TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Review of Hostel Khartoum

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Khartoum
Hostel Khartoum
You added Hostel Khartoum to your Saves list
House No 66, Ave 47 E(ast) | Khartoum 2, Khartoum, Sudan   |
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Not Worth It”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I waited 3 hours for anyone to arrive who was willing to help me. When the manager arrived he could not find a pen to take down my information. He showed me to a room where the lock did not work. He then grabbed the bedding off a bed and took me to another room which had not been cleaned since its last use. He dropped the bedding on the bed (without clearing the used bedding) and left me there. It was an unseasonably cool night in Khartoum such that the inefficiency of the air conditioner rendered the outside temperature cooler than the inside. The communal bathroom was beyond dirty and the water did not work in the sink.
The next morning the manager was again not to be found for several hours. When he did arrive, he gave me a letter to register and told me to come back after. I returned and he was nowhere to be found. I left over an hour later having not seen the manager again, and not looking back.
No service, dirty, and their prices have significantly risen – doubled from 35 Sudanese Pounds to 70. They offer ‘group’ rates at 50 Pounds, and I had hoped that meant a bed in a group room (on a bunk bed), but no, he would not give me a bunk nor the 50 Pound rate. Hotels are purportedly available for 80. I would opt for a cheap hotel over the Youth Hostel any day. Fortunately I couch-surfed the rest of my stay in Khartoum.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Business
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Youth Hostel (HI affiliated) is cheap and in a decent location with good bus connections to the alien registration (near the university) and downtown.
We arrived without a booking and - after pretending to be husband and wife - were given our own private dorm on the upper floor. The second night we got to move to a triple which we also had to ourselves and only paid the price for a double for. All other guests were crammed into the ladies and the gents dorms on the ground floor.
Cleanliness was an issue in both rooms. The sheets had clearly not been changed before we moved in (I found an old airplane ticket under my pillow...). The common shower was alright, the shower in the dorm not so much.
We stayed at the height of summer when aircon is a key. Unfortunately the hostel's aircon is really old and therefore very noisy. And due to the house's design the cold(er) night air cannot flow in through the opened windows. On our first night we saw most of the guests take their mattresses outside onto the lawn.
There was no breakfast or any other drink or food available. There is also no internet. If you leave the hostel to the right you'll pass a number of coffee shops and restaurants as well as an internet café (in the stationary shop).
The staff, though, is really friendly and helpful. They made sure we found the alien registration (which had moved with the Lonely Planet still showing the wrong address...) and got our photo permit. They also negotiated with tuk-tuk drivers for us so we didn't get ripped off (too much).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Khartoum? Share your experiences!