“Excellent staff and amazing chapatis!” 5 of 5 stars

Mubwiza Courts
KG 688 | kacyiru kigali, Kigali 34433, Rwanda   |
Ranked #5 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Kigali
New York City, New York
“Excellent staff and amazing chapatis!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Mubwiza is a simple, comfortable guest house quite near the main business areas of Kigali. The long front porch, on which you can enjoy your generous complimentary breakfast, has a fantastic view across one of Kigali's many valleys. And Rose, it's manager, is just wonderful. She's friendly and warm, and works incredibly hard to ensure guests have everything they need. Be sure to ask Rose to help you connect with a local taxi driver (as many don't have English or French) who will be prompt and give you a good rate! Other perks include that the internet is fast, and shower water pressure is strong. Oh, and the chapatis that came with our breakfast are, bar none, the best I've ever eaten. (Having worked around East Africa for years you can trust that I've eaten a LOT of chapatis in my day!) Mubwiza's are fluffy, not too greasy, and delicious.

The place is not trying to be fancy, and does have the feel of a B&B. It's just a clean, quiet, and comfortable house. The private room-with-bathroom that I occupied for three nights was plenty big enough for two if I'd been with my partner. My colleague's equivalent room had a VERY soft (saggy) mattress that he found not conducive to good sleep, but mine was fine. For the price, it was very satisfactory for me, someone who wants to be able to sleep OK, access emails without horrible frustration, and wash my long hair under a hot shower that's more than a dribble.

Overall, Mubwiza was quite comfortable and will be my home-away-from-home in Kigali from now on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I spent some time at Mubwiza Courts during a month long trip to Rwanda in October this year. It is in a wonderful location with superb views of Kigali, which looked especially good at night while relaxing on the balcony. During both my visits to the hotel, I was looked after in true African style by my hosts, who saw to my every need! Nothing was too much trouble for them, and they were always on hand to ensure that everything was just perfect for me during my stay. The food was exquisite and freshly prepared by their wonderfully talented chef and the menu had plenty to choose from. All the staff were so friendly and helpful, but I have to make a special mention to the manger Rose. The attention she gave to me, and the other guests during my stay was first class, and we were very obviously her top priority, always greeted by her beautiful smile and willingness to help. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a spacious, comfortable, clean and peaceful haven, away from the noise and bustle of Kigali, at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This place feels like a B&B with it's location inside a house. The rooms were small, the nightstand lamp had no bulb and the bathroom could use a good scrubbing. The view from the front of the house is wonderful and looks upon the main hill in Kigali. The food was sub-par and many things on their menu were not available. Make sure to order at least an hour ahead of when you want to eat. The staff is what makes this place enjoyable. They welcomed us to their establishment and packed us breakfast to go and had it ready for our ridiculously early 4:30am departure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I've lived and travelled in Africa for four years, and affordable accommodations are extremely hard to find. On a recent trip to Rwanda, I decided to try out Mubwiza Courts, as it was one of the few places within my price range and because I wanted my own private room and bathroom, which Discover Rwanda Youth Hostel does not provide. I'm glad I chose Mubwiza. The rooms are simple but clean. It's not far from the center of town and is near the U.S. Embassy. By far, the greatest selling point of the place: the staff! Everyone I interacted with there was incredibly nice, welcoming, and accommodating. Bertha, the owner, greets guests and makes them feel at home. She gave me her cell phone number in case I needed help giving taxis directions. Rose manages the place most of the time and I've never encountered anyone as helpful, friendly, and welcoming as she is. Even when I had to wake her up at 2am to open the gate for me, she still had a smile on her face.

The downside: There is no fan or AC in the room, and the ventilation wasn't great, so the room was a little stuffy at times. But Kigali cools off at night, so opening your window (assuming there's proper ventilation) is usually sufficient. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the main street where you can catch a taxi, but the neighborhood is safe and the staff can also call a taxi to pick you up at the hotel. I also appreciated having some ear plugs; the hotel is quiet, but because you'll most likely want to leave your window open for ventilation, noises outside may wake you up in the morning.

All in all, I would definitely stay there again, mostly because of the people I met there and because it's the best value for money in that price range. If you're looking for affordable accommodations in Kigali, especially if you want your own room and bathroom (which some of the competitors don't provide), then this is your best bet!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've been to Kigali several times, and this hotel made my experience the best it has ever been. Mubwiza Courts is an oasis inside of Kigali with warm service, nice rooms, and a large front yard to sit for a long breakfast, play board games or simply enjoy the view. It's the best place to stay at a great value; I'll be staying here on every return trip to Kigali!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night and were really impressed with the high quality facilities and service. We stayed in a dorm which was modern, spacious and clean, and had a balcony with a lovely view of Kigali. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us. We would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kigali.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The owner and staff were very welcoming, Everything I needed was there. A real home from home. A quiet and peaceful place to stay, the rooms are very comfortable, it's convenient for Kigali city, the place is far enough away to relax and unwind, without the noise from Kigali city centre.
If I'm in Kigali I will be returning, I guess that says it all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mubwiza Courts? Share your experiences!