“Very nice confortable and modern rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Protea Hotel Kampala
4 Upper Kololo Terrace | Kololo, Kampala 9421, Uganda   |
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Kampala
Madrid, Spain
“Very nice confortable and modern rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Fantastic business stay at Protea Kampala. The service , the rooms and the staff were excellent. The food at the restaurant is also high quality. It is a smaller property than the main hotels in the city, and it has great location.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in a higher floor, there are some very loud frogs in the garden that may disturb y...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here in March. Mywife and I were taking a short break in Uganda and we travelled about a fair bit. We booked the Protea because my husband is there a lot on business and he knows the quality.

The room was large and the service was excellent. The food was great too always plenty of choice and all fresh!

If there was any downside it was on till 10 am and while we were eating we got told we shold have been checking out. I think a later checkout should be in place. If any thats the only down side. I would stay again but request a later checkout.

Room Tip: No swimming pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

very good extensive menu and well put together. A little pricey but worth every penny by the time you are done.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

A high standard hotel ( recommended to me by business contacts) which was a good deal more expensive than other similar hotels in Kampala- breakfast for me was extra!. The buffet was expensive and not particularly good - I only ate there out of necessity. I also had to wait over a month for my credit card to be refunded - this involved me sending a number of emails to head office in South Africa.Overall , there are better options in Kampala .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

What a nice boutique hotel - just so different from experiences in Kampala usually. Hospitality and service were first class, food and accommodation were also top class. We really enjoyed our 2-night stay. My first stop when visiting Kampala will remain the Protea Kampala Hotel.

Room Tip: Suites to be recommended but the single rooms are good too.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Having read many of the negative reviews on here, I was rather apprehensive about my stay at this hotel, however, I was pleasantly surprised by my excellent experience. I was warmly greeted by reception and acknowledged as a Prokard member on arrival. Check-in was efficient and friendly. My room was comfortable and clean. The internet was free and worked well, with a good speed connection. The food in both the restaurant and room service was excellent - tasty, warm and great value for money. I was impressed by the quality of the food as well as the attention to detail displayed by all of the staff that I had encountered. Check out was also efficient and speedy. I was very happy with my stay at this hotel which provided great value for money and a great base for business travelers to Kampala to operate from.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at the Protea for almost 2 weeks and was very pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. I did not encounter one unfriendly person during my entire stay - desk staff, housekeeping, restaurant staff were all so nice. The room was clean and comfortable with nice sized tv and good air conditioning. As others have posted, the internet can be a bit slow, but I've found this to be a problem most places I've stayed in the area- not unique to this hotel. I found the restaurant food to be quite tasty having tried breakfast lunch and dinner buffet as well as room service. The location in upscale Kololo is also nice being close to some reataurants and shopping. The hotel will also give you a ride for about 4 dollars US. Overall the experience was great. Actually quite a bit better service than I've received from similar US or European chains. I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Protea Hotel Kampala? Share your experiences!