“Very clean & very good service” 4 of 5 stars

The Manor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nyarutarama | Nyarutarama, Kigali, Rwanda   |
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Kigali
London
“Very clean & very good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have nothing bad to say, stayed there in October 2011. Bear in mind, I had two different rooms and none of them seemed to have hot water, just mention it if this happens to you (I didn't mind as it was luke warm anyway) - I had an issue with my bill which I had paid in advance and needed a refund (my fault, not the hotels fault) - what really impressed me was the efficiency how they dealed with this, they had to refund $ 750.00 and sorted it out there and then without asking un-neccessary questions. I thought 'well done guys, that would probably taken much longer anywhere else'. I would stay there again, good value for money and a lovely view - watch the sun set at 6pm from the terrace, it's very nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed 1 night in deluxe room- hotel picked us up from Kigali airport and took us the short ride to the hotel. Its situated in a good area with lots of Embassies etc but all of Kigali seems to be clean and well looked after. The room was average sized and pretty well appointed - standard 4 star level I guess.The hotels best point is the great view that you can enjoy from the pool and bar outside area where there is waiter service -drinks are reasonably priced and service was always with a smile - like all over Rwanda everyone seems to speak good English which was a help for us.Its seemed to cater mostly to locals - business people and tourists but no other Westerners that we saw- however for the price a good bet. We did have drinks at the Des Mille Collines and that by contrast was full of western tourists with high prices to match.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at the Manor Hotel Kigali for the first two nights of a 10-day tour of the country. While I normally think of hotels in Africa differently, because 'it's Africa', this doesn't need to be the case with the Manor - it compares favourably to other hotels around the world. The room was large and clean, the beds were comfortable and there was satellite TV, a safe and room service. The bathroom was large with a separate walk-in shower and good water pressure - however we did need to get a guy in when the hot water took a while to run the first time, but after that it was fine.

The food was of good quality - there are several good restaurants to choose from at reasonable prices, and there was a nice breakfast buffet in the mornings. The hotel has a great lounge/bar, with a terrace overlooking the pool and the city beyond. The hotel also has it's own branch of Bank of Kigali, which was incredibly useful when we needed to change money before heading out of the city. There are also shops, a hair salon and bakery. Service was efficient and friendly. Overall, the Manor would fit well in any other city, let alone in Africa, and I would recommend it as both a place to base yourself in the city for a few days, or to relax by the pool and take in the views.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'quiet' room away from the bar.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

A charming hotel probably offering the best views in Kigali. While service could be spotty or slow, the staff were all so polite and trying to be helpful that it was hard to get too upset. There are two restaurants with decent food( continental, Indian) with a third Chinese restaurant about to open. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Internet service sometimes was very good, and spotty or down, at other times. but it worked well enough ,most of the time. The best thing about this hotel was its peaceful location and gorgeous views from the lawn, the bar, and both restaurants. Note that my review makes an allowance for the fact that Rwanda does not have as well developed a tourist or service infrastructure as other African countries, such as Kenya, where I would expect higher standards and the same hotel might rate more poorly.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Kigali, Rwanda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

As a constantly traveling business woman in Africa it takes a lot to annoy me to the point of writing a bad review on trip advisor however 1. Apon arrival I was informed that I could not pay with a Mastercard and that I would have to make my own arrangements to get cash. 2. No internet connection in my room. 3. Barely any of the staff speak enough english to take an order. 4. The carpet looks like it has never been cleaned, it was matted with hair and grime. 5. My arranged driver was 20 minutes late to collect me and take me to my conference in the morning. 6. The circuit for my lights and television blew, which took the maintenance guy about 30 minutes to figure out before I pointed it out to him. 7. The music is SO loud and goes on until 11pm, after calling reception I was told to be patient and wait til it ended. 8. No hot water in shower. 9 When I asked to have a room with hot water reception just didnt bother to call me back. 10. After having had to call down to reception a million times the receptionist passes me over to the IT guy and I over hear her saying "its room 313....AGAIN" Well Manor hotel, you have successfully blacklisted yourself from one of the biggest international organisations...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I definately enjoyed my stay at the Manor. I have been tarvelling into Kigali for the last 2 years and was unsure wether to change from my usual hotel. There restaurant experience was what convinced me to stay.
I stayed in the hotel at which seemed to be a very busy time which i later learned was a wedding.
Upon check in i met a manager Emmy an English man who was very speedy yet polite at getting me checked. I had a drink later in the bar and had an issue with a waiter who seemed uncertain on how to make charges for my visa but the manager Emmy came and cleared the problem and even gave me a complimentary drink.
My stay at the hotel was brief but i will be defiantely changing to this hotel on futre visits to Kigali.
first class attention from first phone call (to check parking arrangements) over a two night stay to leaving ; the quality of rooms and ambience was above expectations.;
On checkout at 3am i forgot my code for my safe and rang down to reception and instantly the manager emmy came to open it and helped me to take my luggage down to the lobby. He entertained me whilest my taxi arrived even though it was obvious he was very busy with the wedding.
If you run into any problems i suggest you ask for emmy the manger he seemed to clear all mine efficently

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Kigali, Rwanda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Definitely a welcome addition to the hotel scene in Kigali. A comfortable, well-built hotel with good facilities and, most noticeably, well-trained, friendly and polite staff. My stay coincided with their New Year party and the staff even arranged for me to change rooms at 0300 when it was clear that my original room was affected by the party's music. Earlier there had been a few issues with my restaurant bill but as soon as the maitre d' became aware of the problem he solved it promptly and courteously. Just don't forget that junior restaurant staff need thorough training too!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!