“Ideal location in town and Safety” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pullman Dakar Teranga

You added Pullman Dakar Teranga to your Saves list
Pullman Dakar Teranga
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Rue Colbert | Place de L' Independance, Dakar 3380, Senegal (Formerly Sofitel)   |
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Dakar
Tangier, Morocco
“Ideal location in town and Safety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

When you arrive in front of this hotel you discover that gates and guards at the entrance are there for your safety and that is really good news nowadays!after the charm begins with very nice surroundings, luxurious settings and welcoming approach from the personnal !the bedrooms are airconditionned , very well cleaned and very comfortable.The Lagon restaurant is a real pleasure as also this inside for the breakfast ! the bar offers everything you need in a relaxing and sympathic atmosphere and taxis are waiting for you outside! a delicate attention for women : the taxi sister driven by nice ladies ! I used it during 2 hours with Maj my driver,a real pleasure!

Room Tip: You must require a bedroom facing the ocean on a high floor as numbers 505,605,705,805,905( good tip...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
PULLMAN T, General Manager at Pullman Dakar Teranga, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Jeannick,

Your comments are helpful for us in order to improve continually our quality.

We are very happy to know that you have passed a good stay and you enjoyed services quality offered by our staff.

We look forward waiting you soon in Pullman Dakar Teranga,

Your sincerely.

Alain THOMAS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Abuja, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Had a nice stay and warm welcome, good food, nice view of the ocean, happy people, close to the presidential palace, smiling security men (now this is a first!), mixed environment - the good, the bad the ugly all in one place ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Room:

Where do I start with the room review? The first, second, third, or fourth? Even at a rate of 100,000 CFA, I was supposed to be relegated to a “city view” room but had been “upgraded” to an ocean view. This was going to be great…or so I thought. First room, I lasted all of 10 minutes in. It was somewhere around 25C in the room, even with the aircon cranked up to the max. Went to the desk to ask, and they immediately offered to move me. Ok, second room was just a bit down the hall…and had a broken deadbolt as well as being warm and absolutely reeking of body odour. No way. Moved down one floor to room #3 and it was finally tolerable. Maybe only 22C, semi-functional air conditioning, with only a slight smell of smoke and must.

Of course, after four days, the safe battery died. They promised for two days they would replace it, but eventually admitted that they didn’t know how, and would I like to move rooms? Room four was actually just a bit further down the hall, but had the best view of the ocean. Similar to room three in smell and temperature, it was barely tolerable. Maybe other rooms are better, but I came to the eventual conclusion that the beds are very comfortable, all the rooms have a musty, smokey, unpleasant smell to them, frequent stains on the carpet, and are barely cool enough to be tolerable. Overall, if I’d had another choice based on rooms I’d have been out of there in an instant.

Rooms did had a few upsides. Free bottled water, juice, diet coke, etc in the fridge…when they remembered to restock it. Plus, all rooms came with complimentary condoms, lol.

Service:

Everyone I encountered was very friendly. There were a few staff at the front desk that were very helpful (which was needed for the frequent room issues that popped up) but there were also several younger people at the front desk with “trainee” tags. Most of these didn’t even smile, and just gave nods when you asked anything. Overall, it was pretty typical west Africa where when they tell you they can/will do something, you stand about a 50% chance of it actually happening. Everyone was friendly though, so I’d say service attempts were above average, but delivery frequently was short. English skills I didn’t really experience since my French was better than their English, but they did seem to speak enough that they could easily help you in English.

Location:

The big plus, I thought. Walkable to a great grocery store about 5-10 minutes away, lots of taxis, several good restaurants in walking distance, and seemed to be in a pretty safe area. I walked around a lot, even at night, and didn’t have a single problem or ever feel unsafe in the least. Also, if you have business with the government, it’s right downtown in the Plateau area near many of the ministries, so very convenient.

One other note on location. It’s in the downtown, and it’s quite clear that prostitution and sex work is common in this area. I saw several working ladies (and a couple of pretty obvious working boys) coming and going with older gentlemen, and there were lots of signs around the hotel about being on the lookout for trafficking of minors for sex. I also heard one man check-in and ask if he could pay for “just a few hours.” The hotel didn’t feel seedy, but hallways weren’t all that well lit, and this combination of factors made it feel just the right amount of “edgy” if you want a more “real” experience. The thing that bothered me most was on a couple of occasions having women knocking on my door a few minutes after returning asking if I wanted company.

