“Doesnt live up to its hype!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Bistro, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Doesnt live up to its hype!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

A few nights ago I went to this restaurant expecting a lot from what I had heard and read in reviews. One thing that struck me though about the place is that I can with conviction say it is the only restaurant in Kigali I have been to that the wait staff (at least the male wait staff) come closest in service to what good service should be. They are attentive, polite and quick. Unfortunately when the food came, which it did quickly, one order was wrong but that was quickly corrected. Meanwhile all time we were there we had noticed the chef / owner who people rave about sitting at the bar. I wondered who was making our meal. We had the beef and salmon. The salmon was good. The beef however tasted very odd and actually sort of off. I didn't not eat it and the waiter said he would speak to the chef. I had expected the chef to come and talk to us about it or to be asked if I wanted to replace my meal with something else. Well the chef didn't bother to come and talk to us and I did not get to replace my meal for something else. Contrary to reviews that say the chef gives good advise on food, in our experience we did not get any prior food advise or explanation about the strange beef taste. It's therefore safe to conclude that the chef chooses who he shall advise and who he shall talk to which is disappointing. The whole time we were there, we did not see the chef talk to any diners at all. We did not have dessert. Just paid the bill and left. I'm not sure I shall go back there again......

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kigali, Rwanda
“Presently Kigali's best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The restaurant is run by a Belgian-French cook that offers typical French dishes with an Arican touch. The enu is very different from the standard Belgian colonial dishes offered in other up-market restaurants in Kigali. Service is relatively fast - considering that one has to wait at least one hour before the first course is served in Rwandan restaurants. Waiters demonstrate that even Rwandans can run if needed!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
SC Brasil
“Delicious and a great chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Is a nice surprise to find a so lovely restaurant in Kigali.
The menu is very well elaborated.
The place is lovely, not to big but with a great atmosphere.
Cuisine Française but with a local taste.
The chef - owner looks around and gives you good advice.
always with news propositions and food.
The service is good but could be improved...

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
El Dorado KS
“The whole experience of it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was so happy to be in Rwanda, which made any dining great, so that has influence on this review. Beautiful place out on the patio. We ate lunch here and the whole experience was great. It was a very relaxing place to eat lunch while in the busy city.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kigali, Rwanda
“Wonderful French cuisine in Kigali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

L'epicurien is our first choice restaurant in Kigali. The food is superb, the service friendly and quick, and the setting relaxing. It's our favorite spot for a date night or to bring friends from out of town. The duck and beef are particularly excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere