“King Fahd Palace - Dakar” 1 of 5 stars
Review of King Fahd Palace

Save Saved
You added King Fahd Palace to your Saves list
King Fahd Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route des Almadies, Dakar NA, Senegal (Formerly Le Meridien President)   |
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Dakar
Johannesburg, South Africa
“King Fahd Palace - Dakar”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I would not advise anybody to use the King Fahd Palace, the cleanliness of the room although acceptable left much to be desired and there was a roach running around on the counter and there was a musty odor coming from the carpets.

Upon arrival, I was kept waiting for well over 30 minutes before being attended to.

With regard to my payment they reserved an initial amount of my credit card. I checked out of the hotel early and meaning that I paid much less than the initial amount reserved. Upon requesting them to cancel the initial reserved amount they claimed that it could only be cancelled on my banks side despite my bank stating that it had to be done on their side.

I would not use this hotel unless I really have to again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Having stayed the previous month at the Radisson Blu in Dakar, I was disappointed by the King Fahd Hotel, which I chose because I was attending a meeting being held there. The general facilities (other than the room) and attitude of the staff were fine, but the room was fairly pedestrian for the price being charged. I had to ask to have tea and coffee making facilities put in the room. The bed was often not made up until late in the day. A bit over-priced - perhaps because of the convenience of the location to the westernmost point of Africa, the airport and some of the diplomatic missions. If you are attending a conference there, it is a long way (30-40 minutes) to go to and from the main hotels in the business district of Dakar.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel's facilities were nice, and the room was quite comfortable. However, we had a number of problems at this hotel. Of note, I have never entered a negative review of any hotel.

1. The hotel emailed me a few weeks in advance. They said they were full and therefore needed to put a hold on my credit card in order to hold the room for me. I did this and received a confirmation of the booking. The hotel understood that we were arriving in the wee hours of the morning and had our flight info. Many of my colleagues did the same.

2. When we arrived at 1:30 AM (as scheduled), the hotel was full. They took us to a far inferior hotel at 2:30 AM. All of us had meetings the next morning.

3. On day we checked out, they charged us the full price for our initial night's stay as if we had stayed at the King Fahd. I was told that there was not a manager in the entire hotel at that time.

4. They would not give me a receipt for my accommodation. When I pressed further, they said they would email me. It has been 10 days, no email. I am waiting to hear an email response.

5. They have also not responded to any of my colleagues who have emailed.

6. The conference center is very large, but there were very limited signs to explain where to go. For the first couple of days, there were many, many lost conference-goers.

7. The name tags were not organized in any way. After spending a good 15 minutes looking for my name tag, they asked me to add my name to a long list of people who could not find their name tags. There were three people behind me in line for this paper. They told me to come back later. I returned two hours later, and I went through the same thing again. I was then told to go and have it printed, which took another 15-20 minutes.

8. Lastly, I ate some yogurt in the hotel's restaurant during one of the last days of the conference. After I had eaten some of it, I thought it tasted odd. It was quite expired. I spent the next 30 hours in my room and in my bathroom.

Stuttgart
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

If you need to be by the US Embassy or just out from the rest of the city then this is the place to be though it is a cab ride to downtown or anywhere else for that matter. Note that the hotel has recently changed its name but that the old appearance and deterioating infrastructure is still the same. Hotel restaurants are poor - average quality at a rather expensive cost, the pool side pizzas seemed to be the only safe fare, provided you can get by the slow inattentive service. Rooms all seem to have a view of the ocean (adjacent to the hotel but not a swimming beach) but are rather old and need updating. Gym is fairly well equipped but rather small.

kigali
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is right next to the US embassy and 20mins by car from town. It is huge and must once have been great. The views over the ocean and the pool area are nice. Breakfast is good. Now for the rest - the rooms are moldy, after 5 days there all my clothes in the closet smelled musty. There's a smell of stale smoke everywhere, the bathrooms are dirty (I borrowed cleaning materials and did it myself), the air cons don't work properly, the gym is gross and the service slow. If you can, stay at the Radisson!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea over the pool area
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hotel was good,rooms were very large but probably a bit tired and needing refurbishment. A/C system needs updating. Security was good and staff very pleasant in all areas. Very good pool and pool bar area.
Breakfast very varied and alot of choice.
Hotel shops very over priced.

Room Tip: Front of hotel, great ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here for business in April 2013.

For the first few nights, I was in a room on the first floor facing the parking lot. I quietly and nicely asked for an upgrade each day. They kept telling me that they were full and to keep asking. On the 3rd day, they promptly moved me to the 6th floor facing the ocean. INCREDIBLE!

Yes, the rooms are dated a bit but with the environment surrounding the King Fahd and the pool area, and the golf course which parts of stick right out into the ocean, who needs to be in their room that much! The internet is spotty but during the worst times, i would bring my laptop to the lobby area and wifi was always available. I would say in the room, I had acess about 75 % of the time so be aware it is spotty at times. My shower was always hot and with good pressure.

BIG cost savings tip: upon my movement to a higher floor brought a stocked minibar with VERY HIGH prices. I asked the front desk to take the minibar away (I did not trust myself!) and in 10 minutes, they sent someone to my room and they cleaned out the minibar. I then used the fridge to stock fruit and yogurt etc. from the breakfast buffet. Breakfast is an add on of about $20 US funds but well worth it as they make eggs to order and omelettes. Tons of fruit, fresh crepes, bacon, bread, and everything else you can imagine.

Another cost savings tip, if you drink soda or water from the bar or pool area, they will cost you about $4 to $5 US funds each. I started visiting the local stand RIGHT across the street with the Coca Cola signs all over it. Sodas were 80cents and waters were 60c each!!!!!!! This hotel was a great place to walk from (the surrounding neighborhood is part mansions and part dirt poor shacks) but SAFE always during the day. At night, you need to either take a taxi or stay on hotel grounds. Just a tip. All in all, we had 1 pickpocket attempt but foiled due to us keeping our wallets in front pockets, and we had a few guys approach us very friendly like and try to say their wife had just given birth or they had just gotten married and that we should help them out. Just be polite or try to ignore these folks and they peel away from you qucikly if you are firm. If you show interest or curiosity or hold an item they hand you, you are in for some pestering. All in all, very walk friendly area if in group of 2 or more and very safe (even though it may not look it!).

Hotel has a great walking loop of 2 km that brings you around the ocean and to the sides of hotel and around the front. Bring walking shoes or sneakers! AWESOME stay! Management, security, staff, and front desk were wonderful!

Room Tip: if you are 1st floor or have a parking lot view then just keep politely asking for an upgrade to oce...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to King Fahd Palace? Share your experiences!