“2nd time around!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast

You added SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast
Ouest Foire, Cite Africa, Unit 13 | Close to Airport/Beach/Downtown!, Dakar, Senegal   |
Offers & Announcements
SenegalStyle TOURS 3 pepl
Ranked #4 of 59 Dakar B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“2nd time around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I came back just to get her weird but wonderful cheeseburgers and bananna pancakes for breakfast! I stayed b4 and had a great time but only had one day/night to spare this time. Although my job paid for my room, i left the day befor the last day to visit Sineta again and take a day tour. She's still the same and her guide Ali was great.
Like she always says, it's all good in the hood! I'm leaving 2night with more good memories of Senegal. Thanks again Sineta and i hope you are pleasantly surprised to see this review.

Room Tip: The 1st room is big - the bed is made from bull's horns she designed it along with the dressers...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I came back 2 Senegal after studying in the US. I want to take some time 2myself b4 going back 2my village. Sineta & Jonathan r very nice and she is GOOD COOK! Best hamburger tous du monde!

Room Tip: I had a big clean room w/bathroom & shower. Very nice!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Lund, Skane Lan, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I came to Senegal to volunteer at 10,000girls.org a girls education project based in Segou village, 14 hours from Dakar. I was met at the airport by Jonathan from SenegalStyle Airport Pickup Service and he handled everything for me before I got to the guesthouse! He bought me a local phone number, got my money changed and we arrived by taxi to Sineta's place less than 15 minutes after I came out of the arrivals gate!

The next day I woke up, had a great breakfast and went on a wonderful city tour with Sineta and the following day to Goree Island with Ali, her very funny tour guide!

By the way, I advise any long term volunteer coming to Senegal to do what I did. Take a few days in Dakar to get yourself together after the flight, do a couple of tours and get to know the city and adjust to your new surroundings THEN go onto the village, especially if you have a long car or bus trip to get there. It will keep you from getting burned out knowing that you can always go back to Dakar on the weekend, go to the beach, get some decent food (fish and rice every day in the village, sometimes, no fish!) watch American tv and hang out with Sineta and the tourists coming thru the guesthouse. I personally saw some volunteers that were very worn-out after being stuck in villages for months on end, when all they had to do was take a vacation at SenegalStyle!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Deinze, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Watch out!!!! This place is a ripoff

We reserved a room for one night (twoo month in advance) for the last week of October 2011. She wanted to sell us an amount of other activities around that we didn't wanted: organised trips to many places a pick up from the airport etc. At the end we paid 56 euro as advance for 1 night and to be picked at the airport.
A week before going I send a email confirming again our reservation. A day before living we got a phone call that our room was not free because overbooking. She was going to place us in another hotel. When we arrive at Dakar airport, there was a person waiting for us. He didn't want to get us to Senegalstyle.

They drive us with a taxi to a horrible hotel in a sinister part of Dakar. We decided dat we didnt want to stay there! We got then a taxi and had to look around 9pm for another hotel.

The same evening she phone me to say that she would send de money back. Its now twoo month ago and she didn't send anything back!!!!

After being in Senegal I make a resume from her organised trips.

First of all airport picking: my experience shows me that at the airport if you go around the corner (where the taxis are) you can get very easily to anywhere in Dakar for 5000 CFA. If you are a dye hard and you bargain enough you can go till 2500 CFA. (I did it once). Anyway, with a bit of bargaining they are in a row to bring you to the centre of Dakar for 3000 CFA. She asks 25 euro!!! This is 16250 CFA. More than 3 times the price of the rate with what they call in Senegal "l'effet Toubab.(tourist price)

The trip to Goree: she asks 80 euro: this is 52000 CFA.

I make my account: a trip with a taxi from anywhere in Dakar to de embarquement: 1000 CFA.

A two way ticket with the boat to Goree: 5000 CFA. The entrance tax to Goree: 500 CFA. A guide in Goree: 8000 CFA A taxi back to the hotel: 1000 CFA. This is 15500 CFA. (23 euro) She asks 80 euro per person. Supposing that I organise the trip for only 1 person this is 36500 CFA (56 euro)of pure gain. More than 100 %. And this is just supposing that you are organising for 1 person. A taxi can take 4 passengers, a guide can guide more than 4 persons at a time. This multiplies the gain to a unethical levels.