Transportation:

There is a free shuttle to the airport, and it’s supposed to be coordinated with flights, but when I landed the driver (who was waiting) said it would be 45 minutes until he left. Other offer was to negotiate a taxi for me, which I took him up on. He got me a rate of 5,000 CFA without me having to deal with the touts, so that was nice. The schedule back to the airport was very clearly posted in the lobby, so I would have used that on the way back. There were also plenty of taxis at the hotel. Hint, do not take the ones parked inside the gate – they will always insist on 1-2,000 CFA more than outside. Of course, the very same drivers camp outside every morning too, so if they get you on the first day, you’re either going to walk a bit to find another or be stuck with your first day rate. That said, they were cheap and available.

Breakfast:

Only had it one day, the first, because I hadn’t gotten groceries yet. First off, let’s get to the price: 13,000 CFA and there was no choice. It was that or nothing. You could get room service coffee for 3,000 CFA, but even that felt a bit extortionate. That said, there was a decent selection on the buffet, but certainly nothing amazing. Definitely not amazing enough I considered going back after the first day. Lots of fruits, cheeses, pastries, etc, as well as some rather sad looking deli meats. Coffee was adequate, but was also self-service.

Restaurants / Bars:

Had a couple beers in the Flamboyant Bar, mainly because I’d been walking around all day and an ice cold beer sounded great. They were only 2,000 CFA which was a good price for full-service, so can’t complain there. Bar seemed dead most nights, with a pretty cheesy lounge act. Dinner was in the same place as breakfast, but I never ate there. The two nights I got back from work too late to consider going out I ordered room service, which was reasonably priced, although portions were a little on the small side. For example, I ordered two club sandwiches and a deli plate just to be full. Most annoying: the hotel was completely devoid of ketchup. Since I consider it a life-essentially, this really ticked me off. That said, all this food was under 25,000 CFA.

Pool / Gym / Facilities:

Pool looked quite nice, and was located about a five minute walk from the hotel right on the beach, but I never had a chance to use it. There was a gym next to the pool, but it was rather expensive at over 10,000 CFA a day, and most days by the time I got back I was too tired to even consider it. As far as other facilities, there was an ATM in the lobby that worked every time I needed it, and there was also a car rental booth and small gift shop in the lobby. There was also a great Casino grocery store (open until 8pm) located a 5-10 minute walk away that had anything you might need. The minibar was big enough to store a reasonable amount, so this was a great option to have.

Overall Review:

An adequate option, based on the fact I stayed there the full nine nights I had booked without needing to explore other options. It’s far far far from the best option in town…but priced the same as other options. I’d say the big plus was location, and the big minus was the room condition. View and bed were great, but the smell, temperature, and general shabbiness just made me uncomfortable. Basically, if you have a better choice take it, but you can make this place be good enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PULLMAN T, General Manager at Pullman Dakar Teranga, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear mister,
We want first of all to thank you for your useful comments on Pullman Dakar Teranga. Your positive comments encourage us to persist and reward our teams of their efforts. However, we took due note of your observations which are going to allow us to recover in reason and will also serve d ’ tool to ameliorate our benefits to guarantee you a better quality of service. Concerning the state of the product bring to room temperature a renovation of the hotel am envisaged for very shortly.
sincerely yours

