was bringing the complimentary glass of champagne, did not report your problem with hot water. However we have a 24hr receptionist available who would have been able to assist you with this problem. In future, we will ensure that waiters who receive complaints do advise our guests to address them to the hotel reception so that grievances can be promptly addressed.

- Our hotel prides itself on being associated to the leading internet provider in Uganda, which provides the fastest internet speeds for our guests. Unfortunately the quality of service is not comparable yet to the quality one receives in Europe.

- The breakfast that is included in the room charge is served in Le Chateau restaurant. The large buffet has received many complements by other guests and we regret to learn that the large choice did not meet your requirement.

- The company that provides us with this professional laundry service erroneously delivered part of your laundry and left part of it at their premises. You will recall that I personally called up the general manager in your presence and the balance of your laundry was delivered to our hotel by express within 20 minutes. To the best of my knowledge this was satisfactorily addressed.

As one of the leading Hotels in Uganda, we strive to always maintain our high standards and provide the comfort and value that our guests deserve.

Kind regards
Emily Duyck
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I came to Le Petit with fearly high expectations. It was after all no one hotel on tripadviser but sadly nothing worked out the way it should. I stayed for three nights and then we decided to move to somthing better.. The rooms were spacious and our rooms were in on the first floor of bungalow-like buildings, spread in a garden. Nice idea, but there are rocks and uneven steps that made moving around a high risk sport. In my room there was no warm water and the rooms smelled of mold. Internet was working every five minutes and then gone again, which made me stressed. It would be better to be told; sorry we do not have a wifi at this hotel. On the positive side breakfasyt was nice, but you had to walk over a parking lot to get to it. Night portier was not able to get us an extra beer and nothing was really done to make us feel good. We will not come back if so it would be because the bed was very comfotable!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jinja, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

What a truely beautiful place! This hotel is one of the only hotels ive stayed in, that has actually met up to the incredible expectations of the beautiful proffessional photos on the website. The beautiful villas are exactly the same as the photos on the internet!! I stayed in Room 2, This room had two beds, they were king single beds, which i shared the room with my dad. The Bathroom was incredible and luxourious! This room was a little noisey as it connects to rooms 1 and room 3-4. but overall wonderful. Otherwise this room is wonderful and right opposite the pool for a swim! Room 8 was my favourite, this i stayed alone, but would be lovely for a couple. Very romantic and rustic looking, perfect with the deep and long claw foot bath. The room is all open plan, but the shower is hidden behind a wall of stones, that are perfectly laid so at least some privacy in the shower! This room is great for those wanting total relaxation and is also very quite. The morning breakfast is incredible, the cheeses and breads are the highlight along with the beautiful accompliments such as the home made jams and freshly squeezed orange juices. The resturant is great too, the food was nice and the service was fantastic. My dad and i had dinner including drinks for about $39.00 which was fantastic. This hotel is the best hotel i have ever stayed in! If you want true relaxation, then this is exactly what you need. The exclusive 12 villa village is ideal for those wanting to escape the crazieness of busy and hectic kampala!! As i have shred everything was perfect! The only bad part is that there is a strict policy of no friends or visitors allowed in the hotel, that arnt paying guests. On the evening of my second night, i invited two friends to come and see the room, and share the 2 beers and 2 sodas that are complimentary in the bar fridge in the room. The man on for that evening refused them to come, despite me comming from my room to collect them. They werent even allowed to be escorted by the man to see the room. I was most suprised and shocked and considering, there is a beautiful outdoor table for four and of course the spectacular room to show. The problem was also, that there want any notification about this, If they had of said no guests allowed then i think i would have re considered my stay here at the hotel. I suggested a note or memo to guests when they are booking or on arrival. This was very disappointing, otherwise i rate this hotel 5 starts and would love to come back soon!!!

Room Tip: I have only stayed in rooms 2 and 8 , these were incredible rooms. 8 for total peace, and 2 for conv...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Lovely place to stay, the restaurant also served incredibly good food however the service was quite slow at breakfast time...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks for work. Great place for the value. Wifi is free, and they give you free water, soda and beer each day. Another nice touch is they bring you a glass of champagne each day. The pastries are also great.

• Stayed March 2012
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

With only 12 rooms this boutique hotel is perfect for escaping the Kampala rush and smog to relax. The bungalow style rooms are niely designed and well kept. I stayed here durring a trip for work and found one of the rooms I stayed in really needed better lighting options for reading and working in the evening. I did have internet problems on most evenings but they staff worked to resolve the problem activly and prompty which was good. As for other perks they bring around an evening sun-downer glass of sparkling wine and the fridge is stocked with complimentary 2 water, 2 soda and 2 beer (SO NICE)! Located directly accross from a grocery store and within the compound there is a wine store, coffee shop, and bakery leaving many options to buy food and snacks in additon to eating at the nice resturant. Breakfast could be improved but the options are enough for a quick bite before heading to work. Overall a great place to stay in Kampala!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Le Petit Village? Share your experiences!