“Very very close to Five stars!” 4 of 5 stars

Protea Hotel Kampala
4 Upper Kololo Terrace | Kololo, Kampala 9421, Uganda   |
Ranked #12 of 62 Hotels in Kampala
aberdeen
“Very very close to Five stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Lovely hotel in the centre of Kampala...ok I have not stayed anywhere else in Kampala...welcome was pleasant and efficient. Security was good.
The room I stayed in was really very nice. Very large. All equipped. Excellent furnishings good size TV. Stylish bathroom. Crisps and fruit on the bed. Tea and coffee making facilities. Complementary wifi. Balcony with nice view over restaurant and gardens.
What is there not to like you might ask.
Very little.
I could find no way to switch off the bathroom mirror light? No idea how to and quite annoying.
Desk was small to work on for any period of time.
Lighting around the wardrobe area was almost non existent....no major issue but just a little frustrating.
Small points. Not worth getting excited about....but kept this very nice hotel from getting my 5 star rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first time to sub-Saharan Africa and Protea impressed on all fronts. Nice rooms, terrific/helpful staff, adequate business center, nice restaurant/bar, central location, modern amenities, decent gym,...

I felt very at-home after my 8 nights there, the highlight really being the staff.

Geneva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were scheduled to stay there this week for 2 nights.
We would be arriving by plane very early morning and we had requested pick-up from Entebbe airport. Their car was not there and we had to venture outside the airport to find a taxi on our own. When we got to the reception, after checking computer for 15 minutes, there was no room.
No offense, but at 0230H in the morning, if you are at the reception, I am sure you would know whether the hotel was full or not. Anyway, they called around and found another hotel for us and drove us there. Helpful and apologetic but chewing away some 60 precious minutes of sleep. They also ensured that we would have 2 rooms for checking in for our second night of our booking, later that day, after the standard, 1400H check in time. That was being very considerate!
After a short night in the other hotel, and checking what had happened, we discovered that the hotel had sent an e-mail early evening the previous day to my assistant, after she had left for the day, asking for copies of our passports to secure a super late check-in.
Any way, these things can happen.
What can not happen is that the hotel then also told us that we could only check-in after 2100H for our second night. It is good to see that this hotel has very good business but
1 failing to organize a pick-up,
2 messing up communication on 1 night and
3 effectively turning us away the second night,
is not the type of hospitality and attitude that will encourage people traveling to Uganda to rely on this Protea hotel.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I spent one business night at the Protea Hotel in Kampala and was very impressed with their level of service. The reception processed me very fast and were very helpful, instead of requesting me to fill in a long form all I had to produce was a business card + passport of course (they make a copy and return it) and the lady explained that she would fill in all the details from the business card. As part of the package they offered me a complimentary bottle of wine or a choice of 2 local beers ( I recommend Nile or Bell) at the restaurant, I found this to be very welcoming. My room was on the 2nd floor, very clean, though the AC was quite noisy when I turned it on. The Wifi works!! this was a major plus for me having stayed at other hotels in Kampala where the Wifi is non-existent. I ordered room service and even though there was a mix up with the order, when the food arrived it was worth it and quite affordable at $12 for chicken curry + rice., fruit salad + ice cream. When I checked out, I forgot my phone charger and when I contacted the reservations office they informed me it had been returned by housekeeping and I could send someone for it, a true mark of professionalism. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Kampala.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Another business visit, another warm and friendly front door welcome (thanks Moses), friendly greeting from the front desk staff (thanks Andrew and Geoffrey)...who call one by name (and I have not visited that often), helpful evening and early morning staff (thanks Steve) and comfortable rooms...what more can one ask for. Thanks

Room Tip: Ask not to be on the ground floor near the bar :-)
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The rooms are large and nice decorated.
The garden is very nice as well as the bar and the restaurant.
Breakfast is nice.
Staffs are very friendly.
Reception is not a strong point, slow, not well organized, but the managed, but need time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Geneva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our treatment at this hotel was highly unprofessional and unacceptable. The hotel offered a group a certain rate and then proceeded to change the price a number of times. Staff wasted a huge amount of time (a whole week) through a series of miscommunications, lies and intended avoidance in trying to resolve the problem. In addition they moved part of the group to another hotel at huge inconvenience (as we were attending a conference) with no compensation. Extracting an apology and coming to a solution was a long tedious and stressful process. The repeated response was to blame anyone else (including ourselves as customers) without taking responsibility. The problem here is poor management and a complete lack of communication.

Do not stay at this hotel, it is highly overpriced and not worth a single cent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Kampala? Share your experiences!