Alain Thomas
The Manager
Libreville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Spent a few days at the Pullman in February 2013 on business. The Pullman is a decent hotel but one cant help feeling the hotel used to and could be a whole lot more. Not to say that its a bad hotel by any stretch. Its large enough and frequented by a wide mix of nationalities. During my stay, I had no complaints about the quality of service and the food (room service and restaurant) was ok. The rooms are carpeted and do feel a bit dated. There is a modern TV but not much to watch in English (this is a French speaking country after all). My room was cleaned daily and I didn't have any problems with hygiene. I had a cold at the time so didn't try to use the air conditioning or other facilities (gym, etc). The location was adequate (15 mins or so drive from the airport at night) and you can easily get to the quay for the ferry to Ile de Goree on a day out. All in all, an average stay but again one gets the feeling the hotel could be a whole lot more interesting if they tried harder. A 3 star (or max 4 star if feeling generous) experience and I would stay again if in the region.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PULLMAN T, Directeur général at Pullman Dakar Teranga, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Madam, Sir,
We thank you for having taken time to write us following your stay to the Pullman Dakar Teranga and took well note of your comments.
We are proud to count you among our faithful customers and plan to continue to satisfy you until the renovation of the hotel which is very expected soon.
In fact, the Direction and all the employees are conscious of the outdatedness of the hotel. On the other hand, you can always count on the heat, as well as the professionalism of the staff to assure you a high-level and personalized service.
Looking forward waiting you soon,

Sincerely Yours

The Direction
Vail, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I loved the location of the hotel. It was located right next to the president's house and many places to eat are in walking distance from here. The pool was a great feature and it looks right onto the ocean. This hotel reminds me of many big name hotels in the states. The laundry here was pretty pricey but what hotel doesn't have pricey laundry? They do treat it pretty rough though. While it came back clean, some damage was done to a few pieces of my clothes as well as my friend's clothes including staple holes. The service is pretty good as well. All of the staff was friendly. The room cleaning service was hit or miss though because sometimes they would give us enough towels and other days we would only get a few new clean towels but if this would happen, we would call the front desk and more towels would be given to us in 20 minutes. Food was expensive here but good. Best bed of my life and the rooms do come with safes and a fridge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PULLMAN T, Directeur général at Pullman Dakar Teranga, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Madam,

We thank you for having chosen our hotel as your stay in Dakar and for having set of your time to write us.
Our staff is very sensitive to your comments and very happy to know that you have passed an excellent stay.
We apologize for the quality of the laundry service and assure you that our housekeeper took
all the necessary measures with the laundry so that the same thing does not reproduce any more.
We appreciate your sharing and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sincerely yours.

Alain Thomas
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel a week for business and I have to say it really is a bad hotel. The air conditioning was leaking water on the floor, my laundry was nt delivered on time, the hotel lost some my luggage in their storage and then asked me to pay for its return and this was after I spent 2,000 euro there. Radisson Blu is mug better having visited there one night for dinner. Try and avoid this hotel it is a dump.

• Stayed July 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I'd be more inclined to cut a hotel some slack for being in a developing economy, but having been in some great hotels in places like Amman or Lusaka or Tbilisi, I can't. The Pullman isn't a bad place, but I wouldn't call it spectacular.

Relatively easy check in and every time I needed something, the service had been pretty good. The rooms, though, are pretty well worn. First, in the bathroom, it looks very run down and old - I'd suggest new shower doors that separate the entire shower from the rest of the bathroom (these showers have a half door that covers the front part of the shower, but it's still easy to get the rest of the bathroom wet when showering, especially while trying to avoid getting any water in the mouth - which you do not want to drink or brush teeth with).

Also, I saw a hair in the bathroom which made me think it wasn't cleaned up quite as well as it could've been. The bed is nice and soft, but the bed cover/sheet is pretty heavy and I'm guessing its made of polyester - it was easy to start itching and easy to get hot in the bed.

I think the Pullman is probably just a little bit of renovation and investment in the rooms to bumping this up to a four rating. Just a few improvements,and it would be worth staying at again if I make it back to Dakar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PULLMAN T, General Manager at Pullman Dakar Teranga, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having chosen Pullman Dakar Teranga for your stay in Dakar, also for sparring your time to write us. Your comments are helpful for us in order to improve continually our quality.
We are sorry that the service and the product weren’t as high as your expectations and ask you to accept our most sincere apologies.
Our housekeeping and all our staff can assured you that all the necessary measures are implemented to improve the quality of services.
Concerning the outdatedness of our product, a renovation of the hotel is planned for very soon.
And let us remain always avid to offer you the best quality of service for your stays.
I look forward waiting you soon in Pullman Dakar Teranga,