“Good hotel and Friendly Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fleur de Lys Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dakar
Fleur de Lys Hotel
You added Fleur de Lys Hotel to your Saves list
Almadies, Dakar, Senegal   |
Ranked #19 of 71 Dakar B&B and Inns
Sliema, Malta
“Good hotel and Friendly Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I go once a month for business and I'm always pleased with it. The hotel is clean and the beds are comfortable. Wi-Fi is always working well and the food at the restaurant is honest. I had tomato sauce on my last white shirt before taking off to the airport and the waiter magically make it disappear with a special trick!!! My boarding pass is always printed from the desk downstairs and gives it to me with a smile.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Checked in and was not impressed with the cleanness of the hotel. But I thaught I will just tough it out for the few days I was in Dakar. The next day though I found cockoraches in my room which is directly under the breakfast area. Yukks! When I complained about the problem I focused on the receptionsts' faces to see if they would look surpriised. Well, they were not. But I learned how to say cockoroach in French so I guess this is something.

When I checked out the credit card machine was not working and I did not have other means to pay! This is not all -- they had the manual credit card device "copier" in their office at the airport, so I was told I needed to go to the airport to do the transaction and since I was checking out but not leaving the country this was a problem.

Bottomline, if you don't mind cleanness and having cockoraches crowling around, this hotel is not a bad place. But, I don't know how the World this hotel is a four-star hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

The Fleur de Lys has two big advantages: the panoramic views from the 5th floor restaurant, and the rooftop swimming pool.
Connectivity is all right. Cable TV is mostly in French and Arabic.
Excellent for those who need to be close to the airport; not so good for those with business in the city center. Opposite the UN country office, easy walking distance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the Fleur de Lys for most of our 12 day visit to Dakar. The hotel is relatively new, clean and comfortable. It comes with a complete breakfast buffet on a lovely shaded terrace on the 5th floor with a great view over the Dakar region. The manager went to college in the US and speaks good English, the rest of the staff somewhat less so. Much of the clientele seem to be from NGOs getting settled into Dakar, some of them are in residence for weeks or months.

The only real drawback of the hotel is that it is somewhat expensive relative to other hotels in the area, especially if you are not on USAID or other discounted rates (try bargaining a little). Also, the credit card machine is problematic so you may need to pay in cash - a common experience in Senegal where credit cards are not widely accepted. We did not have enough cash and the hotel was willing to wait for a wire transfer from the US after we left. So they are friendly and accommodating in that way.

The Almadies area is out the peninsula from central Dakar. If you had a lot of meetings in central Dakar, then you would probably want to stay in one of the hotels there. If you are just visiting, then the Almadies area is a good choice - many restaurants, proximity to the beach in N'gor, and very close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fleur de Lys Hotel? Share your experiences!