So watch out!!.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sineta G, Owner at SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
We were overbooked and I called him long distance, in his home country before he got on an airplane to come here, apologized profusely and made alternative accommodations for him. He was refunded October 22, 2011, his room accommodation at a hotel around the corner from us was paid for by me personally and I will be happy to send you the paypal statement as proof.

As for the rest of the assertions in the review, our rates are clearly listed in the SenegalStyle Tours section and our Goree Island fees have been running on a banner since August of 2011 and still is. The price has not changed since last summer.

With regard to airport pickup service, 99% of the people using our service are anglophone (English speakers) and we take them not only to our place but any other hotel/place in Dakar. They are met by a bilingual guide that speaks not only English, Spanish and French fluently, but also Japanese and Arabic.

This reviewer speaks french fluently and can freely negotiate with taxi drivers. My guests/customers do not have this time as most flights from the US come in the middle of the night - nor do they have the language skills necessary if they chose this option.

That is why they hire us and the rate is €23 not €25. Out of the €23 we are purchasing a long distance phone card to keep in touch with our visitors, middle of the night taxi service to the airport for our guide, from the airport to our guesthouse or other location, and taxi service for our guide to go back to his home.

It's not a ripoff, it's a bargain!
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Thank you Sineta, Johnathan, Ali and Pape for a wonderful stay in Dakar. Thank you for all the local tours to the marche, the African Renaissance Statue and the Three Islands. You gave me the real local feel of Dakar.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have finally had the opportunity to check off “ Visit Senegal” off my bucket list. Visiting Senegal was finally a dream come true. My concerns about exploring Senegal as a “tourist” were alleviated, when my sister discovered SenegalStyle Guest House. Staying at Senegal Style would afford us the opportunity to visit Senegal while immersed in the culture. Waking up to the sound of fish vendors peddling the day’s catch, watching the neighborhood ladies, all dignified in their colorful clothes was priceless. In addition to the cultural immersion it offered, Senegal Style conversely, helped us understand the culture, the tour of the city was very special as was the tour of Leopold Senghor’s home town, the village of shells. We were given a guided tour of the market where I bought beautiful fabrics which were turned into magnificent clothes by the tailor from across the street.
Sineta Georges was a great hostess, whose morning sweet tea, was a well anticipated treat. Staying at Senegal Style also gave us the opportunity to make instant friends and hang out partners. No one would have guessed that the eclectic group of tourists grooving to Youssou N’Dour had just met at Senegal Style. I will be eternally grateful to Sineta and Jonathan of Senegal Style for making our trip to Senegal a dream come true.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We were very happy to have come across SenegalStyle on the internet. From our first emails with Sineta, she was responsive and helpful. Her home was pleasant-- in a nice neighbourhood with roof access overlooking the skyline and within walking distance of Yoff beach (which we enjoyed on a daily basis). Sineta’s cooking was perfect after long, hot, enjoyable days out; the homemade chimi changas were delicious and breakfasts were just right (loved the tea). We felt well cared for as their guests: had we encountered any difficulties during our stay we feel that Sineta would have had our back (we did not encounter any problems, however). A warm, homey place where we could come and go freely and where we met many other interesting and fun guests (including the owner)-- just what we were looking for. We would definitely go back. Thanks Sineta and Jonathan!

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sineta G, Owner at SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hello and GREETINGS from SenegalStyle!

It was our pleasure as well to host you and your husband Shelly and thanks so much for the warm review! When you need a little R&R (and get out of Nariobi for a minute!) we'll be here to assist!

Oh, and by the way, if you were wondering ebola is NOT in Senegal at all. The news media is making it seem like ALL of West Africa is affected and that's simply not true for many other countries as well, particularly in the case of Senegal.

The borders were closed months ago as soon as it hit the news about Guinea. The Senegalese government is ON IT - really, especially with regard to health related issues. Even the HIV/AIDS rate is low 0.5% and the medications (retrovirals) are free - in fact, so is kidney dialysis!

Take care!

SenegalStyle

Been to SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!