“Comfortable but certainly not fancy, needs a refurb!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Des Mille Collines by Kempinski
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de L'Armee, Kigali 1322, Rwanda   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Kigali
Chorley, Lancashire
“Comfortable but certainly not fancy, needs a refurb!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed here for one reason, they accepted Mastercard and we had little cash left. The room was quite spacious with a TV (didn't turn it on so can't comment on the quality) and a much needed air con unit. It was clean and the bed was really comfy. The units and bathroom were definitely dated, the veneer was quite chipped and the tiles were tired looking. During the day there was a lot of building work and the associated noise, although this stoppped at around 5pm. The pool, gym and a couple of the bars/restaurants were closed which made the $151 prpn seem quite steep. The reception staff were polite and efficient but a little cold, the breakfast waiting staff were really lovely. The internet was expensive compared to other places in Rwanda, but it worked, quickly so I was pleased. We got a complimentary transfer to the airport on departure day which was good. I'm glad we stayed because of the history of the place but other than that I think it was expensive for what you get, after the refurb it will be great!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Beijing, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Okay, let's put the historical aspects aside - this place is a dump. The building itself is like a Soviet architectural nightmare from the 60s...so, nothing like that colonial grandeur seen in "Hotel Rwanda".

And everything else is mediocre...for example, during my stay there was frequent electricity breaks, the TV did not work at all, the service was extremely slow. They have a long way to go to anything close to 4-star or so...

A big warning: the hotel is still, after several years, under heavy construction and renewation (e.g. pool and gym were closed).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I booked a room in the hotel and on arrival a complimentary shuttle was waiting for me at the airport.We got to the hotel and a nice room facing the city was given to me,usually when I get to a hotel I need to check the internet and that is what makes my day,the connection was very fast and stable.Paul helped me with a computer problem and later on connected to internet.
In terms of the services,the staff were very professional and welcoming,when I go back to Kigali this is definitely my home away from home.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I had previously read a lot of bad reviews here about this hotel but I wanted to stay here for one night so I gave it a chance. I did not see any of the negatives that other people talked about- granted I was here only 1 night and did not check out the pool or restaurant- but things might have changed.

I thought it was a really nice hotel. I did not think my room was overpriced. I stayed in the standard room (the junior and senior suites are a lot more expensive) but I think the standard rooms are good value. I think this hotel is probably more suited as a business hotel than a luxury vacation hotel. I thought the hotel was just as good as hotels I have stayed at for business in the US (except room service here is much faster).

The biggest pro of this hotel is the central location. I ordered room service for lunch and breakfast and it was very fast both times. The room was very clean and comfortable.
The only con was that outside phone calls were ridiculously expensive.

I did not check out the business center or wireless internet access so I have no comment on that. Also, I am not sure if my room had air con because I rarely use it but I don't think Kigali is that hot anyway.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night, on my last night in Africa on a very long trip. I wanted to see what it was like, given the notoriety. It does have quite a reputation both because of what happened, but also as being a nice hotel. And the rates are very high to match the reputation.

The grounds of the hotel are lacking nothing. It has all the facilities of a 4 or 5 star hotel. The pool is enormous. I really enjoyed drinks at the pool-side lounge where they also serve tasty "light fare" like sandwiches etc.

Near the roof there is a stunning restaurant. The food here is delectable with many fine flavours and a price tag to match. And the view in the evening just enchants as the lights on the "thousand hills" twinkle and the warm sweet smells of the African evening waft up. This restaurant area also serves the morning brunch which I think is included in the room.

The room though, did not match the reputation. The carpet was old, the bedspread was tacky polyester, and the wall paper was stained and could have used a good scrubbing. The bed was actually tilting towards my head so I had to sleep with a few pillows to avoid a headache. If you stay here you definitely will not want to stay in your room!! At least unless they have renovated which they may have.

The location is unbeatable however. You are pretty much right in the centre of town. You can easily walk around and go to the tourist office or to many good restaurants.

All around I recommend the hotel, but you get more value for your money elsewhere within the city.

• Stayed February 2007
Rotterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We stayed there for 5 nights in the middle of Feb 2009. They are now in the big scale refurbishment ongoing until end 2009, they say. Now only 40 rooms running, closing any of the panorama restaurant, swimming pool and fittness room... which we did not know and a bit disapointed... however we still think their service was nice and fair price, specially their works against mosquito/insect was excellent and no mosquito net needed. Croissant and pancake in their breakfast were really nice! I still recommend, but it should be much nicer after all the refurbishment works, of course.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

If you go to Kigali, my suggestion is to visit the Milles Collines, but don't stay there. The staff was nice enough. The room was dirty, the carpet was not clean, the drapes were not clean, wasn't sure that the bed linens had been washed, wall paper pealing, bath room dirty, no air, ... the good things about the hotel - pleasant setting, noise was minimal at night, items were safe in the room, staff at restaurant was 4 star... food was ok but don't get the chicken! It was tough! The rest of the food was fine. The dinner staff at the restaurant was wonderful. When I go back if I have to stay at a hotel I will stay somewhere else. Also though it was way over priced.

• Liked — History
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Des Mille Collines by Kempinski? Share your experiences!