“Still as good as before - Great value for money in Dakar” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel la Croix du Sud
20 Avenue Hassan II (ex A. Sarraut), Dakar, Senegal   |
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Dakar
Africa
“Still as good as before - Great value for money in Dakar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I had stayed in this hotel on numerous previous occasions and was quite surprised by the recent negative comments. I'm just back from a trip to Dakar, and am still very happy with the level of service received at La Croix du Sud. Location is great, very friendly staff, very comfortable rooms and great Internet connection. I spend a lot of time travelling across Africa, and this hotel offers great value for money

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

I stayed here for only two nights, the second night was in a cleaner, non-carpeted room, since the carpet smelled musty. Unfortunately, it shared a very thin wall with all night partiers and the hotel management did nothing but say they were within their rights to party past 3am on a wednesday. The hotel tries, but is truly a sorry find. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Awful. I have traveled all around the world and of all the hotels this is the worst one. First of all, there was no hot water in the room. After hours of complaining and arguing the staff came to repair the pipes but they could not repair it. Then I got a different room. No water again. Then I got about 50 liters (12 gallons) of warm water. I asked for enough water to take a bath but I could not get it. I was told that 50 liters is enough to wash myself. Then I decided to move a different hotel and the staff would not refund the money. So I was stuck for 3 days in a hotel with no water. I asked whether I can at least get a discount but the staff refused my request.

No hot water was not the only problem. The room was dusty, bed linen dirty, toilet was dirty.

Never ask the staff to call a taxi for you. The guy will call his friend and his friend will charge you about 400% of what a regular taxi costs. Pick a taxi at the street and it will be much cheaper.

When we complained the staff thought we did not speak French. They started with racist remarks because two of us were interracial couple. They would tell the AA girl that she is not worth anything because she has a white male partner.

Actual hotel is nothing like the on the photos you see on the Internet.

The breakfast and the food is not good.

Pick any other hotel and you will be better off.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

The room was dusty, Bed Linen dirty, toilet no very clean. TV was not working.I was made to pay for a taxi despite a glowing commentary about the hotel having own shuttle from Airport on its website.Website pics deceptive, actual hotel a far cry from the pics shown.I checked out after one night and moved to Novotel, a 5* in comparison for the same price of $126.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

The hotel was rooms were dirty. The toilet was not clean, the towels old and soiled. The room was noisy. Bedding was old and barely intact. From a price perspective paying USD 280 for two nights given the facilities is exorbitant.
The breakfast was skimpy, some bread rolls, boiled eggs, cheese wedges with butter and some jam that was it. I am a regular traveler across Africa and as said the second worst hotel I've stayed in. My thoughts are share by my colleague who even tried for an upgraded room but found the same.
The positive, the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

When I travel for business I have not the same expectations as when I backpack... So I generally forget about charm to look for functionnality first. This Hotel as both!
Very nice staff, clean, well located, good wi fi, quiet even if centrally located...but above all, and amazing style, architectural flare, mid-century modern, neo-colonial charm!!!

I will go back there in a blink!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

I was in Dakar for a week, and started at the Sofitel. After four days I had tired of the pool, and was looking to save some money. This hotel is just around the corner, and was less than 1/2 price with continental breakfast thrown in (CFA5500 versus CFA115000). The location is great - steps from the square a good French restaurant in the building. Rooms are huge - almost suite like - and the staff is quite helpful. Internet bandwidth is better here (with free wifi in the room) than the Sofitel. More street noise here, but that isn't a problem for me. Recommended!

• Stayed October 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel la Croix du Sud? Share your experiences!